Game 1: Leinster away to Glasgow [06/09/14] Sky Sports

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Game 1: Leinster away to Glasgow [06/09/14] Sky Sports

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:
rdsblue wrote:RTE now only have the 6 Nations to cover in rugby.It seems they are just giving up which probably means they will be outbid for the 6N eventually and then they will just leave the rugby TV field altogether. So much for their national remit and responsibility to the licence holders.
They could quite convincingly argue that their national remit and responsibility as regards rugby is being adequately served by covering the 6 Nations (which must remain on terrestrial television).
Dont forget good Rock boy and RTE rugby commentator Ryle Nugent is head of RTE sport, unless tv3 outbid them somehow they wont lose 6n
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I did see that Joe was at some TV3 schedule launch last week, presume that's for the World Cup or did I miss something?
ichabodscrane
Graduate

Game 1: Leinster away to Glasgow [06/09/14] Sky Sports

Post by ichabodscrane »

Stuart Barnes is recently quoted as saying that the top end of the Pro12 is more competitive & of better quality than the AP.

That's why I'm personally glad that Sky have gotten on board. Hopefully they will inform the armchair rugby fan with quality interactive commentary. If only we had the rugby equivalent of Gary Ferguson & Jamie Rodgers :)
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

ichabodscrane wrote:Stuart Barnes is recently quoted as saying that the top end of the Pro12 is more competitive & of better quality than the AP.

That's why I'm personally glad that Sky have gotten on board. Hopefully they will inform the armchair rugby fan with quality interactive commentary. If only we had the rugby equivalent of Gary Ferguson & Jamie Rodgers :)
When he's grunting O'CONNELL during a game and you can't help but think he must be pulling the stomach off himself you may have some regrets. you may even get to hear about Munsters history and story in the HEC in the middle of a game! Frankie Sheehan may even be on hand to tell a story or 2 about himself or one of his clients.

Broadly speaking it's great that they're on board and I'm happy with what they can bring in terms of marketing and punditry, but they have their drawbacks.

Wouldn't be all that fussed if RTE lost the 6N if it meant less Hook.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

blockhead wrote:RTE don't deserve to cover the Pro12 after the way they derided it at every available opportunity over the years. Even at last years final that t*at Hook was calling it a joke competition minutes before the game kicked off FFS!
With this after ignoring the game and talking about 'brain damage' for the huge majority of time before the Rabo Final started?
grahamwa
Beginner

Post by grahamwa »

ichabodscrane wrote:Stuart Barnes is recently quoted as saying that the top end of the Pro12 is more competitive & of better quality than the AP.
He can say anything he wants, I doubt in his heart of heart he believes it. Even if it is true. Sky are paying his wages and he needs to promote their "new" product. Do you not think they are raging that they got outbid by BT? Their market audience will plummet as no one in Englandshire except ex-pats from the competing countries will tune in. I'm happy they are on board as I'm one of the pats :D
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

grahamwa wrote:
He can say anything he wants, I doubt in his heart of heart he believes it. Even if it is true. Sky are paying his wages and he needs to promote their "new" product. Do you not think they are raging that they got outbid by BT? Their market audience will plummet as no one in Englandshire except ex-pats from the competing countries will tune in. I'm happy they are on board as I'm one of the pats :D
Of course it is better quality. Look at the record of Ulster, Munster and ourselves against the english sides in the Heino. And by the way, I do think he (Barnes) believes it, he said it a few times over the last few years.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
grahamwa
Beginner

Post by grahamwa »

blockhead wrote: I do think he (Barnes) believes it, he said it a few times over the last few years.
You're maybe right, I'm not his biggest fan. Maybe he's thinking of his Newport roots and he's forgiven the Welsh for dumping him.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

Its largely irrelevant whether he believes it or not. The real point is it will be refreshing to hear the broadcaster promoting the league rather than deriding it.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Does anyone know if cronin or Dundon are available for Saturday as going over to Glasgow with just Byrne as our only option at hooker doesn't give me much confidence ahead of what could be our hardest away game of the season. I know it's the opening game but we always struggle over there and they will come out flying into us after the result in the pro 12 final. We need a bit of experience over there and with the senior lads all being held back for another week or so, we could be in for a long night!!!
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Losing bonus point would be a decent result..
Expect a weakened team but not as weak as Munster's team.
Team to be announced at 12.
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

I think we'll see two internationals (Irish). Gonna hope it's SOB and Healy. Maybe three, with Ferg, considering we're a little light on the wings right now. So, potential team of...

Healy
Byrne
Furlong
Denton
McCarthy
SOB
Jennings
Conan
Boss
Gopperth
Fanning
Reid
Macken
McFadden
Kirchner
QBer
Knowledgeable

Post by QBer »

Leinster

15. Zane Kirchner
14. Fergus McFadden
13. Brendan Macken
12. Noel Reid
11. Darragh Fanning
10. Jimmy Gopperth
9. Isaac Boss
1. Cian Healy
2. Sean Cronin
3. Mike Ross
4. Ben Marshall
5. Mike McCarthy
6. Dominic Ryan
7. Shane Jennings
8. Sean O'Brien CAPTAIN

16. Bryan Byrne
17. Jack McGrath
18. Tadhg Furlong
19. Tom Denton
20. Kevin McLaughlin
21. Luke McGrath
22. Ian Madigan
23. Mick McGrath

Referee: Nigel Owens (WRU, 112th competition game)
Assistant Referees: Neil Paterson, Bob Nevins (both SRU)
Citing Commissioner: Paul Minto (SRU)
TMO: Jim Yuille (SRU)
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Far stronger leinster side than i expected..
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

TrapperChamonix wrote:Its largely irrelevant whether he believes it or not. The real point is it will be refreshing to hear the broadcaster promoting the league rather than deriding it.
Yep cant wait.Expect I'm in the minrity but I detest the Sky coverage of rugby of all varieties HC Aviva premiership the lot and their commentators and most of the pundits.Yes they put on a show but that seems to be what it's all about.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Boss starting over McGrath :(
Mike McGrath on the bench :)
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Stronger than I expected too. Well done Mick McGrath!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Great to see Ben Marshall start again.
We could be facing an issue in the lineout though, surely one of the shortest 4-8 packs we've ever sent out?
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

wixfjord wrote:Great to see Ben Marshall start again.
We could be facing an issue in the lineout though, surely one of the shortest 4-8 packs we've ever sent out?
yeah, Marshall tallest player at 6'5, Ryan and McCarthy at 6'4.