Schools SCT Rugby 22/23

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

RugbyRugby2019
Learner

Re: Schools SCT Rugby 22/23

Post by RugbyRugby2019 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: February 24th, 2023, 1:14 pm
Ruckedtobits wrote: February 24th, 2023, 1:07 pm
Plámásing wrote: February 24th, 2023, 12:53 pm I see Rock is still out to impose its way of life on us. Beating teams with that absoluteness is not victory, it is wanting or needing to impose something on others. Of course they will say they are operating from a place of integrity, determination and focus but it is anything but. The totalitarian and absolute nature of their “success” is really domination and bondage.

Wow!
The genies out of the bottle now…
It really was only a matter of time once the stats companies that they employ solved (likely through espionage) the size = speed x strength conundrum…
Devintonerenthuaiast
Beginner

Post by Devintonerenthuaiast »

First time posting here. Just wanted to share my thoughts on the cup campaign so far. Looks like anyone in the semi-finals could go onto win this thing. Michaels were my favourites to win it coming into the campaign from their impressive pre-season results but now seeing Blackrock’s jaw dropping performances I can’t decide who’s the stronger team. What do you guys think?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Clongowes Wood College:
15. Padraic Spillane
14. Daniel Baugh
13. Harry Roche Nagle
12. Callum McDonald
11. Oscar O’Brien
10. Harry Mallon
9. Tom Murtagh
1. James Wyse
2. Kosi Ugwueru
3. Max Duggan
4. Blayze Molloy
5. Alex Kelly – CAPTAIN
6. Matthew Roche Nagle
7. Dermot Collins
8. Dan Daly

Replacements:
16. Max Doyle
17. Alex Hemeryck
18. Luke Murtagh
19. Max Coveney
20. Conor Lysaght
21. Joseph Moynihan
22. Gavin Keane
23. Brian McCarthy

St Michaels College:
15. David Lucey
14. Larry Kirkham
13. Jules Fenelon
12. Mark Canniffe
11. Patrick Wood
10. Wilhelm De Klerk – VICE CAPTAIN
9. James Sherwin
8. Sam Corrigan
7. Rory Brown
6. James White – CAPTAIN
5. Mikey O’Reilly
4. David Walsh
3. Riain Coogan
2. Tom Stewart – VICE CAPTAIN
1. Ben Howard

Replacements:
16. Tom Begley
17. Torin Murray
18. Duinn Maguire
19. Frazer McKenna
20. Billy O’Donohoe
21. Chris O’Connor
22. Ethan Black
23. Charles Foley
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

So Michaels play Blackrock and Newbridge vs Gonzaga.

Shame they didn't avoid each other.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

mildlyinterested wrote: February 27th, 2023, 4:45 pm So Michaels play Blackrock and Newbridge vs Gonzaga.

Rock will win that one. They are totally aligned to what they are trying to do and nobody deviates from the script. 1-23. They are in a perfect flow state.

Michael's on the other hand seem to be less cohesive and play a little more off script from time-to-time.

The only question is whether Rock not having had a hard game (Pres & Roscrea) and Michael's having had two (Belvo & Clongowes), will affect anything?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

No ones beating rock.
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

mildlyinterested wrote:So Michaels play Blackrock and Newbridge vs Gonzaga.

Yes, especially after they played each other in the league final.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A proud Winsome Fluter
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Grumpy Old Man wrote: February 27th, 2023, 5:18 pm

:clap:
Plámásing
Beginner

Post by Plámásing »

Wow that was a nervy game. Clongowes battened down the hatches and didn’t fold in defence despite the size differential. There was some solid players on their team in the form of their 6 8 9 and 10. They battered in equal measure their Michaels counterparts and showed some deft touches to create line breaks and their kicking game was better than the Michaels halfbacks.

Michael’s managed to open them up after long periods sustained pressure but the handling errors were ultimately what let Clongowes down in attack. Let us off the hook so many times I counted at least eight in the first half alone. It could have been more. Michaels will have to do more against Rock if they come up against them. They have shown their hand power game mauling off lineouts and box kicks ain’t going to cut it against a more powerful team. They may have to come up with some one off set piece moves to create openings as the one dimensional power game will not be enough to win this cup.

Box kicking was far too shallow from Michaels 9 and the chase wasn’t there multiple times. Handing over possession to a better attacking team will be suicide. But a word for Willie De Klerk. He is one of those players, about whom, I would sing victory paeans all day, on his all around game. He had another 8/10 performance and did it all save for creating a bit more and scoring a few tries he would have had a 9 or 10. He did it all, try saving tackles, jackals, chip kicks, controlled the game and kept the pressure on. Easy when you have good source of ball let’s see if he can do it on the back foot. But the core game is there to make an impact at higher levels if he can progress this team further into the tournament. Just a mention of the two bone crunching hits he was involved in, one from full back and the other after a chip over the Clongowes backline where he was down injured. He will have to focus recovering for the next game and possibly not do any contact between now and then such was the nature of the impacts he was involved in. Defence Will have to sharpen up against Rock and keep focused for the full 70 and not drop off after sustained pressure. If they can hold them out for prolonged periods it will be close.
Last edited by Plámásing on March 10th, 2023, 5:03 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Purist98
Bookworm

Post by Purist98 »

De Klerk was outstanding.
Impressed by Murtagh and Kelly for Clongowes.
berliner
Bookworm

Post by berliner »

Is there a date penciled in for the final?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

berliner wrote: February 27th, 2023, 5:58 pm Is there a date penciled in for the final?
probably the 19th.
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

Grumpy Old Man wrote: February 27th, 2023, 5:18 pm

Indeed, a Cup Final the same as the League Final would really have been a Match to remember...
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

michaels defeat knock in junior cup, 26-19.
Leinstermakesmehappy
Beginner

Post by Leinstermakesmehappy »

This semi-final between Blackrock and St Michaels is being viewed as the final. They are the two best teams in the competition and I see the winner winning it all. Blackrocks pack has been outstanding with the like of internationals Tom Brigg, Michaels Colreavy and school boy rugby hero for Blackrock, Alex Mullan. Stopping these types of players is going to be a real problem for St Michaels. On the other hand if Wilhelm De Klerk can orchestrate the back line correctly they can be very dangerous but the only problem with that is Blackrocks centre partnership of Kritzinger and Walsh are consistently brilliant in defence. And once again people like Conor Tonge and Alex mullan are menaces at the breakdown. It will be a huge match for both sides but I can’t find a weakness in that Blackrock side and I feel St Michaels will have a difficult day at Energia Park.

Sent from my Ipad
robrusslinginthebush
Beginner

Post by robrusslinginthebush »

The business end 0f the seni0r cup, 00ps i keep making spelling err0rs maybe there intenti0nal, you see gonzaga have 0 senior cups however a strong back line can make or break a team the likes of brown in the center and Mcglaughlin in the 15 role to sweep up any backfield shenanigans and progress with the ball forwards with a quick shimmy shimmy and a goose step is whats i think will take them past the semis and into the final where they can potentially receive their first cup.
All well and good however I think this Blackrock team is the full package a strong pack and no holes in the back line, where is their weakness, alex mullan an 05 man converting from an agile second row to a ball playing prop is impressive (outside the last game I overheard someone refer to him as "big bad bulldog") i can blame them. Coffee at 9 captain kicker etc etc his ball knowledge doesnt go unnoticed with a brother playing jct i assume when he wasnt playing leinster 19s he was practising his passing a kicking.
Michaels have looked shakey frazer not starting is a big no no for me hes a great player on and off the pitch with sportsmanship matching his gentleman nature. I think there missing something cant quite tell what yet.
score predictions;
gonzaga 27-17 newbridge
blackrock 29-12
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Belvo, Rock, Michaels all into JCT semis.

now between Nure and Zaga for final semi finalist.
robrusslinginthebush
Beginner

Post by robrusslinginthebush »

Who's the current top scorer in the senior cup? Who is everyone's player of the tournament so far?
Leinstermakesmehappy
Beginner

Post by Leinstermakesmehappy »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 9:57 am Belvo, Rock, Michaels all into JCT semis.

now between Nure and Zaga for final semi finalist.
These two cup campaigns (Senior level and Junior) have been an outstanding show of rugby. I get so excited seeing all this young talent coming through the ranks. It well and truly brings me back to my cup days. It really is such an outstanding set of tournaments that Leinster provide for these young players. Those Blackrock, St Michaels and Gonzaga teams are filled with potential internationals. Gonzaga have really shown that even with their number 15 Mcglaughlin having a quiet campaign (don't get me wrong he is outstanding) they still have the skill set to win the big games. St Michaels have had two tough rounds already and it is only going to get tougher so it will be exciting to see how they get on. Blackrock on the other hand have shown nothing but pure class, both at senior level and junior. The likes of Mullan, Coffey, Tonge and Hodges have been outstanding. Even the younger players like Louis Mcdermott have been superb. I don't want to make any early predictions for Mcdermott but I could see him going far. Even in other schools who were unfortunate to get through to the latter stages of the competition, you have players like Andrew Sparrow, Stephen Smyth and Charlie Quinn who show real potential. It is definitely fair to say Irish rugby is in safe hands. Looking forward to the remaining games in these two brilliant cup campaigns.

Sent from my Ipad
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Terenure 28 Gonzaga 7. Terenure - Blackrock, Belvedere - St Michaels semi finals.