Rolling Subs ...

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

Amz
Mullet

Rolling Subs ...

Post by Amz »

Just saw this on the Leinster site:
Rolling Substitutes will be introduced in all Adult and Under-21 competitions this coming season...

This follows the successful trialing of the Rolling Subs ELV in various Leinster domestic competitions since March 2009. It is also being introduced ahead of the IRFU implementation of rolling subs in the AIL in 2011-12.

Attached is a document that was circulated last season and which incorporates the Rules and Processes around rolling subs – the document now incorporates all levels.

Please note that Rolling Subs will be in place in all games at all levels for the start of the season this coming weekend.

A set of rules and procedures for the smooth operation of the rolling substitution process has been formulated by Leinster Rugby and is set out below:

Leinster Branch Rolling Substitution Rules and Process

A maximum of 12 substitutions (Changes) per team per match will be allowed.

Changes under this Law shall include blood replacements and injuries; indeed any time one player replaces another player from the same team other than front-row replacements required after a yellow card (see 6. below).

When a player has a blood injury and is replaced by another player and then returns to the field of play within the permitted time that will count as 2 changes.

When a player is sent from the field of play under a red card that is not a change.

5. When a player is temporarily suspended under a yellow card and leaves the field of play that is not a change.

When a scrum is ordered during the temporary suspension of a front-row player (Player A), and as a result a player (Player B) is required to leave the field to allow another front-row player (Player C) to come on that does NOT count as a change.

If, at the end of the period of temporary suspension, Player A resumes and Player C leaves the field, that does NOT count as a change.

Player B returning to the field of play is also NOT a change.

If, however, the team opts to leave Player C on at the end of the temporary suspension period instead of Player A returning that IS a change.

After all 12 changes have been made, no other changes will be allowed for whatever reason including injuries. If, after the 12 changes have been made there is any reason for a player to leave the field of play, the team must play on with one less player. Uncontested scrums will apply if this involves a front-row player.

8. It shall be for the Leinster Branch to determine who shall be responsible for administering and counting the changes and how. An optional Procedural Guideline follows.

Procedural Guideline for the Administration and Control of Rolling Substitutions at Matches:

A. Each team will have a set (12) of cards (each set will be a different colour)

B. Each team shall appoint its responsible person (e.g. Coach) who shall be required to hand the appropriate change card in the correct sequence to the referee, touch judge, or 4th official. This must happen before each change takes place and a player enters the field of play. There is no requirement to record or write anything on the card.

C. The referee, touch judge, or 4th official shall receive and retain the cards during the match and shall monitor each team’s use of its changes. The referee is not required to record any information but shall retain the submitted cards until after the end of the match.
What impact will this have?
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Re: Rolling Subs ...

Post by Leinsterman »

Amz wrote: What impact will this have?

It's great at lower levels because it means you can give gametime to all your subs, thus keeping as many people as possible happy and involved in matches.
You can bring someone on, give him/her a go and if it's not working out, take them off and replace them with someone else and maybe throw them back on later.

However, I think it's unfortunate that subs are now limited to 5 people on the bench, as opposed to 6 at lower levels last year.
They should be keeping it at 6 or even 7.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Yeah, def should have kept it at 6 players
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

It'll mean the referees will have to be on their toes. They'll have to learn to count as well as see & run fast.
Get in the f%~king bag.
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

Oh dear ... That's not going to work out very well in women's rugby, they can barely do any of those things as it is.

:shock:
silly punt
Enlightened

Post by silly punt »

Slipper1 wrote:It'll mean the referees will have to be on their toes. They'll have to learn to count as well as see & run fast.
Each team are given 12 coloured cards & everytime a rolling sub is used he gives it to the ref, a team cant make a sub without a card, so when they run out of cards they can no longer make changes.
Experience is the name everyone gives to their failures
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

I think it's going to get a bit messy.
gleesonisgod
Mullet

Post by gleesonisgod »

Well considering it was at 3 subs for J1 and J2 for the previous number of years I think 5 is a good number.

That said, I don't get is why it's not just 7. The argument was that it wasn't fair on smaller teams. I'd contest that it's not fair to those who work hard to keep good numbers at training.

Really don't understand why it's 5 subs at AIL?
I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

gleesonisgod wrote:Well considering it was at 3 subs for J1 and J2 for the previous number of years I think 5 is a good number.
Very true
That said, I don't get is why it's not just 7. The argument was that it wasn't fair on smaller teams. I'd contest that it's not fair to those who work hard to keep good numbers at training.
Couldn't agree more
probably to keep costs down???
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Amz wrote:I think it's going to get a bit messy.
System works fine in practise.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Except when the ref drops the 24 cards he is carring!! That will be fun on a wind swept wet day (our summer)
gleesonisgod
Mullet

Post by gleesonisgod »

Darce wrote:
gleesonisgod wrote:Well considering it was at 3 subs for J1 and J2 for the previous number of years I think 5 is a good number.
Very true
Couldn't agree more
How d'you mean keep costs down?
I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!
Darce
Shane Jennings

Post by Darce »

gleesonisgod wrote:
Darce wrote:
Very true
Couldn't agree more
How d'you mean keep costs down?
For example, if you were say a munster club going up north or something, most will stay over after. 2 Less bodies means 1 less room to be paid for, 2 less dinners paid for, etc etc etc
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on
downtime
Beginner

Post by downtime »

It's been 5 subs at AIL for a number of years now probably due to the need for less front row replacements is only 5 subs are named.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Amz wrote:Oh dear ... That's not going to work out very well in women's rugby, they can barely do any of those things as it is.

Standard practice in scotland for the last few years with no issues. Except they allow 7 people to be named on the subs bench for all league games but only 5 for cup games :evil: really annoying!!
Darce
Shane Jennings

Post by Darce »

Amz wrote:Oh dear ... That's not going to work out very well in women's rugby, they can barely do any of those things as it is.

It actually works though, so not really
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

Cool, hope it does work out.
Helium54
Learner

Post by Helium54 »

downtime wrote:

It's been 5 subs at AIL for a number of years now probably due to the need for less front row replacements is only 5 subs are named.
Ulster clubs play J1s on Saturday, so less pressure on their playing numbers.
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

Just a quick question, is the responsibility for the provision of the cards the refereee's, or the two teams'?
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Amz wrote:Just a quick question, is the responsibility for the provision of the cards the refereee's, or the two teams'?
Don't know for sure but best to adopt the same policy as team cards, make sure your team manager has extras just in case. Some refs are better than others but you can guarantee they all won't have the sub cards.