Bath v Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Bath v Leinster

Post by Degz »

Leinster Exile wrote:
Degz wrote:12.45 kick off, yes? Arriving in Bristol at 11am see....
Thats going to be tight. Would suggest a taxi straight to Bath. However the Taxi service is shocking
Train from bristol temple meads to bath spa at 11.30. I'm hoping to get that.
kendalgerty
Graduate

Post by kendalgerty »

A few selection posers for this one. I'd stick with Healy in spite of a couple of funny (perculiar not haha) prformances from him in recent weeks. Toner almost picks himself. And I'd like to see Jenno in the 7 shirt, epecially on the back of a great performance on friday night, but more generally, because I always think our backrow is always better with him in it. Scrum half I haven't made my mind up yet - both look to be playing great and it'll be a 50-30 split regardless. I'd stick with the backline that beat Glasgow. Anyone that would leave Kearney out of an away game in Europe in mid-winter needs to be a bit less cavalier imho. Harsh on Fergus, but I think O'Malley is a better 13.
http://whiffofcordite.com/ - Whiff of Cordite - The Rugby Nerd's Blog
Fred Funk
Mullet

Post by Fred Funk »

Degz wrote:
Leinster Exile wrote:
Thats going to be tight. Would suggest a taxi straight to Bath. However the Taxi service is shocking
You would be doing very well. Gone by taxi with others before and much better option in a group.
Just booked one in advance at the time. I can understand if you are on your own, but if you want to get to the game
it would be worth it.
AidanSloan
Knowledgeable

Post by AidanSloan »

Degz wrote:
Leinster Exile wrote:
That will be tight. It's a few years since I did it but if i remember correctly the bus journey was 30 minutes. But the train journey can be as short as 15 minutes if it doesn't stop at all the local stations so a later train should get you into Bath on time.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Apparently we can't survive without Rob Kearney at 15. I mean, who else in the squad is remotely capable of steering us through a pool game against the AP's third-from-bottom side? I'm racking my brains and just can't think who might fit that exalted standard...

Anyone?
kendalgerty
Graduate

Post by kendalgerty »

jezzer wrote:Apparently we can't survive without Rob Kearney at 15. I mean, who else in the squad is remotely capable of steering us through a pool game against the AP's third-from-bottom side? I'm racking my brains and just can't think who might fit that exalted standard...

Anyone?
Yes, yes, I know, I know, Isa and all that. Fair enough, I more meant picking the likes of Fionn Carr in the back three at his expense... I know Bath look pretty terrible, but away matches in the HEC will never be cakewalks, so I'd be putting Kearney at full back every time (it would be different if Shaggy was available and you'd a straigt shootout between Isa and Rob for 15).
http://whiffofcordite.com/ - Whiff of Cordite - The Rugby Nerd's Blog
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

kendalgerty wrote:
jezzer wrote:Apparently we can't survive without Rob Kearney at 15. I mean, who else in the squad is remotely capable of steering us through a pool game against the AP's third-from-bottom side? I'm racking my brains and just can't think who might fit that exalted standard...

Anyone?
Yes, yes, I know, I know, Isa and all that. Fair enough, I more meant picking the likes of Fionn Carr in the back three at his expense... I know Bath look pretty terrible, but away matches in the HEC will never be cakewalks, so I'd be putting Kearney at full back every time (it would be different if Shaggy was available and you'd a straigt shootout between Isa and Rob for 15).
To be fair, it wasn't just you. But seriously, Leinster's best back three doesn't have Rob Kearney in it, whatever way you slice it and dice it. That's not to say he won't play and probably play pretty well.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

jezzer wrote:
kendalgerty wrote:

Anyone?
To be fair, it wasn't just you. But seriously, Leinster's best back three doesn't have Rob Kearney in it, whatever way you slice it and dice it. That's not to say he won't play and probably play pretty well.
With Horgan out injured our best back 3 (especially away) is probably Luke, Isa, R. Kearney
IMO Rob at 15 and Isa at 14 better than Isa at 15 and DK or even McFadden at 14
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

jezzer wrote:
kendalgerty wrote:

Anyone?
Bold statement! Dave had seven starts before the game against a very weak Cardiff [source: http://leinsterrugby.ie/profiles/index. ... ef=dynamic ] and failed to score in any of them. His form this season hasn't demanded inclusion as of yet, in my opinion. Had a cracking game against Cardiff though, hopefully he can keep that level of performance up.
Laura F
Learner

Post by Laura F »

jezzer wrote:
kendalgerty wrote:

Anyone?
Jezzer may I ask who are on this non Rob Kearney best back 3 list?

Horgan, Isa and ??? Or am I totally off the mark?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Think Joe will stay with Rob at 15 and Isa on the wing.
Isa started dodgy enough on his first outing on the wing, but not surprisingly his trend has been upwards ever since.
Isa was in danger of losing his utility back usefulness, because he had been playing in the one position all the time.
I think McF getting the kicking duties ahead of Isa might also be very significant or Joe just wanted to let Isa concentrate on his game or he has something else in mind! Intriguing, very intriguing.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

jezzer wrote:
kendalgerty wrote:

Anyone?
I think Rob 15 and Isa 14 is the best 15/14 combo we have.
It's often said pick your best players in their best positions, but that can be expanded to picking your best combinations.
Luke, Isa and Rob are our best back three combo and if Joe has other plans for Luke, then Rob and Isa will be a solid foundation for a newbie.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

RK would be in our strongest starting 3 every time for me. In his appearances this season, he has, overall, been significantly better than those not in the team. Carr and Dave Kearney have mixed the good with the anonymous or poor. Rob has been consistently solid and was one of our best players against Glasgow. I think Dave Kearney has the potential to be a HEC starter but he's not quite there yet. His good performances have come against weak opposition in fairness. Nacewa and Rob Kearney worked very well against Glasgow. It's early and they're just shaking the rust off. Rob is still in very early days of his matches under Schmidt given his international commitments and injuries and will only get better hopefully.
slum
Mullet

Post by slum »

imagine this... If RK started offloading off the ground when counter attacking. He is one of the best FB in the game at taking 2 or three defenders out of the game when counter attacking with his physicality. If we were to adjust our patterns slightly so either Isa or Luke (or whoever) were trailing along behind him waiting for him to pop the ball up off the deck. i think that would be extremely hard to defend against.
"everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Our best back three starts with Isa at 15. We lose a lot with him at 14, he's our difference maker, especially with Drico out. Hes also the best last line of defence we've had since Girve in 06/07.

Keeping him at 15 is worth dropping Rob for. Playing Ferg, Dave K, Carr or a fit Shaggy opposite Fitz is worth keeping Isa at 15 for.

Let me put it to you this way. Loads of people (sometimes me incl) were banging on over the years how Drico should slide in to 12 to let Darce play 13. Darce had a great 6N at 13 and Many said that Drico should move to let Darce take that slot permanently. Sure 13 was Dricos best position but it was worth the sacrifice.

It was a bad idea, as has been proven over the years. Moving Isa, who is the nearest thing we have to Drico in his prime on this team, is a bad idea. I don't care if Joe disagrees (and I doubt he does), it's a bad idea.

Just like with Darce at 13 then, Rob is a better 15 than anything else. But someone else is a better 15 just like someone else was a better 13. The only thing keeping a 15 on Robs back is the IRFU. We sacrifice a lot when he's 15 and Isa is 14 and we do it for Team Ireland because there are no good Irish fullbacks at the moment and RK is our best hope of Ireland having one.

If Isa was Irish we wouldn't even be discussing this.
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

Oldschool wrote:
jezzer wrote:
I think Rob 15 and Isa 14 is the best 15/14 combo we have.
It's often said pick your best players in their best positions, but that can be expanded to picking your best combinations.
Luke, Isa and Rob are our best back three combo and if Joe has other plans for Luke, then Rob and Isa will be a solid foundation for a newbie.
I'd agree with the Luke, Isa, Rob combo as being our best option at the moment. The best alternative is Isa at FB, Luke on left wing and AN Other on the right wing and I can't think of an AN Other at the current time that would make the sum of the parts of that combo better than the Luke, Isa, Rob one. I think if Conway had been fit and getting game time he might have had a good chance of staking a claim for that spot, but he isn't, and none of D Kearney, Carr or McFadden has yet convinced me they're a better option on that wing than Isa moving there.

Where the Kearneys are concerned I'm definitely Team Dave but you can't sensibly leave Rob out of the side barring injury. And that means at fullback and slot the rest in around.

I do also think that if Isa was Irish the discussion would be different though.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Rob Kearney has been in very good form recently. Nacewa playing poorly against Montpellier was nothing to do with the number on his back, he just had a poor game. We played some of the best rugby we've played under Schmidt in the first half against Glasgow, with Kearney at 15.
Sarah_10

Post by Sarah_10 »

Have to say I dont think Fitzgerald should be getting his game this week! I dont think he is good enough, When you look at the likes of McFadden, O Malley , D Kearney and Fionn Carr these are outstanding players at the moment for Leinster and I dont Think Fitzgerald is good enough to be chosen over these.
glenageary
Mullet

Post by glenageary »

I am loyal to Irish rugby and would obviously love to see Rob take the 15 on merit, but I think that Isa should have it again on merit. Unfortunately neither are natural wingers, but if one has to one the wing then better it is Isa. He is still a powerhouse in defense.

On beating bath, we should do it. If the game goes on form - it will be Leinster, if it goes on talent it will be Leinster, if it goes on heart - well we all know how much that counts. If Bath come out with top drawer physicality and keep it up then they have a chance. But I think it will be a bad leinster performance rather than a great Bath one if they win. Any team as toothless as Bath - just re-watch their Glasgow game, and their Montpellier one which they were lucky to win and their recent quins one which was a repeat of Glasgow whereby they simply can not turn owning the ball in scores - should not beat a team with a decent defense like ours.

However - as we all know away games are never to be taken for granted, that they reason why there is only a 25% winning away record in the HEC.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Luke's favourite position is fullback. You can't always play your best position. McFadden is having the same issue with outside centre. You do what's best for the team.

Some players are more versatile than others, and that means they end up playing somewhere else.

Nacewa is a very good winger, we have 3 fullbacks starting in the back 3, that puts us in a strong position for certain types of tactics. My personal take, and I know a fair few others don't share it, is Kearney at fullback with Isa on the right wing as our most effective strategy.