Tributes paid to Schools Rugby Player

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Tributes paid to Schools Rugby Player

Post by Slipper1 »

irishtimes.com wrote:Tributes paid to schools rugby player

Rugby: Tributes have been paid today to Ben Robinson who died after collapsing during a rugby match for Carrickfergus Grammar School.

Robinson was playing for his school in the Medallion Shield against Dalriada from Ballymoney last Saturday when he collapsed. He was taken to the Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast, where he died last night.

The 14-year-old, who played at centre, collapsed after a phase of play late in the game. A doctor who was at the match attended to him immediately before calling for an ambulance. The cause of death will not be known until the post-mortem is completed.

“It was with great shock and sadness that I learnt of the passing of Ben and I would like to take this opportunity on behalf of the entire rugby family across Ireland to pass the deepest condolences to Ben’s parents and family,” said Caleb Powell, IRFU president.

"To lose such a young life is incredibly saddening and I would also like to pass my sympathy to his team mates and school friends in Carrickfergus Grammar School. The thoughts and prayers of Irish Rugby are with you all at this time."

The Ulster branch also expressed their “sincere regret” and “heartfelt condolences are extended to Ben’s parents, family and all at Carrickfergus Grammar School at this time”.

A statement on behalf of his school said Ben was a “vivacious and highly popular pupil” with a “great sense of humour”.

“Ben brought heart to everything he did, and that was very evident in how well he played for the school on Saturday morning. His parents have every right to be deeply proud of him.”

The school said it will offer support to his older sister Holly – who is a student at Carrickfergus - and will open a book of condolences for Ben.
Get in the f%~king bag.