Suggested Lions team for 3rd test

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

munster#1
Shane Jennings

Re: Suggested Lions team for 3rd test

Post by munster#1 »

Rogocoko wrote:
suisse wrote:I'd imagine it would be the biggest day of his life, but you'd rather take that away from him because he plays for a rival club?
Yes
what a spanner, easy to see you are the new breed of so called fan, best thing is every team has a loosing streak and the likes of you will be gone. i am a shannon fan and have went to ail matches from the time i could walk. i have been to matches in dublin lots of times and must say the fans at those matches, are real rugby fans, they are a completely different breed to you. they may be so called D4 ponses but that is the banter. they are real fans, who have the rugby upbringing and are thought to respect the other teams and their fans. sure there is a rivalry but it is a healthy 1, 1 where we can be very competitive during the match but then have a good laugh after.
the likes of you who thinks that he would prefere to see an irish player not get in the lions has no place at a rugby match.
i am absolutly trilled for all the leinster players on this tour especially kearney, he might not of made it back to his best in time after the mumps but he didn't just make it back he was easily the best irish man if not lions on the pitch last weekend
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

munster#1 wrote:I'd imagine it would be the biggest day of his life, but you'd rather take that away from him because he plays for a rival club?
Yes
That's a bit bent alright, but everyone's allowed an opinion. I'd love to see Earls get a test cap for the Lions - unfortunately, it might be the type of match his old man was better suited for, and I could see Monye being reintroduced if Bowe doesn't make it back.
orfeo
Bookworm

Post by orfeo »

Rogocoko wrote:
suisse wrote:I'd imagine it would be the biggest day of his life, but you'd rather take that away from him because he plays for a rival club?
Yes

why would you so dislike some one so much, presumably someone you have never met , never spoken too , you must be either (a)12 years old (b) think you are on Chelseafans.com or (3) both . In any case the anti Munster bias has so permeated this site in the last few months that even the British and Irish Lions section is coloured with a visciousness and bile against any Munster player despite the best efforts of some - suisse , hugonaut etc to give a bit of balance and wit and still make valid criticism.

In the midst of a titanic struggle where the pride of the Lions has been resurrected after 2 disastrous tours your main concern is to wish ill of a fellow Irishman !
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

threads like this make me a sad panda. i bet 90% of the people bad-mouthing Earls have never seen him play (except for Munster v Leinster maybe) since it would involve actually watching Munster play.

and god knows, you don't watch rugby for fun.
dipper
Knowledgeable

Post by dipper »

Yeah I can't relate to someone who wishes ill on a fellow Irishman. It would be good to have another Irishman making a Lions test team even if the match is a dead rubber.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

dipper wrote:Yeah I can't relate to someone who wishes ill on a fellow Irishman. It would be good to have another Irishman making a Lions test team even if the match is a dead rubber.
Perhaps he was just worried for the young man's health.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
crisco10
Graduate

Post by crisco10 »

Tbh, I can't see how what club Earls play for has to do with anything. Completely bent that someone wouldn't want a player to be picked because he plays for munster or whoever.

That being said, I'm not sure if Earls should play. All his best work has been at 15, which Super Rob has sewn up for next week. And even if Bowe is not fit, you still have Luke, Monye and Williams (I would put earls ahead of him, but management won't) for the wing spots. I really don't think Earls should play at 13. While his long term future is there, he could get destroyed by Habana, Pieterson and Jacobs coming on the outside break. (not due to lack of pace, just defensive nous)

This selection may answer the question of what the management's plan was if BOD got injured earlier..
Rogocoko
Knowledgeable

Post by Rogocoko »

1 - I've been a Leinster, Ireland and rugby fan for a long long time.... I don't need to go on about how many AIL games games etc. that i've been to to prove it! (May I add ive only missed 2 Ireland matches in Lansdowne road since we played New Zealand on November 15th 1997, I was also at every six nations game last year and only missed the Italy match this year).

2 - I'm only having a Sh1t stir and you guys fell for it hook, line and sinker!

3 - Don't forget.... I agreed Earls should get a shot at the lions!

4 - I'm off on holidays now! Enjoy the game this weekend guys!
Last edited by Rogocoko on July 12th, 2009, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Munster. I hate the word, as I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

crisco10 wrote:Tbh, I can't see how what club Earls play for has to do with anything. Completely bent that someone wouldn't want a player to be picked because he plays for munster or whoever.

That being said, I'm not sure if Earls should play. All his best work has been at 15, which Super Rob has sewn up for next week. And even if Bowe is not fit, you still have Luke, Monye and Williams (I would put earls ahead of him, but management won't) for the wing spots. I really don't think Earls should play at 13. While his long term future is there, he could get destroyed by Habana, Pieterson and Jacobs coming on the outside break. (not due to lack of pace, just defensive nous)

This selection may answer the question of what the management's plan was if BOD got injured earlier..
not sure they had a plan if he got injured as you said they have played earls at full back a good bit. i think they will bring in flutey, he's not a bad player but tends to be very greedy and gets isolated a bit. i would love to see earls play at 13 and have a blinder it would do great things for his confidence. it would be great to see how he copes at 13 at this level because it could be another 2 years or so before he gets to play this level again barring injury to the legend that is BOD. i wouldn't be too worried about his defence he is pretty solid. earls said he has trained along side BOD all tour and has been learning loads
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Rogocoko wrote:1 - I've been a Leinster, Ireland and rugby fan for a long long time.... I don't need to go on about how many AIL games games etc. that i've been to to prove it! (May I add ive only missed 2 Ireland matches in Lansdowne road since we played New Zealand on November 15th 2007, I was also at every six nations game last year and only missed the Italy match this year).

how many ireland games have been in LANSDOWNE ROAD since the 15th of november 2007?
crisco10
Graduate

Post by crisco10 »

munster#1 wrote:
Rogocoko wrote:1 - I've been a Leinster, Ireland and rugby fan for a long long time.... I don't need to go on about how many AIL games games etc. that i've been to to prove it! (May I add ive only missed 2 Ireland matches in Lansdowne road since we played New Zealand on November 15th 2007, I was also at every six nations game last year and only missed the Italy match this year).

how many ireland games have been in LANSDOWNE ROAD since the 15th of november 2007?
:lol: :lol:

Well played sir. :clap: :clap:

That is a fair point about Earls getting a run at 13 now while BOD is hurt. I still worry that he could do silly things like barge out of the line at completly the wrong time like he did for D'arcy's try in Croker. But I suppose the only way to get over that is to play top quality games at 13. (slightly OT, but I would hope Earls gets to start at 13 against Fiji in the Autumn and maybe Italy in 6n depending on form of course.)
I just would hate to see Flutey at 13. Unless it was with D'arcy at 12 in a left/right centre type of line up. Otherwise, we would end up with 3 playmakers at 10,12,13 which would be a bit of an overkill and 1 dimensional.
Turnip Boy
Knowledgeable

Post by Turnip Boy »

crisco10 wrote:
munster#1 wrote:

:lol: :lol:

That is a fair point about Earls getting a run at 13 now while BOD is hurt. I still worry that he could do silly things like barge out of the line at completly the wrong time like he did for D'arcy's try in Croker. But I suppose the only way to get over that is to play top quality games at 13. (slightly OT, but I would hope Earls gets to start at 13 against Fiji in the Autumn and maybe Italy in 6n depending on form of course.)
I just would hate to see Flutey at 13. Unless it was with D'arcy at 12 in a left/right centre type of line up. Otherwise, we would end up with 3 playmakers at 10,12,13 which would be a bit of an overkill and 1 dimensional.
Outside centre is probably the most difficult position/channel to defend and even the best in the world have difficulties - the boks have scored a try in each test due to BOD barging out of the line at completely the wrong time as you put it. Earls is still learning but I think a lot of focus is being put on his defense while ignoring any issues with those he is supposed to be living up to. He still has a lot to learn but will become a world class player in time.
“It was a very simple gameplan, not the type of gameplan that would work for the Wallabies. I think it’d be too restrictive on the talent we have.” - Rocky on Leinster's style of rugby.
crisco10
Graduate

Post by crisco10 »

Turnip Boy wrote:
crisco10 wrote: :lol: :lol:

Outside centre is probably the most difficult position/channel to defend and even the best in the world have difficulties - the boks have scored a try in each test due to BOD barging out of the line at completely the wrong time as you put it. Earls is still learning but I think a lot of focus is being put on his defense while ignoring any issues with those he is supposed to be living up to. He still has a lot to learn but will become a world class player in time.
Without a doubt. Espeically when it is up to the 13 to cut off the long pass outside too. I'm not sure what tries you are talking about re BOD though, the two tries in the first test were "forward" tries. (Smit as a first receiver, Brussouw in a roling maul) and the only try BOD was on the pitch for in the 2nd test was Pieterson, which was a move straight off a line-out that worked the back of the lineout.

Incidentally, I am very aware that Earls is playing superb stuff at the moment and I am confident that he will get 50+ caps for Ireland, the majority of which will be at 13. I'm just worried that if he played there on Sat he could get caught out couple of times and that would have potential to ruin his confidence. We don't need Earls to disappear off the radar for a year because of 1 bad game. (ala Denis Hickie)
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

crisco10 wrote:
Without a doubt. Espeically when it is up to the 13 to cut off the long pass outside too. I'm not sure what tries you are talking about re BOD though, the two tries in the first test were "forward" tries. (Smit as a first receiver, Brussouw in a roling maul) and the only try BOD was on the pitch for in the 2nd test was Pieterson, which was a move straight off a line-out that worked the back of the lineout.
BOD was on the pitch for Habana's try. He shot up out of the line leaving the gap for Habana to run into and under the posts.
crisco10
Graduate

Post by crisco10 »

ceemec wrote:
crisco10 wrote:
BOD was on the pitch for Habana's try. He shot up out of the line leaving the gap for Habana to run into and under the posts.
Right you are. He went off just after. I thought he had gone off just before. Apologies.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

crisco10 wrote: Incidentally, I am very aware that Earls is playing superb stuff at the moment and I am confident that he will get 50+ caps for Ireland, the majority of which will be at 13. I'm just worried that if he played there on Sat he could get caught out couple of times and that would have potential to ruin his confidence. We don't need Earls to disappear off the radar for a year because of 1 bad game. (ala Denis Hickie)
As an aside, if Keith Earls does become Ireland's next outside centre, what future does that hold for another potential star, Fergus McFadden? McFadden is just the most unIrish of rugby players - an outside back who can place kick. He probably doesn't have Earls' pace and spark of genius, but he is a quality attacker (breaks tackles at will) and he always checks what's on outside him before going it alone. He has a touch of class about him, but he's not a winger or full back. His defence and ability to get over the gain line means he is a certain centre - I'd say we should try him at 12, but he looks to have mastered the 13 defensive abilities better than Earls. To be the MVP at the Churchill Cup surely means we should be taking him for serious as a potential Test player in a couple of years
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

suisse wrote:
crisco10 wrote: Incidentally, I am very aware that Earls is playing superb stuff at the moment and I am confident that he will get 50+ caps for Ireland, the majority of which will be at 13. I'm just worried that if he played there on Sat he could get caught out couple of times and that would have potential to ruin his confidence. We don't need Earls to disappear off the radar for a year because of 1 bad game. (ala Denis Hickie)
As an aside, if Keith Earls does become Ireland's next outside centre, what future does that hold for another potential star, Fergus McFadden? McFadden is just the most unIrish of rugby players - an outside back who can place kick. He probably doesn't have Earls' pace and spark of genius, but he is a quality attacker (breaks tackles at will) and he always checks what's on outside him before going it alone. He has a touch of class about him, but he's not a winger or full back. His defence and ability to get over the gain line means he is a certain centre - I'd say we should try him at 12, but he looks to have mastered the 13 defensive abilities better than Earls. To be the MVP at the Churchill Cup surely means we should be taking him for serious as a potential Test player in a couple of years
Given the gulf in quality between Earls' performances at 13 and his performances at 15 I'd genuinely hope he'll be played in the back 3 a bit more. He absolutely revels in the wide open spaces afforded to him there whilst he somewhat struggles at times with the more fixed role requested of him in the centre. I'd love to see an interchangeable, all attacking back 3 with the likes of Earls, Kearney, Fitz and Jones in the years to come. Look at the French back 3 conveyor belt producing players capable of playing 11, 14 and 15 and popping up in all 3 positions regularly. I don't see why something like that couldn't be executed with the talent coming through in Ireland. If McFadden continues to develop at his current rate for another season he could be a full international before the end of 2010 providing a steady, footballing player inside the pace out wide. The fact that he can place kick is a massive plus. His ability to cut a line is already right up there. He needs to work on his all round game and positioning but that will come with more exposure in the professional game.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

ceemec wrote:
suisse wrote:
Given the gulf in quality between Earls' performances at 13 and his performances at 15 I'd genuinely hope he'll be played in the back 3 a bit more. He absolutely revels in the wide open spaces afforded to him there whilst he somewhat struggles at times with the more fixed role requested of him in the centre. I'd love to see an interchangeable, all attacking back 3 with the likes of Earls, Kearney, Fitz and Jones in the years to come. Look at the French back 3 conveyor belt producing players capable of playing 11, 14 and 15 and popping up in all 3 positions regularly. I don't see why something like that couldn't be executed with the talent coming through in Ireland. If McFadden continues to develop at his current rate for another season he could be a full international before the end of 2010 providing a steady, footballing player inside the pace out wide. The fact that he can place kick is a massive plus. His ability to cut a line is already right up there. He needs to work on his all round game and positioning but that will come with more exposure in the professional game.
it is great to see some young irish players coming in, i agree with you he is probably a better 15 than 13 but munster are in the fortunate position to have warick so it is doubtfull munster will play him there 2 much, also we have signed jones at full back too. we already have 2 great wingers. i would say munster are going to have him at 13 as he is our best option. ireland need to find another inside centre then we are pretty much covered in the backs
Leezer
Enlightened

Post by Leezer »

munster#1 wrote:

chill out...

what posessed you to join Leinsterfans? surely you should be on the musterfans? i wouldnt join a website called ilikethec0ck.com would i???

a bit of banter should be allowed here between ourselves before the other team supporters go on rants
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

Stalk me on ye olde Tweet Machine!!!!!!!