Leinster Schools SC

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

El Diablo
Mullet

Leinster Schools SC

Post by El Diablo »

Setanta have the 'nure v marys game on Sunday live but they don't have any other 1st round games listed next week. As far as I remember last year they showed nearly all the 1st round games that were in D'brook. Anyone any inside track on how many games they will be showing?
ormond lad
Graduate

Re: Leinster Schools SC

Post by ormond lad »

Has it not been practice for the past few years that they show one game from the opening round and then all remaining games.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Only 1 game in opening round being shown
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

Any news from todays matches anyone. Did anyone see Roscrea/Kilkenny or Belvo/Newbridge?
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

El Diablo wrote:Any news from todays matches anyone. Did anyone see Roscrea/Kilkenny or Belvo/Newbridge?
results all games to date...
St Marys 11 Terenure 24
St Gerards Bray 13 CBC Monkstown 15
St Andrews 7 St Michaels 25
Kilkenny 6 Cistercian Roscrea 22
Newbridge 0 Belvedere 34
Only been following games on twitter to date..
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Roscrea still recruiting from connacht anyway.. brought in Ireland u18 outhalf Rory Gaffney
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Is he by any chance a younger brother of Ciaran?
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

goreyguy wrote:Roscrea still recruiting from connacht anyway.. brought in Ireland u18 outhalf Rory Gaffney
Thought that wasn't allowed anymore at schoolboy level?
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Armchair wrote:
goreyguy wrote:Roscrea still recruiting from connacht anyway.. brought in Ireland u18 outhalf Rory Gaffney
Thought that wasn't allowed anymore at schoolboy level?
So did I but they've definitely brought him in
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

johng wrote:Is he by any chance a younger brother of Ciaran?
Yeah
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

He wasn't "recruited" though.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

ormond lad wrote:
Was he brought in from another school?
Is it just a coincidence that half their team moved to Roscrea and just happened to be excellent rugby players?
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Maybe they were recruited, maybe not. I would guess if a good, rugby-playing fee-paying school doesn't offer a scholarship, then it doesn't count as 'recruitment'. i.e if the kids' parents pay the fees, then it's not recruitment? I don't actually know if this is the case, but I'd imagine it might be.

I'm an alumnus of a big Dublin rugby school. I remember even in my own school year people with zero connections to the school telling me with 100% certainty that 4 or 5 players on the SCT had been recruited/poached from other schools. Sometimes they even named them, and those guys had been in the school since 1st year and absolutely were not rugby recruits. There was one rugby recruit in my year, and he came in for 6th year only so it was fairly blatant. But claims that the big schools recruit en masse, 3, 4, 5 or more in each year, are largely false. I'm not defending the practice at all, more saying that the general perception of its prevalence is exaggerated.

Incidentally, the big country boarding schools were often worse for it than the city schools.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Roscrea are blatantly getting talented rugby players into the school from munster, connacht and leinster.
Dylan Murphy(Munster), Fineen Wycherly(Munster), Michael Milne(Leinster), Aaron Browne(Leinster), Rory Gaffney(Connacht), Keith Kavanagh(Leinster) are 6 that come to mind that are playing SCT this season who joined in the past two summers.
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

goreyguy wrote:
ormond lad wrote:
Was he brought in from another school?
Is it just a coincidence that half their team moved to Roscrea and just happened to be excellent rugby players?
Gaffney wasn't recruited. Just moved to the school for senior cycle like his brother did.
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

neiliog93 wrote:Maybe they were recruited, maybe not. I would guess if a good, rugby-playing fee-paying school doesn't offer a scholarship, then it doesn't count as 'recruitment'. i.e if the kids' parents pay the fees, then it's not recruitment? I don't actually know if this is the case, but I'd imagine it might be.

I'm an alumnus of a big Dublin rugby school. I remember even in my own school year people with zero connections to the school telling me with 100% certainty that 4 or 5 players on the SCT had been recruited/poached from other schools. Sometimes they even named them, and those guys had been in the school since 1st year and absolutely were not rugby recruits. There was one rugby recruit in my year, and he came in for 6th year only so it was fairly blatant. But claims that the big schools recruit en masse, 3, 4, 5 or more in each year, are largely false. I'm not defending the practice at all, more saying that the general perception of its prevalence is exaggerated.

Incidentally, the big country boarding schools were often worse for it than the city schools.
Enticing to move is poaching etc...
Boarding schools will in general be more likely/worse for it than the city schools as they can offer scholarship on boarding costs etc. City schools bar a small number are day schools so it will be quite different....
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Gaffney wasn't recruited. Just moved to the school for senior cycle like his brother did.
Just a coincidence that both are excellent rugby players
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

What ever about recruiting, I know of one player who got close to 600 points in the leaving then Repeated in order to get another year Senior Cup Rugby. Funny thing was that after the cup he stopped going to school and forgot to do the Leaving cert at the end.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

R-Dog wrote:What ever about recruiting, I know of one player who got close to 600 points in the leaving then Repeated in order to get another year Senior Cup Rugby. Funny thing was that after the cup he stopped going to school and forgot to do the Leaving cert at the end.
That was the old school way. Some lads were nearly parents before they left Rock years ago :D
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Some big locks playing schools rugby, the following are above 6'5
Charlie Ryan(Blackrock) - Leinster u18, possibly u17
Jack Dunne(Michaels) - Leinster u18
Oisin Dowling(Michaels) - Leinster u19
Aaron Browne(Roscrea) - Leinster u18
Fineen Wycherly(Roscrea) - Munster u19
Lloyd Stephens(Kilkenny) - Leinster u17
Anu Awonusi(Kilkenny) - Leinster u19