U20's Club 2018/19

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Re: U20's Club 2018/19

Post by TrapperChamonix »

mildlyinterested wrote:remarkable how trinity won the all ireland missing several highly talented 20's players:

Tom Clarkson(Prop)
Ryan Baird(Lock)
Michael McGagh(Backrow)
Michael O'Kennedy(Outhalf)
Liam Turner(Centre-WIng)
Ronan Quinn(Wing)
Rob Russell(Back Three)

Might be missing a few players.

Full game here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otaor6g-HhI
Also Ethan Greene (centre), Luiz Ferrara (centre), Anthony Ryan (backrow) & Rory Clarke (backrow/2nd row and Captain). Also 3 hookers (Steve Grey, George Dowling & Ben Nel injured, so great credit to Pat Nixon for the SF and Final performances.
I think last year they dropped a number of players down for the final but his year they stuck with the players who had played with them through the year.
UCC were physical, had a good set piece and agressive line speed, but once Trinity clicked mid way through the 1st half they were always in control. Paddy Opperman 7 trys over the 3 play off games.

But it did take a try in injury time to get past Lansdowne in the SF. That added to losses in the league to Clontarf (x2) & UCD (x1) shows how competitive a competition it is. Given the length of the season you really need a deep squad.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

TrapperChamonix wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:remarkable how trinity won the all ireland missing several highly talented 20's players:

Tom Clarkson(Prop)
Ryan Baird(Lock)
Michael McGagh(Backrow)
Liam Turner(Centre-WIng)
Ronan Quinn(Wing)
Rob Russell(Back Three)

Also Ethan Greene (centre), Luiz Ferrara (centre), Anthony Ryan (backrow) & Rory Clarke (backrow/2nd row and Captain). Also 3 hookers (Steve Grey, George Dowling & Ben Nel injured, so great credit to Pat Nixon for the SF and Final performances.
I think last year they dropped a number of players down for the final but his year they stuck with the players who had played with them through the year.
UCC were physical, had a good set piece and agressive line speed, but once Trinity clicked mid way through the 1st half they were always in control. Paddy Opperman 7 trys over the 3 play off games.

But it did take a try in injury time to get past Lansdowne in the SF. That added to losses in the league to Clontarf (x2) & UCD (x1) shows how competitive a competition it is. Given the length of the season you really need a deep squad.
:clap:
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

One last thing about the final. They did not present runner up medals to UCC on the day. I just dont understand this at all. It seems mean in the extreme not to award RU medals.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

TrapperChamonix wrote:One last thing about the final. They did not present runner up medals to UCC on the day. I just dont understand this at all. It seems mean in the extreme not to award RU medals.
odd alright.
Workhorse
Bookworm

Post by Workhorse »

TrapperChamonix wrote:

Tom Clarkson(Prop)
Ryan Baird(Lock)
Michael McGagh(Backrow)
Liam Turner(Centre-WIng)
Ronan Quinn(Wing)
Rob Russell(Back Three)

Basically the exact same team lost the first round of the McCorry too so all very tight in Leinster 20s this season
TrapperChamonix wrote:One last thing about the final. They did not present runner up medals to UCC on the day. I just dont understand this at all. It seems mean in the extreme not to award RU medals.
U20s competitions never have runners up medals I believe
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

And the Final Chapter of the Provincial U.20 Season saw another big upset in the McCorry Cup final, when Terenure overturned the much fancied Lansdowne team by 19-15 despite conceded a Penalty Try from a scrum.

Terenure were the more disciplined team and used their football 'smarts' to minimise the opportunites for the Lansdowne team, who looked like they might have more attacking threats than their opponents, during the first-half.

Clever line-outs, use of the short side, and excellent work at the back of a retreating scrum from No 8 Melia, were some of the characteristics that earned Terenure this victory. But, perhaps above all else, Terenure's disciplined defence, allied to their support of their ball carriers when in possession, were the key ingredients for this upset.

Side by side with their Senior side's Houdini-like escape from relegation in AIL 1A, the D6W Club will have enjoyed this Spring and early Summer, compared to the tough days of November and December.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Some change in fortune all right. They had been in a bad run of form since the middle of January including loosing to all the teams they beat in the McCorry Cup. I think everyone would have had Lansdowne as firm favorites. Remember they only lost the Fraser McMullen SF in extra time.
So well done Terenure great come back to finish the season. Was there change in personal? Injured players returning? Or did it just take most of the season for them to click?

JP Fanagan
8th Feb Terenure 19 - 23 Blackrock
15th Mar Terenure 10 - 22 DUFC
24th Mar Lansdowne 35 - 7 Terenure

McCorry Cup
31st Mar DUFC 12 - 23 Terenure
14th April Blackrock 13 - 18 Terenure
1st May Lansdowne 15 - 19 Terenure
Workhorse
Bookworm

Post by Workhorse »

TrapperChamonix wrote:Some change in fortune all right. They had been in a bad run of form since the middle of January including loosing to all the teams they beat in the McCorry Cup. I think everyone would have had Lansdowne as firm favorites. Remember they only lost the Fraser McMullen SF in extra time.
So well done Terenure great come back to finish the season. Was there change in personal? Injured players returning? Or did it just take most of the season for them to click?

JP Fanagan

McCorry Cup
Went to the game and was talking to a few Terenure people who I guess were parents but apparently there was a lot of factors, a few injuries after Christmas helped mean they were out of the running for top 4 in the league but not in danger of finishing below 5th so no real incentive in the league which also allowed them to try things in their remaining games which I guess didn't work by the results. The team was also pretty much completely from the school so I'd say the cup focus that would bring played a part. Terenure also weren't too happy with a couple of things around the scheduling of the match which added to their intensity. They just seemed to take more of a cup final approach to the game than Lansdowne in general which showed in their performance. The crowd being pretty heavily Terenure didn't hurt them I guess.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Workhorse wrote:
TrapperChamonix wrote:Some change in fortune all right. They had been in a bad run of form since the middle of January including loosing to all the teams they beat in the McCorry Cup. I think everyone would have had Lansdowne as firm favorites. Remember they only lost the Fraser McMullen SF in extra time.

JP Fanagan

McCorry Cup
Went to the game and was talking to a few Terenure people who I guess were parents but apparently there was a lot of factors, a few injuries after Christmas helped mean they were out of the running for top 4 in the league but not in danger of finishing below 5th so no real incentive in the league which also allowed them to try things in their remaining games which I guess didn't work by the results. The team was also pretty much completely from the school so I'd say the cup focus that would bring played a part. Terenure also weren't too happy with a couple of things around the scheduling of the match which added to their intensity. They just seemed to take more of a cup final approach to the game than Lansdowne in general which showed in their performance. The crowd being pretty heavily Terenure didn't hurt them I guess.
All of the above, plus a really smart Coaching and Execution performance. Particularly in the second-half, as the Terenure players grew in belief against a team that had carved them up in the League, the Terenure team just deprived Lansdowne of the ball and maintained possesion themselves, by playing in areas of the pitch where they had support for the ball carrier.

If you were a neutral, it was a really good coaching clinic, which demonstrated very well that rugby is a team game in which the collective can nearly always overcome Individual size and skill, if they play to what they know and can execute.

AFAIK, the Terenure coaches were winning their third McCorry Cup in four or five years. Given how competitive this competition is and the reality that almost every team starts with a new group each year, this is a superb coaching acheivement given that Terenure are not ever over-endowed with representative players. In fact, even for this final, their centre Adam Lagrue, who spent most of the Season with their Senior side, was withdrawn at the request of the Irish U.20 Management as he is in contention to replace the injured Irish U.20 captain, David Hawkshaw, for the Junior World Cup in Argentina.