Question for people who play/played

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Amz
Mullet

Question for people who play/played

Post by Amz »

How do you feel, as a player when a team mate shows up still drunk/hungover for matches?
Is it something that bothers you? Particularly if you're in competition for places etc. I understand most play rugby socially and some teams are stuck for numbers so can't be picky. Is it up to coaches/selectors to take issue with it, or should there be a kind of honour system in place, or is it something that should just be accepted as part of the game.

Was having a chat with a friend about this recently, their attitude was similar to my own, I feel it shows a lck of respect for your team mates, it's the main reason why I stopped playing Gaelic football and it's not something I'd do mysel, but lots of people seem to have no issue with it.

Would be interested in other people's thoughts.
I guess it applies to all team sports really.
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Question for people who play/played

Post by gfo »

If your mate is good enough to be on par with the team when he's drunk/hungover then I have no problem with it. He's obviously a talented player looking for social rugby without serious training.

If he isn't good enough to be on par with the rest of the team, drop him. I can see it being an issue if you need the guy due to lack of numbers though.

If your good, and properly committed to playing serious rugby, and everyone else on the team is there for a laugh, you should move up to like J3 or whatever.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Amz wrote:How do you feel, as a player when a team mate shows up still drunk/hungover for matches?
Is it something that bothers you? Particularly if you're in competition for places etc. I understand most play rugby socially and some teams are stuck for numbers so can't be picky. Is it up to coaches/selectors to take issue with it, or should there be a kind of honour system in place, or is it something that should just be accepted as part of the game.

Was having a chat with a friend about this recently, their attitude was similar to my own, I feel it shows a lck of respect for your team mates, it's the main reason why I stopped playing Gaelic football and it's not something I'd do mysel, but lots of people seem to have no issue with it.

Would be interested in other people's thoughts.
I guess it applies to all team sports really.
I took my sports(participation) very seriously.
Had that on 2 teams I was involved with. Put up with it the first time but didn't 2nd time round. 2 players were issued with ultimatums, neither responded favourably so they were shown the door.
3 Gold Stars
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

It's a choice that the players and team have to make. People play for fun. It's not fun to put your body on the line for someone who's letting the team down with their behaviour. Late nights are only one thing that can count. It's not fun to sacrifice your social life.

If the team are upfront about what standards are expected then it's fair and there are no problems.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

gfo wrote:If your mate is good enough to be on par with the team when he's drunk/hungover then I have no problem with it. He's obviously a talented player looking for social rugby without serious training.

If he isn't good enough to be on par with the rest of the team, drop him. I can see it being an issue if you need the guy due to lack of numbers though.

If your good, and properly committed to playing serious rugby, and everyone else on the team is there for a laugh, you should move up to like J3 or whatever.
If he played in the front row, I'd drop him. I'm an ex SR - Do I need to explain?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

I don't think it's acceptable at all. It shows a lack of respect for the team (regardless of the standard of said team) and never mind anything else it's dangerous!

Drink as much as you like after the game but not before it.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Hungover: What you do about this kind of depends on the level you're playing at, but this happens all the time and I wouldn't say it's a big deal. I even know of Leinster players who have played games hungover, so I personally wouldn't be too sanctimonious about it.

Drunk: That's just retarded, and I'd send the lad home.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
rookie
Graduate

Post by rookie »

Watched a local soccer match a few years ago. A full back was sent off for being too drunk?
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

Jaysus, although I guess you do need more co-ordination to play football :) pirouettes are tough!

One issue with the hungover/drunk thing for me is, surely your abilities are somewhat compromised, if you're in that state. Now maybe with rugby you can get away with it more in certain positions. Reaction times are surely going to be down. At the very least you're going to be really dehydrated and at the top level in particular that's going to affect your recovery and possibly impact the next game too. You can't be at 100% for your team when in that state.

I just think it shows a lack of respect.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

rookie wrote:Watched a local soccer match a few years ago. A full back was sent off for being too drunk?
Wasn't Tony Adams by any chance?
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

I'd be pissed off if a team mate showed up in a state before a game. I suppose once in a while is fine but if it's a recurring theme that'd be totally unacceptable in my book.

Have your pints afterwards, not the night before.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

CiaranIrl wrote:Hungover: What you do about this kind of depends on the level you're playing at, but this happens all the time and I wouldn't say it's a big deal. I even know of Leinster players who have played games hungover, so I personally wouldn't be too sanctimonious about it.

Drunk: That's just retarded, and I'd send the lad home.
I'd be very santimonious about Leinster players playing hungover!! I know you're right about this happening and it wasn't that long ago that some of our star players had a different attitude!

For any sport - if you're doing sport why on earth would you go on the piss when you know you've got a game? I'd be mortified that I let the team down (no matter what the level). I remember playing a footy match a few years ago when one of the lads showed up hungover and had a shocker and we lost a narrow game. The lads tore 40 shades of shite from him in the dressing room and rightly so in my opinion!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

Flash Gordon wrote:
I'd be very santimonious about Leinster players playing hungover!! I know you're right about this happening and it wasn't that long ago that some of our star players had a different attitude!

For any sport - if you're doing sport why on earth would you go on the piss when you know you've got a game? I'd be mortified that I let the team down (no matter what the level). I remember playing a footy match a few years ago when one of the lads showed up hungover and had a shocker and we lost a narrow game. The lads tore 40 shades of shite from him in the dressing room and rightly so in my opinion!
There were changing rooms in the Pat Grace Famous Fried Chicken League??? :shock:
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
PCASEY
Knowledgeable

Post by PCASEY »

hung over = concentration not where it should be,
concentration not where it should be = danger to them selves and others
some one who puts my safety at risk, any ones safety for that matter is beyond reprehensible and utterly unacceptable. What they do on their own time is their own business, turn up for a game hung over and your on the teams time, your on my time and by chr1st you will be turned around and marched back out the door
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Mauler wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:

There were changing rooms in the Pat Grace Famous Fried Chicken League??? :shock:
There sure were Mauler. With special lockers for storing our sovereign rings all with the name Anto on them. :wink:
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Mauler wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:

There sure were Mauler. With special lockers for storing our sovereign rings all with the name Anto on them. :wink:
Back then, they were all called Eddie or Eugene. They wore Wiyan box jackets, and sawn off shoes with white socks and drank in "de Herp"