Schools SCT Rugby 22/23

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Re: Schools SCT Rugby 22/23

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Leinstermakesmehappy wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 9:57 am Belvo, Rock, Michaels all into JCT semis.

now between Nure and Zaga for final semi finalist.
These two cup campaigns (Senior level and Junior) have been an outstanding show of rugby. I get so excited seeing all this young talent coming through the ranks. It well and truly brings me back to my cup days. It really is such an outstanding set of tournaments that Leinster provide for these young players. Those Blackrock, St Michaels and Gonzaga teams are filled with potential internationals. Gonzaga have really shown that even with their number 15 Mcglaughlin having a quiet campaign (don't get me wrong he is outstanding) they still have the skill set to win the big games. St Michaels have had two tough rounds already and it is only going to get tougher so it will be exciting to see how they get on. Blackrock on the other hand have shown nothing but pure class, both at senior level and junior. The likes of Mullan, Coffey, Tonge and Hodges have been outstanding. Even the younger players like Louis Mcdermott have been superb. I don't want to make any early predictions for Mcdermott but I could see him going far. Even in other schools who were unfortunate to get through to the latter stages of the competition, you have players like Andrew Sparrow, Stephen Smyth and Charlie Quinn who show real potential. It is definitely fair to say Irish rugby is in safe hands. Looking forward to the remaining games in these two brilliant cup campaigns.

Sent from my Ipad
I could have sworn there were four teams in the semi finals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A proud Winsome Fluter
Leinstermakesmehappy
Beginner

Post by Leinstermakesmehappy »

Grumpy Old Man wrote: March 4th, 2023, 12:24 pm
Leinstermakesmehappy wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 9:57 am Belvo, Rock, Michaels all into JCT semis.

now between Nure and Zaga for final semi finalist.
These two cup campaigns (Senior level and Junior) have been an outstanding show of rugby. I get so excited seeing all this young talent coming through the ranks. It well and truly brings me back to my cup days. It really is such an outstanding set of tournaments that Leinster provide for these young players. Those Blackrock, St Michaels and Gonzaga teams are filled with potential internationals. Gonzaga have really shown that even with their number 15 Mcglaughlin having a quiet campaign (don't get me wrong he is outstanding) they still have the skill set to win the big games. St Michaels have had two tough rounds already and it is only going to get tougher so it will be exciting to see how they get on. Blackrock on the other hand have shown nothing but pure class, both at senior level and junior. The likes of Mullan, Coffey, Tonge and Hodges have been outstanding. Even the younger players like Louis Mcdermott have been superb. I don't want to make any early predictions for Mcdermott but I could see him going far. Even in other schools who were unfortunate to get through to the latter stages of the competition, you have players like Andrew Sparrow, Stephen Smyth and Charlie Quinn who show real potential. It is definitely fair to say Irish rugby is in safe hands. Looking forward to the remaining games in these two brilliant cup campaigns.

Sent from my Ipad
I could have sworn there were four teams in the semi finals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My sincere apologies, completely thought I wrote Newbridge in there. Should have double checked. Horrendous mistake on my behalf. They have been outstanding too and have shown real class in recent years. Definitely seem to be getting better year after year.

Sent from my Ipad
robrusslinginthebush
Beginner

Post by robrusslinginthebush »

School cup nicknames is something that i think matches the ethos and the fun these players have on the pitch, these nicknames that their peers come up with are very creative.
Hugo Mclaughlin the Gonzaga College 15 i have heard- being referred to as ‘the enforcer’ on a number of occasions.
Alex Mullan the Blackrock tight head has been referred to as ‘big bad bulldog’ this made me think back to my youth of playing bulldog the game and there would always be 1 bully who would take everyone down i think in this case it is alex mullan.
Daniel Turley who narrowly missed out on the squad but still travels i believe due to a lower back injury has been referred to as turkey as well as ‘turger’ pity to not see him play this season.
The funniest of them all is the country man Paul wilson for Gonzaga being called ‘sunto’ who knows where that came from?
Oliver coffee the blackrock and box kick king is called ‘beans’ from coffee beans and people even go as far as calling him beano chap.
The lads in michaels referring to Tom stewart as ‘stewie’ i heard his favourite dinner in the canteen is stew and obviously his surname playes a role too.

Sent from my Samsung galaxy tab
robrusslinginthebush
Beginner

:evil:
Last edited by robrusslinginthebush on March 6th, 2023, 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leinstermakesmehappy
Beginner

robrusslinginthebush wrote: March 4th, 2023, 1:09 pm School cup nicknames is something that i think matches the ethos and the fun these players have on the pitch, these nicknames that their peers come up with are very creative.
Hugo Mclaughlin the Gonzaga College 15 i have heard- being referred to as ‘the enforcer’ on a number of occasions.
Alex Mullan the Blackrock tight head has been referred to as ‘big bad bulldog’ this made me think back to my youth of playing bulldog the game and there would always be 1 bully who would take everyone down i think in this case it is alex mullan.
Daniel Turley who narrowly missed out on the squad but still travels i believe due to a lower back injury has been referred to as turkey as well as ‘turger’ pity to not see him play this season.
The funniest of them all is the country man Paul wilson for Gonzaga being called ‘sunto’ who knows where that came from?
Oliver coffee the blackrock and box kick king is called ‘beans’ from coffee beans and people even go as far as calling him beano chap.
The lads in michaels referring to Tom stewart as ‘stewie’ i heard his favourite dinner in the canteen is stew and obviously his surname playes a role too.

Personally I haven't heard any of these so called 'nicknames' and I'll be honest I really am not a big fan. These are the future leaders of Irish rugby you are talking about and I think giving them names like these are an absolute mockery towards the youth game. I searched up the names 'turger' and 'big bad bulldog' and didn't see any information on these names. I also have a few contacts in St Michaels, so I know a handful of staff in St Michaels and they said that this name 'stewie' has never been said before. I also think calling Alex Mullan a bully is a very harsh thing to say towards the young man, don't get me wrong he certainly won't be getting that lifestyles sports sponsorship anytime soon with the style he has but he is still an outstanding talent on the pitch. I am going to look into these nicknames a bit more as I feel they are slightly illegitimate.

Sent from my Ipad
Devintonerenthuaiast
Beginner

Post by Devintonerenthuaiast »

Leinstermakesmehappy wrote: March 5th, 2023, 11:59 am
robrusslinginthebush wrote: March 4th, 2023, 1:09 pm School cup nicknames is something that i think matches the ethos and the fun these players have on the pitch, these nicknames that their peers come up with are very creative.

Personally I haven't heard any of these so called 'nicknames' and I'll be honest I really am not a big fan. These are the future leaders of Irish rugby you are talking about and I think giving them names like these are an absolute mockery towards the youth game. I searched up the names 'turger' and 'big bad bulldog' and didn't see any information on these names. I also have a few contacts in St Michaels, so I know a handful of staff in St Michaels and they said that this name 'stewie' has never been said before. I also think calling Alex Mullan a bully is a very harsh thing to say towards the young man, don't get me wrong he certainly won't be getting that lifestyles sports sponsorship anytime soon with the style he has but he is still an outstanding talent on the pitch. I am going to look into these nicknames a bit more as I feel they are slightly illegitimate.

Sent from my Ipad
I don’t agree. Personally I am delighted to hear a bit more about what these players are like off the pitch. There’s some really creative nicknames in there with my personal favourite being ‘big bad bulldog’. I don’t think ‘RobRusslinginthebush’ was suggesting anything about Alex Mullans character but more the fact that he is without doubt the most feared player remaining in the senior cup. I’d say Tom Stewart’s hoping he gets plenty of stew in canteen this week prior to facing Mullan in the scrums!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Wowzer jimminy jinnikers
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

des berry has a gonzaga michaels final in the indo. dunno about that myself.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 6th, 2023, 12:08 pm des berry has a gonzaga michaels final in the indo. dunno about that myself.
Do you ever agree with him? :wink:
robrusslinginthebush
Beginner

Heard Lary Kirkham has come down with food poisoning, this means last years starter Charles Foley must step in. This is not a huge lost for the Michaels team as they are very equal players but more so just a shock to the team. According to Andy Skehan he was seen eating a steak sandwich with taco sauce and gravy with a side salad. Followed by custard and apple crumble in the Merrion in on Sunday evening. He should have stuck to the trusty chicken and rice and not gone too exotic the week
before game day.

Sent From my PSP 4th generation 16GB storage
Leinstermakesmehappy
Beginner

backrower8 wrote: March 6th, 2023, 2:11 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: March 6th, 2023, 12:08 pm des berry has a gonzaga michaels final in the indo. dunno about that myself.
Do you ever agree with him? :wink:
Clearly he doesn't agree with him tough guy, he said "dunno about that myself".
ustix
Bookworm

Post by ustix »

:D :D
Oldschoolsocks wrote: March 5th, 2023, 2:12 pm Wowzer jimminy jinnikers
That which does not bend breaks
Leinstermakesmehappy
Beginner

Who loves the Muffin man, the Muffin man, the MUFFIN MAN! Tom (Stewie) Stewart has been on fire in this cup campaign. His ball carrying skills are undeniably outstanding. His ability to poach over the ball in the rucks is incredible. I have never seen anything like it at this level. He is definitely one for the future and I could only imagine how terrifying he would be with a few more inches to him. Another player from St Michaels who has caught my eye is Paddy Woodchop Tackle who's defence has been brilliant, especially in a backline who seems more focused on offense. I am getting so overwhelmed by the thought of this semi final and I really just cannot wait.

Sent from my Ipod
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Tuesday 7 March, Newbridge College v Gonzaga College, in Energia Park, KO 3pm

Newbridge College:
15. Todd Lawlor
14. Rory Allen
13. Ciarán Mangan
12. Paddy Taylor
11. Adam Larkin Smithers
10. Paddy Martin
9. Tadhg Brophy
1. John R Walsh
2. Mark Masterson
3. Billy Bohan
4. Shane Davitt
5. Shane Treacy – CAPTAIN
6. John Sheedy
7. Ronan McGroary
8. Ruairi Munnelly

Replacements:
16. Josh Montgomery
17. Charlie O’Loughlin
18. Sam O’Loughlin
19. Jack Dennis
20. Ruairí Byrne
21. Daniel Cox
22. Daniel Connolly
23. Hugo Owens

Gonzaga College:
15. Hugo McLaughlin – VICE CAPTAIN
14. JP Breslin
13. Aidan O’Flanagan
12. Jody Browne
11. Mikey Wall
10. Stephen McMahon
9. Tom Brophy
1. Finn O’Neill
2. Luke McLaughlin
3. Adam McVerry
4. Jamie Kennedy
5. Tom Wyley
6. Charlie Kennedy
7. Gavin O’Grady
8. Paul Wilson – CAPTAIN

Replacements:
16. Jack Kelly
17. Patrick O’Brien
18. Jamie Sheil
19. Morgan Tyrrell
20. James O’Dwyer
21. Daragh O’Dwyer
22. Patrick Masterson
23. Samuel Inglis
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

Gonzaga win 33-31, great game.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

If you were producing a theatrical production lasting 70 mins, with that amount of unscripted performance, they'd award Oscars left, right and centre.

Congrats to the Coaching and playing teams of both schools for a magnificent contest of great standard.
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

Barry wrote: March 7th, 2023, 4:25 pm Gonzaga win 33-31, great game.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
Gonzaga in the final 2019, 2022 & 2023...
Leinstermakesmehappy
Beginner

🏉
robrusslinginthebush
Beginner

Team sheets for Blackrock v Michaels?
RugbyRugby2019
Learner

Post by RugbyRugby2019 »

robrusslinginthebush wrote: March 8th, 2023, 6:45 pm Team sheets for Blackrock v Michaels?
The teams are normally posted on the Leinster website the late in the morning of the game.