Stuart Lancaster joining Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Laighin Break
Mullet

Re: Stuart Lancaster joining Leinster

Post by Laighin Break »

We're only a couple of month into the season and the media are speculating about Lancaster's future. How long will we have to put up with this?
They spent months speculating about Joe and trying to force an answer from him, now that that's done it's just on to someone else :x
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Laighin Break wrote:We're only a couple of month into the season and the media are speculating about Lancaster's future. How long will we have to put up with this?
They spent months speculating about Joe and trying to force an answer from him, now that that's done it's just on to someone else :x
to be fair he is out of contract at the end of the season and retaining him is of highest priority.

I wonder when they will start on player contracts.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

mildlyinterested wrote:
Laighin Break wrote:We're only a couple of month into the season and the media are speculating about Lancaster's future. How long will we have to put up with this?
to be fair he is out of contract at the end of the season and retaining him is of highest priority.

I'd say they've well started with the contracts (not that they're worth the paper they're written on these days). Leinster tend to announce them later than most and in one or two tranches.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

deco wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:

I'd say they've well started with the contracts (not that they're worth the paper they're written on these days). Leinster tend to announce them later than most and in one or two tranches.
Oh leinster has started a long time ago, I meant to the press asking questions about players they know who are out of contract, peddling rumours etc.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on December 7th, 2018, 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Best thing that Leinster can do to convince Lancaster to stay is to win the back to backs against Bath.
C'mon Leinster, C'mon Stuart.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

"There's definitely talks ongoing," he said of his negotiations with his current employers.

"I'm happy with where I'm at. The family situation works, it's not ideal and I've said that consistently that flying backwards and forwards, my daughter's just gone to university and my son is a year away from going to university. I occasionally see my wife.

"But yeah I'm certainly happy with Leinster but we'll see how it all plays out.

"It's up to Andy to build his coaching team. The reality is he needs his coaching team to be ready by January 2020.

"I've not caught up with him actually since the announcement, I will do soon I'm sure and it will be up to him to shape that. I'll have that conversation with him.

"He's the right man for the job in my opinion, I think that when Joe announced he was going there was only one person I felt was qualified to do the job and that was Andy.

"He's sat as an assistant coach for eight years now, four with me and four with Joe.

"And when you're sat in that assistant coaching role you can learn a lot about what you would do when you get your chance and Andy has got the opportunity now over the next six to nine months to put that into place.

"I think of my appointment as England head coach, I got it in December and my first game was in January. Andy's got a year to decide what he wants to do, so I don't think he'll be in a hurry.

"I enjoy club coaching, the day to day stuff. For me it is all about the role that I would do that would give me the best opportunity to keep developing as a leader.

"But it's up to Andy to formulate his plans, but one thing is for certain he will always get my 110% support."

Lancaster said he had not given much thought to a return to his position as England coach, despite interim RFU chief executive Nigel Melville's recent comments saying the union would be open to talking to the coach who presided over the country's home World Cup quarter-final exit.

"I think they suggested that every coach in world rugby is of interest, I don't think it's narrowed down to me," he said.

"I think that was the way it was described, but I think Nigel Melville said they'd be happy to talk to any coach and I'd fall into that category."

"It's a hypothetical situation because it's never been suggested. I've never spoken to Nigel Melville or the RFU so I don't even exercise my mind thinking about it."
https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 11147.html
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Bomber on the BBC
"The one thing I've learned is that, for me, it's all about the role and the people," Lancaster told BBC Radio 5 Live's Sportsweek programme.

"After the World Cup I went to Australia. One of the people I met was [England rugby league coach] Wayne Bennett, who told me whatever I did or wherever I went to make sure I 100% wanted to go there and they 100% wanted me to come. It was probably the best advice I was given, and I genuinely feel that at Leinster.

"The role is a hands-on coaching role, which I really enjoy. It's with good people in a talented squad, it suits my family, which is hugely important because you put them through a huge amount when you are a national coach.

"It's not ideal because I don't live at home in Leeds but I can get home to see the family so it would take a strong position outside of Leinster for me to leave because it's such a good environment to be in."
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

blockhead wrote:Bomber on the BBC
"The one thing I've learned is that, for me, it's all about the role and the people," Lancaster told BBC Radio 5 Live's Sportsweek programme.

"After the World Cup I went to Australia. One of the people I met was [England rugby league coach] Wayne Bennett, who told me whatever I did or wherever I went to make sure I 100% wanted to go there and they 100% wanted me to come. It was probably the best advice I was given, and I genuinely feel that at Leinster.

"The role is a hands-on coaching role, which I really enjoy. It's with good people in a talented squad, it suits my family, which is hugely important because you put them through a huge amount when you are a national coach.

"It's not ideal because I don't live at home in Leeds but I can get home to see the family so it would take a strong position outside of Leinster for me to leave because it's such a good environment to be in."
It was a decent length interview in which the Presenter eventually confirmed with him that unless a really outstanding opportunity arose, he wasn't considering leaving Leinster when his contract ends in May because he was really enjoying every aspect of the role, notably that Leo, effectively as Director of Rugby who also did some Coaching, undertook most of the aspects that Lancaster did not enjoy.

You can hear the interview on:

BBC Fivelive Podcast 23/12/2018 starting at 25.20 mins
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Hi Stu? Can you give the prospective employers a shopping list of what you want in the job offer?

It only makes it harder to hod onto him.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
XyzFoo
Beginner

Post by XyzFoo »

The year is 2100. Stewart Lancaster, having discovered the secrets of immortality and shared them with a grateful world, has become the greatest hero in history. He addresses a crowd of cheering people, taking questions one by one.

"Stewart, can you tell us how you felt, crashing out of your home world cup in 2015?"

"Do you think you have put that behind you yet?"
XyzFoo
Beginner

Post by XyzFoo »

(It is a nice article, btw, he always comes across really well. But he must have the patience of a saint to keep hearing about healing those wounds etc.)
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

blockhead wrote:https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.3762807

Nice article on Bomber
It is but I think he shouldn't have been asked about his dad.
That's very personal and still very raw in my experience.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Oldschool wrote:

Nice article on Bomber
Yeah, I’d generally agree. But it’s not clear whether he raised it- or was happy to talk. In my own experience, that’s a phenomenon of the grieving cycle.

But I’m more irked by the constant viewing of “Lancaster at Leinster” through the optic of his departure from the England job. Jeez- give it rest...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

artaneboy wrote:
Oldschool wrote:

Nice article on Bomber
Yeah, I’d generally agree. But it’s not clear whether he raised it- or was happy to talk. In my own experience, that’s a phenomenon of the grieving cycle.

But I’m more irked by the constant viewing of “Lancaster at Leinster” through the optic of his departure from the England job. Jeez- give it rest...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Article is from the Guardian - says so at the bottom. Makes sense a British paper would take that angle.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

His profile is rising in the media again. The match yesterday showed him numerous times, including halftime. That will put his name into the minds of recruiters unfortunately
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

ribs wrote:His profile is rising in the media again. The match yesterday showed him numerous times, including halftime. That will put his name into the minds of recruiters unfortunately
The negative side of success. Still, it's better to have him and for him to be in demand than anything else.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D8Y7_al9pY

so lucky to have him coaching this team.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

England's form hopefully means a few less worries for hanging on to him
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Lancaster not going anywhere, Leinster can get better...
Former England head coach Stuart Lancaster has revealed he turned down offers from Premiership clubs before signing a two-year extension to his contract with Leinster that takes him through to 2021.

Lancaster also stated that he has no immediate intention to return to the English game, even though his family circumstances involving his teenage offspring will soon change and enable him to re-locate.

Lancaster has enjoyed notable success since arriving at Leinster three years ago in the wake of England’s disappointing 2015 World Cup campaign and will help lead the Irish province into the defence of their European Champions Cup title against Saracens at St James’ Park on Saturday.

“If I'm enjoying somewhere like I am here at the moment I don’t see a reason to leave,” said Lancaster. “As the kids get older I might feel inclined to look further afield if an opportunity came up. Again, it would have to be a persuasive argument. I enjoy the day-to-day club coaching.

“I'm 49 and I want to work for a long time. I don’t want to finish in the next five years. After the World Cup I was looking (around). At that time Leinster were looking too, and were going through a transitional period. They had lost to Connacht in the Pro14 final and only won one game in Europe and were beaten by 100 points by Wasps (over two legs). There was work to be done here.

“There were opportunities to go to other (Premiership) clubs but it would take a lot to make me leave now because of the quality of the players and of the environment. Why would you want to turn your back on that success? Dublin is a great city and the commute (from home in Leeds) is fine. It was an easy decision to stay. There is still more scope for growth here. It would take a lot to persuade me to leave.”

There is, though, no chance that Lancaster will join forces with his former defence coach Andy Farrell, who will take over as Ireland head coach following the 2019 Rugby World Cup in Japan.

“It’s Andy’s time and he is definitely the right man for the job,” said Lancaster. “He only lives 10 minutes from here and we speak regularly. I will support him as best I can. I enjoy day-to-day coaching. As an international coach, you have very intense periods and then less intense periods. Both (sorts of coaching) appeal. Obviously international rugby is an amazing experience. When you win it’s the best feeling in the world but when you lose it's the worst.”

Leinster have been boosted by news that hooker Sean Cronin, joint-top try-scorer in the competition, is expected to recover from the groin injury that forced him off in the semi-final against Toulouse. New Zealand-born, strong-running wing James Lowe is also set to start, with Jamison Gibson-Park not likely to train until Thursday with a hamstring problem.