Sky to cover Rabo??

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

tate
Shane Horgan

Re: Rumour Mill

Post by tate »

In today's "Breakdown" from the guardian:
Sky is in talks with the Celtic unions about securing the exclusive rights to the RaboDirect Pro 12, which are up for tender for the 2014-15 season onwards. As well as injecting money into the tournament, Sky could also help in its projection, helping cut the lag with the Premiership.
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

tate wrote:In today's "Breakdown" from the guardian:
Sky is in talks with the Celtic unions about securing the exclusive rights to the RaboDirect Pro 12, which are up for tender for the 2014-15 season onwards. As well as injecting money into the tournament, Sky could also help in its projection, helping cut the lag with the Premiership.
I'd love that. IF they covered ALL the games like Setanta used to.

Seeing as they only cover a few Premiership games as it is........
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

johng wrote:
I'd love that. IF they covered ALL the games like Setanta used to.

Seeing as they only cover a few Premiership games as it is........
Isn't that because ESPN have some of the EP games?
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Between them they cover up to 4 games. Sometimes only 2. (out of 6) That's what it looks like to me anyway.
nopeare
Graduate

Post by nopeare »

Really hope this is true, I would think it would provide extra revenue for the Welsh and Scottish regions, Sky are also brilliant at promotion and could grow interest in their regions which in turn would mean more revenue for us and maybe a more exciting/competitive league.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

It would be great for the league if sky came on board. They're the masters of promotion/spin.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

nopeare wrote:
Really hope this is true, I would think it would provide extra revenue for the Welsh and Scottish regions, Sky are also brilliant at promotion and could grow interest in their regions which in turn would mean more revenue for us and maybe a more exciting/competitive league.
These are the people that gave me a car racing channel I didn't ask for and have never watched then bumped up the subscriptions. At least at the moment you get to see most (?) games for the price of your license fee (or is that just us that get the BBC NI/ALba/Wales and S4C?).
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
nopeare
Graduate

Post by nopeare »

domhnallj wrote:
nopeare wrote:
These are the people that gave me a car racing channel I didn't ask for and have never watched then bumped up the subscriptions. At least at the moment you get to see most (?) games for the price of your license fee (or is that just us that get the BBC NI/ALba/Wales and S4C?).
I doubt they will bump the subscription fee considering they are losing the Aviva premiership, I just see it as a swap for the Rabo (*edit: its not like the racing either where its a whole new channel, it will be filling AP previous slots). We can get BBC NI/ALba/Wales and S4C on other channels on sky as well so do get what ever is on them any way

So as I see it as they have a good rugby set up already, so they will just be swapping it onto the Rabo rather than the AP. Also it will most likely result in us having a decent weekly rugby show in the Rugby Club showing analysis of the matches. The Rugby Club don't really show anything that isn't covered by sky.
Last edited by nopeare on March 14th, 2013, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

That's Great/Terrible!
For the Pro12/me!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

domhnallj wrote:
nopeare wrote:
You need sky to get all but one of those channels here. Plus, loads of games are on no telly at all. 3 out of 4 of Leinster's games during the 6N were not on the box anywhere.

When Setanta covered the league you could watch Embra v Connacht live. Or any other team you fancied. They covered EVERY game. ON ONE CHANNEL. (ok 2 channels)

Now you need a degree in satellite technology to figure out where to watch IF indeed you can.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

RTE and BBC Wales care for nothing outside the international game. Good riddance to both of them.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

cormac wrote:RTE and BBC Wales care for nothing outside the international game. Good riddance to both of them.
Absolutely this. Would feel for TG4 though (despite not enjoying their coverage), they did a lot for Celtic rugby in the early years.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I don't have Sky and have frequently said that I'd sooner burn a fiver than give it to Murdoch.

BUT... given the massive gulf in coverage and respect given to the league between Setanta and RTE/TG4 etc. I would be at first glance be in favour of this. It's better that a good product is available to those that want than an inferior one shoved down an unwilling and disinterested audience. I think.
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

I'm not happy with the idea of Sky as broadcasters, first I'm a student and I can't afford sky and second I can't imagine that Sky will show more than 3 or 4 games a weekend and I feel that current broadcasters show more.

However I am happy that Sky are showing interest. In an ideal world for me, RTE/TG4/BBC NI/BBC Alba/BBC W/S4C would keep the rights but sky's interest would drive up the price so that the clubs would get twice as much money.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

If people think they don't get to see enough Leinster games live on TV, wait till Sky get exclusive rights. It would be a disaster. They would only cover a couple of games a weekend at most.

Currently the AP gets 3 games out of 6 each weekend and that's between Sky and ESPN. I would expect we'd see about 40% of Leinster games televised if we were very lucky.
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Sky to cover Rabo??

Post by Mauler »

From The Breakdown mail from The Guardian
While I think it would be a great move to get Sky involved with our league, as they would no doubt promote and market it positively, similar to the way they have transformed H Cup coverage, rather than the snide, ill-informed and begrudging coverage we currently enjoy from the State broadcaster. However, would Sky feel obliged to cover only a limited number of games per weekend, and if so presumably on a rotational basis, meaning that we might get less of our games covered than we do at the moment?

Sky is looking for ways to fill the hole left by the loss of Aviva Premiership matches to BT Vision from next season.

It has already been hoovering up international rights this year, adding Ireland, France and Italy to their autumn international package next year along with England, but that only amounts to a month of action.

Sorting out the kick-off times would be a start. Friday and Saturday nights and the occasional Sunday have not proved popular in Wales where the average crowd is around 8,000.
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

johng wrote:
domhnallj wrote:At least at the moment you get to see most (?) games for the price of your license fee (or is that just us that get the BBC NI/ALba/Wales and S4C?).
You need sky to get all but one of those channels here.
I do not have Sky or any subscription TV package and get all those channels.

I'm in Peg Leg's camp. Great for the league. Terrible for me. If Sky got exclusive rights then I'd have no live rugby on TV other than the 6N and RWC.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Re: Sky to cover Rabo??

Post by Logorrhea »

Also being discussed here:http://forum.leinsterfans.com/viewtopic ... start=1580

mod may want to merge one with the other
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

johng wrote:
domhnallj wrote:At least at the moment you get to see most (?) games for the price of your license fee (or is that just us that get the BBC NI/ALba/Wales and S4C?).
You need sky to get all but one of those channels here.
They are all available on Freeview John.

:evil: Not happy about this at all - don't have Sky and am not likely to be in a position to get it anytime soon so this is really bad from my point of view. If coverage has to go to a 'paid' service I'd much sooner it went to Setanta - at least they would cover every game.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

anything Sky show is easy to watch for free online ( i use firstrowsport.eu)

Sky will talk it up, as it stands there is next to no mention of the Rabo on Sky news or Sky Sports news and for years was zero mention, that will change massively

We get less of Frankie Sheehan, George Hook and the Cork Con Mafia, Mark McDermot, Eoin O'Neachtain

Leinster will be the marquee team in that league to Sky, plus have the biggest catchment area in terms of viewers. English rugby viewers will more likely watch Leinster and Munster (due to HC status) than Scottish, Italians. Theyre not going to rush to show Italian games but presumably theyll use outside feed for Treviso v Leinster etc

Commentary will all be in English

Downside is there might be the odd extra Thursday game and/or some matches red button only

In terms of general coverage would be prefer to show Rabo over Currie Cup where there would be a clash sometimes?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon