Schools SCT Rugby 22/23

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

berliner
Bookworm

Re: Schools SCT Rugby 22/23

Post by berliner »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: March 12th, 2023, 2:52 pm
robrusslinginthebush wrote: March 12th, 2023, 2:20 pm
Plámásing wrote: March 12th, 2023, 11:19 am And what’s more I hope this doesn’t impact the selection of players for professional contracts. I think the days of cup winning teams getting their staple 2 players onto the Academy are gone. There is a multitude of fantastic players that never won the cup. Winning doesn’t/shouldn’t guarantee a place on the academy. Tom Stewart had absolutely buckled his knee just before half time and my feeling was he should be taken off. But he played on. That sort of bottle can’t be bought. And there are players on the academy just because they won the cup. It would be a crying shame if he isn’t awarded a contract.

Let’s see where the people befriending and softening him/us up before the game with nicknames stand on this now. No doubt it was empty flattery.
*** Edited by mod ***
Bit strong, no?
Definitely too personal. Mods?
Plámásing
Beginner

Post by Plámásing »

*** Edited by mod ***
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Moderators might want to get involved in this thread which is off beam for Babbling.
Leinstermakesmehappy
Beginner

Post by Leinstermakesmehappy »

Can Moderators please do something about these personal comments. Thought we were all here because we are all huge supporters of Leinster rugby and the Leinster senior cup, not rivals. There’s most certainly younger individuals reading these comments. These people need to stop. They are shocking. A debate is different to a heated argument and that certainly wasn’t a debate. We are only days away from the senior cup final and a potential Ireland grand slam. You would think we would all be excited and full of joyful comments, not ones like those. Utter disgrace. Grow up!

Sent from my IPad
berliner
Bookworm

Post by berliner »

Moderators, thank you for dealing with that nonsense.
Observingprop123
Mullet

Post by Observingprop123 »

So, who are the players of the tournament, looking back at older threads this forum is very good at choosing future pros. The only glaring blindspot this forum has was not predicting Caelan Doris's huge rise. Who are the ones to watch from this year's cup?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Oliver Coffey from Blackrock.

Hugo McLaughlin from Gonzaga.

Andrew Sparrow from Marys.

Alan Spicer from Belvo.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on March 15th, 2023, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purist98
Bookworm

Post by Purist98 »

Blackrock - Coffey, Tonge, Molony, Mullan, Kritzinger, O'Riordan

Michaels - De Klerk, Coogan, O'Reilly, Fenelon, Stewart, Howard, Caniffe

Gonzaga - McLaughlin x2, Wilson, McMahon

Marys - Sparrow, Moynihan, O'Brien

Newbridge - Taylor, Mangan, Lawlor, Brophy

Belvedere - Spicer, Usanov, O'Neill, Ryan

Pres Bray - Murphy, Treacy

Clongowes - Murtagh

Obviously not all future pros but these are the players that have impressed me the most
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Des Berry picks Gonzaga over Blackrock: https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 87382.html
Observingprop123
Mullet

mildlyinterested wrote: March 15th, 2023, 1:06 pm Oliver Coffey from Blackrock.

Hugo McLaughlin from Gonzaga.

Andrew Sparrow from Marys.

Alan Spicer from Belvo.
Two intresting lists here (quoting this one as it's slightly smaller).

Personally think Hugo McLaughlin has a big big future. Has a personality of pure determination and the ultimate f you attitude from what I've seen on the pitch, while also being a supreme athlete. Suspect he will be a big player for u20s next year.

Alan Spicer obviously has the body of dreams for a second row, but I think the coaches have a good bit of coaching there to get him to a pro workrate but with his size and ability the world is his oyster.

Haven't noticed Coffey too much from the two blackrock matches I've watched but that could be more on me than him. He's 9 if I'm correct and he could just have a superb box kick and pass that I'm not observing.

Few players I think can go places. Evan Monyihan for Mary's (not 100% sure if I've spelt it right) looks a great athlete and to have good technical skills. O'Riordan from Blackrock looks like a new age prop if I've ever seen him, however I'm not sure he has the size to be a loosehead prop at any level higher than this? Maybe moving him to hooker he could be a great prospect? Finally Tom Brigg looked a proper 8 for me but a similar point to before with O'Riordan might be true. (This is all speculation when it comes to size because I have not seen these lads in person).
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Monyihan is a talented centre though and I'd expect him to be part of the irish schools side this easter.

O'Riordan is a good loosehead for sure, but ability to put on size may be an issue for him, wait and see.

Brigg has been very impressive, hopefully his injury isnt too serious. May more suited to another backrow position at pro level.

Mullan could be a special player at tighthead in a few years.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Andrew Sparrow looks like a player with the physique and commitment to get future opportunities. Plays and reacts like he has no ego. A very important consideration as these guys enter Squads with others who 'expect to be there'.
RugbyRugby2019
Learner

Post by RugbyRugby2019 »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 15th, 2023, 2:03 pm Des Berry picks Gonzaga over Blackrock: https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 87382.html
Strange how most of his preview articles just involve listing out which players were involved last season in the corresponding fixture.

Despite being name checked , I’d presume Briggs won’t be involved as that injury looked quite serious.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Observingprop123 wrote: March 15th, 2023, 11:08 am So, who are the players of the tournament, looking back at older threads this forum is very good at choosing future pros. The only glaring blindspot this forum has was not predicting Caelan Doris's huge rise. Who are the ones to watch from this year's cup?
SPICER

Potentially the first player to win 1000 test caps.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

My team of the tournament:

1. Tom O'Riordan(Blackrock)
2. Mikey Yarr(Blackrock)
3. Alex Mullan(Blackrock)
4. Michael Colreavy(Blackrock)
5. Mikey O'Reilly(St. Michaels)
6. Conor Tonge(Blackrock)
7. Paul Wilson(Gonzaga)
8. Tom Brigg(Blackrock)
9. Oliver Coffey(Blackrock)
10. Will De Klerk(St. Michaels)
11. Todd Lawlor(Newbridge)
12. Paddy Taylor(Newbridge)
13. Ciaran Mangan(Newbridge)
14. Charlie Molony(Blackrock)
15. Hugo McLaughlin(Gonzaga)
Observingprop123
Mullet

mildlyinterested wrote: March 16th, 2023, 8:56 am My team of the tournament:

1. Tom O'Riordan(Blackrock)
2. Mikey Yarr(Blackrock)
3. Alex Mullan(Blackrock)
4. Michael Colreavy(Blackrock)
5. Mikey O'Reilly(St. Michaels)
6. Conor Tonge(Blackrock)
7. Paul Wilson(Gonzaga)
8. Tom Brigg(Blackrock)
9. Oliver Coffey(Blackrock)
10. Will De Klerk(St. Michaels)
11. Todd Lawlor(Newbridge)
12. Paddy Taylor(Newbridge)
13. Ciaran Mangan(Newbridge)
14. Charlie Molony(Blackrock)
15. Hugo McLaughlin(Gonzaga)
Does Tom Stewart have an argument at hooker?
RugbyRugby2019
Learner

Post by RugbyRugby2019 »

Can’t really argue too much with that team (especially considering Sparrow only played one game and Mullan has been excellent).

It’ll be interesting To see how the 3 Newbridge backs get next season with another year of growth and experience.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Molony back next year too.
berliner
Bookworm

Post by berliner »

Gonzaga lead Blackrock by 21-10 at half time.