Schools rugby 2020/21

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Schools rugby 2020/21

Post by mildlyinterested »

leinster155 wrote: March 11th, 2022, 3:19 pm sam berman, Matthew Victory, fintan gunne and couldnt see who got the other as it was buried in a maul.

michaels
15. james nicholson
14, luka hasset
13. sam berman (c)
12.wilhem de klerk
11. charles foley
10.charlie mcnamee
9. fintan Gunne
8. matthew victory
7.jim white
6. dan carrol
5, dan barron
4. Dave woods
3. Sean egan
2.zach baird
1.Tom stuart

Roscrea ( From what i gathered from a parent)
1. Paddy sheeran
2. ronan lydon
3.jonathon flynn
4. rory glynn
5. lorcan fallon
6.dara guinan
7.jack verling
8.joe coffey
9. sean finlay
10.charlie naughton
11. adrian dunne
12. james conroy
13.blaine barry (C)
14.ihechi oji
15.Greg fitzgerald
thanks.
propertymad
Graduate

Post by propertymad »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: March 10th, 2022, 2:02 pm
propertymad wrote: March 10th, 2022, 12:53 pm and Frawley is the only other clubs product besides Osborne, that I'd rate as special ...

My point is that it would probably make strategic sense for Leinster to try to bridge the (increasing?) gulf between the top 2 or 3 schools and the rest

If Leinster focused some resources on the 'weaker' SCT sides (in terms of coaching, facilities etc), they would get a massive ROI I believe

Getting Temple Carraig and Fintans up to the levels of Marys and Terenure, and then pushing hard to get all of them up to the levels of Rock, Michaels, and Zaga would pay huge dividends IMO. The continuing (re) emergence of Zaga is down to investment in coaching (and new 4G pitch) from what I can see

I know Leinster financially supporting these schools is probably "politically" difficult in the context of their (mostly) fee paying status
Do you know how much funding the top two schools pump in per player in SCT?
think you need to re-read my post

I wasn't suggesting that Rock or Michaels should receive funding from Leinster (or Clongowes or Zaga for that matter) ... rather I was suggesting that Leinster pump money into Temple Carraig, Fintans etc ..... to get all the schools up to the level of Michaels and Rock

That would be a good investment by Leinster, as it would yield more pro-ready players than an alternative investment in 30 clubs

Ideally Leinster should do both
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

propertymad wrote: March 15th, 2022, 1:02 am
propertymad wrote: March 10th, 2022, 12:53 pm and Frawley is the only other clubs product besides Osborne, that I'd rate as special ...

My point is that it would probably make strategic sense for Leinster to try to bridge the (increasing?) gulf between the top 2 or 3 schools and the rest

If Leinster focused some resources on the 'weaker' SCT sides (in terms of coaching, facilities etc), they would get a massive ROI I believe

Getting Temple Carraig and Fintans up to the levels of Marys and Terenure, and then pushing hard to get all of them up to the levels of Rock, Michaels, and Zaga would pay huge dividends IMO. The continuing (re) emergence of Zaga is down to investment in coaching (and new 4G pitch) from what I can see

I know Leinster financially supporting these schools is probably "politically" difficult in the context of their (mostly) fee paying status

I wasn't suggesting that Rock or Michaels should receive funding from Leinster (or Clongowes or Zaga for that matter) ... rather I was suggesting that Leinster pump money into Temple Carraig, Fintans etc ..... to get all the schools up to the level of Michaels and Rock

That would be a good investment by Leinster, as it would yield more pro-ready players than an alternative investment in 30 clubs

No, I got what you were saying, the question is do you know how much funding the top two schools pump in per player?
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Fintan's rugby has profited massively from its proximity to and collaboration with Suttonians RFC. The school and club properties adjoin one another. Support the latter and you're supporting the former - and vice versa. I'd imagine there are similar cases around the province.
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

riocard911 wrote: March 15th, 2022, 4:40 pm

Fintan's rugby has profited massively from its proximity to and collaboration with Suttonians RFC. The school and club properties adjoin one another. Support the latter and you're supporting the former - and vice versa. I'd imagine there are similar cases around the province.
Thats the ideal way to get an improvement. Have a development officer(s) working with a school or schools and have them also working in the local club so the club and school sees a big improvement. similar to what Bandon RFC and grammar school did in getting reggis sonnes a few years back. and what clonmel rfc and clonmel high school are doing now.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Watching Ulster Schools. Not sure is it the production but it seems to be a considerable step down from top Leinster Schools
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

the spoofer wrote: March 17th, 2022, 4:15 pm Watching Ulster Schools. Not sure is it the production but it seems to be a considerable step down from top Leinster Schools
So Methody won the final 20-17 v Campbell. They had lost 2 games during season 26-24 v Campbell and 17-7 v Blackrock. Beat Terenure 38-7. Blackrock beat Terenure 48-0 in QF.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

SCT Plate
St Michaels College V Clongowes Wood College
St Vincents Castleknock College V Presentation College Bray
Theleafysuburb
Learner

Post by Theleafysuburb »

Any ideas on when the cwc st michaels game is and where?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Theleafysuburb wrote: March 21st, 2022, 9:02 pm Any ideas on when the cwc st michaels game is and where?
half 2 in st. michaels on wednesday.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

incredible that Jackman name dropped a 12 year old on the 42 rugby weekly podcast. :lol:
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 22nd, 2022, 8:49 am incredible that Jackman name dropped a 12 year old on the 42 rugby weekly podcast. :lol:
Sure is. But, hey, the Leinster schools cup matches are on the bloomin' telly these days, so maybe he's just drumming up support for the competition?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

riocard911 wrote: March 22nd, 2022, 9:47 am
mildlyinterested wrote: March 22nd, 2022, 8:49 am incredible that Jackman name dropped a 12 year old on the 42 rugby weekly podcast. :lol:
Sure is. But, hey, the Leinster schools cup matches are on the bloomin' telly these days, so maybe he's just drumming up support for the competition?
schools cup has been on telly for years.

name dropping a 12 year old seems to me to be a bit much by Jackman.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Zaga won 34 21. Much the better coached team. Won the breakdown massively.
Cheeses of Nazareth
Knowledgeable

Post by Cheeses of Nazareth »

Marys showed a lot of heart. The yellow card/penalty try was a big call but I think Gonzaga always looked liked winning it
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

some great backs on display.

Gonzagas pack wont stand a chance against Rock.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 23rd, 2022, 3:46 pm some great backs on display.

Yeah, really liked the Zaga 9 & 10 and the Marys 12.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

the spoofer wrote: March 23rd, 2022, 4:16 pm

Yeah, really liked the Zaga 9 & 10 and the Marys 12.
Marys 12 only in 4th year.

Gonzaga's 10/12/15 are all 5th years and very good prospects.
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

I suspect a few Newbridge supporters might raise an eyebrow reading this post today....
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

brotheroffrank wrote: March 23rd, 2022, 5:20 pm

I suspect a few Newbridge supporters might raise an eyebrow reading this post today....
we shall see tomorrow, i'd love to see Newbridge in the final, but it's not happening this season.