Wasps QF

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Leinster Lout
Graduate

Wasps QF

Post by Leinster Lout »

Just watching them here v Northampton. Daly, Varndell, Wade all very dangerous (Daly looks a super young talent). Vunipola is a very good ball carrier at no.8. Big lesson from this for Joe and Jono though should be to practise our mauls, because they can't defend them at all. They've conceded 3 yellow cards and at least one try directly from mauls. Varndell and Wade are defensively naive at the back too.
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Wasps QF

Post by simonno6 »

couldnt see out the last 5 minutes though - gonna lose here, last minute try under posts. Northampton kick to win
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

First home defeat of the season. first of many
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

front row weak, no depth in general, zero pace at 10, wings poor defensively, enough weaknesses to aim at
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Will BOD definitely be missing for this game? It's quite a hammer blow if he is. When can we expect the likes of McFadden back? I rate O'Malley, but think he's quite physically weak in defence, not for a lack of effort, but he's a hole that can be punched through. Might even prefer a Goodman, D'Arcy midfield for this.

Hope the rest of the squad can stay fit between now and then..
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

[Jackass] wrote:Will BOD definitely be missing for this game? It's quite a hammer blow if he is. When can we expect the likes of McFadden back? I rate O'Malley, but think he's quite physically weak in defence, not for a lack of effort, but he's a hole that can be punched through. Might even prefer a Goodman, D'Arcy midfield for this.

Hope the rest of the squad can stay fit between now and then..
|Unless he appeals his ban. Yes. Probably would have been announced by now if he was.

Macken is an option too. Bigger but not great in defence earlier in the season.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

I think they'll stick with EOM. If Macken was in consideration, I think they would have brought him off the bench at some point last night. I reckon they wanted to get another 80 under EOM's belt. McFadden is probably best left on the wing and would do a good job on extinguishing the Wasps wing threat. That would give us a relatively strong back line although EOM needs to step up to the next level now, he has been a little bit quiet and has 5 appearances since returning now.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

I'd sooner have a natural 13 like O'Malley play there rather than shoe horning Ferg (if fit) or D'Arce into the position when they could be used far more effectively in more familiar positions.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Tox56
Learner

Post by Tox56 »

O'Malley's perfectly timed tackle was one of the turning points of the game last night, you could feel the crowd getting behind the team after that. He's not huge but he's a very intelligent defender. No way would I want to see Ferg or D'Arcy there. The lack of creativity in the Goodman-D'Arcy midfield was a major problem against Clermont
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

the amount darc has slimmed down 13 might suit him more now
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Right, time to look past yesterday to a massive game this weekend. If we win it, we have two home games in the RDS to win a European title. Wasps are on a very bad run at the moment after losing the last 4 games including two at home. They've now slipped out of the HEC spots. They have to go away to the Tigers next so their hopes of that 6th spot might be circling the drain. They might well be viewing this game as the opportunity to get their season back on track, step away from the AP and look at winning the ACC to qualify automatically.

With all that said and done, we should be looking at it as a way to get our campaign back on track and chase silverware too. No taking our foot off the gas here and we'll need to come out of the traps flying. Hopefully, we'll get one or two of the lads back and will be able to solidify our team with the returnees. Hopefully, we're looking at:

Healy, Strauss, Ross, Cullen, Toner, McLaughlin, SOB, Heaslip, Boss, Madigan, Nacewa, Darce, EOM, McFadden, Kearney.
Subs: Cronin, VDM, Hagan, Roux, Jennings/Ruddock, Cooney, Goodman, Kearney.

I think regardless of Macken's injury, EOM should start this one. We need someone who can read the game well. We missed someone last night who could shut down the width on opposition ball. We simply cannot let Varndell and Wade get quick ball in space so EOM reading the line and cutting off the supply could be vital. In the same vein, I'd resist bringing McFadden into the centre. I'd want a hard hitting, strong tackler with pace on the wing. Dave Kearney still isn't inspiring in that role and he slipped off Gilroy badly in the build up to the three pointer that Ross gave away.

Some might raise an eyebrow at the notion of Ruddock possibly on the bench ahead of Jennings but I feel that the times are a changing and there's a slight shift in the last couple of months. Jennings will get the nod, I'm sure but I think his legs aren't quite where they were. Ruddock has looked very good since returning from surgery and offers a good, close in carrying option as well as being superb at clearing the rucks with his snow plough impression. I think the rest of the team essentially selects itself.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

No arguements with that team. Will D'Arce be fit? Still not sure why he was pulled out of Sat's match. Macken may have more potential then O'Malley but, until he sorts his defensive issues out, I'd have Eoin ahead of him every time.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Cianostays wrote:No arguements with that team. Will D'Arce be fit? Still not sure why he was pulled out of Sat's match. Macken may have more potential then O'Malley but, until he sorts his defensive issues out, I'd have Eoin ahead of him every time.
Illness. No injury. Reports of Chris Henry slipping some uncooked chicken into his lunch. Sneaky gringos.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Cianostays wrote:No arguements with that team. Will D'Arce be fit? Still not sure why he was pulled out of Sat's match. Macken may have more potential then O'Malley but, until he sorts his defensive issues out, I'd have Eoin ahead of him every time.
He had a bug according to the television
Jackie Brown
Knowledgeable

Post by Jackie Brown »

Are tickets available for this game? Over for the game in Twickenhill and would love to get another game in!
STAND UP FOR THE ULSTERMEN!
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Jackie Brown wrote:Are tickets available for this game? Over for the game in Twickenhill and would love to get another game in!
Seems to be according to the charming people at rip off master :wink:

http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/event/360 ... rcatid=225

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I think the way we can win this game, and need to address it, is forwards based.
Put the pressure on their scrum, disrupt the backrow and get into Simpson's face.

I'd start something like:
Healy, Strauss, Ross, Cullen, Toner, Ruddock, SOB, Heaslip, Boss, Madser, Isa, Darcy, MCF, DK, RK

Ruddock in because I think on a smaller pitch he can add that ballast that we'll need and can carry in close. MCF at 13 because I think he's the most solid option we have for this type of game.

Basically a similar type of gameplan as we played in Glasgow and Bath last year.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Macken broken hand, out for 6 weeks. Definitely not around for this one and his season is possibly over. Shame, he is quite injury prone unfortunately.

Sexton is in contention but a decision won't be made until Thursday but rated as unlikely. Darce and McFadden back in. Nothing else to report.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Jackie Brown wrote:Are tickets available for this game? Over for the game in Twickenhill and would love to get another game in!
There appear to be some available directly from Wasps website HERE
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

ceemec wrote:Macken broken hand, out for 6 weeks. Definitely not around for this one and his season is possibly over. Shame, he is quite injury prone unfortunately.

Sexton is in contention but a decision won't be made until Thursday but rated as unlikely. Darce and McFadden back in. Nothing else to report.
I heard on the radio that Sexton is unavailable. SOB McFadden and Darce back in. Whats ur source?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles