Shannon fined 25k

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

gleesonisgod
Mullet

Shannon fined 25k

Post by gleesonisgod »

Seems like an enormous fine for an amateur club. When you consider Quins got around £200,000 for what they did. It must have been some tirade of abuse.

Shannon fail in IRFU appeal

Shannon RFC’s appeal against a fine and a suspended points deduction imposed after an AIB League Division One game against Cork Constitution on December 5th last year has been declined by the IRFU.

On December 17th, an IRFU disciplinary panel comprising Hugh Logan (chair), Philip Orr and Michael Coghlan found Shannon guilty of “verbal abuse of the match referee (George Clancy) and officials following the game” Cork Con won 9-8 with a late penalty awarded in front of the posts.

It imposed a fine of €25,000, to be paid to the union’s charitable trust before March 31st, 2010. They also imposed a six-point deduction, suspended on condition there was no further finding of misconduct against Shannon prior to the end of May 2010.

On Wednesday, the appeals panel “reviewed the case and submissions by Shannon RFC” but found that “any mitigating factors submitted on behalf” of the club could not excuse the “very serious nature” of the charges.

In a statement released this afternoon, Shannon said they were “extremely disappointed at the decision” after presenting a “strong case” in a bid to refute the initial findings.

“Shannon’s representation at the appeal hearing presented information that was not available to the initial disciplinary panel pertaining to the clubs ongoing efforts to ensure match officials are afforded respect at all levels for the last number of years.

“Shannon RFC feels that the imposition of such sanctions will have severe consequences on all rugby, at all levels within the club.

It added: “The executive committee will meet early next week to discuss the findings and outcome of the appeal and will be issuing a full and thorough statement soon after.”

In his referee’s report, Clancy alleged he was verbally abused after the game by Shannon legend and Labour councillor Gerry McLoughlin and Shannon RFC president Martin Clancy.

The latter, it was claimed, had to be restrained and ejected from the referee’s changing room by Clancy’s assistants Olly Hodges and Tommy O’Donoghue

His account was supported in submissions by Hodges and O'Donoghue.
I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!
combatlogo
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Shannon fined 25k

Post by combatlogo »

gleesonisgod wrote:Seems like an enormous fine for an amateur club. When you consider Quins got around £200,000 for what they did. It must have been some tirade of abuse.

It was. It was also the 4th such incident in recent years. The fact that it was the Club President and that he didn't fall on his sword meant the appeal was going nowhere. That suspended points deduction migh yet be activated if a report on MF is to be believed.
gleesonisgod
Mullet

Post by gleesonisgod »

combatlogo wrote:
gleesonisgod wrote:Seems like an enormous fine for an amateur club. When you consider Quins got around £200,000 for what they did. It must have been some tirade of abuse.

It was. It was also the 4th such incident in recent years. The fact that it was the Club President and that he didn't fall on his sword meant the appeal was going nowhere. That suspended points deduction migh yet be activated if a report on MF is to be believed.
Really?! I suspected it must have been a repeat offence. If that's the case then fine seems appropriate. If they can't even make it through the probationary period then I hope they get hit for 6.
I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!
gleesonisgod
Mullet

Post by gleesonisgod »

Just looked it up there, a lot of varying reports but at best it doesn't look great for Shannon. But surely you can't punish the firsts for an incident involving the U15s?
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

gleesonisgod wrote:Just looked it up there, a lot of varying reports but at best it doesn't look great for Shannon. But surely you can't punish the firsts for an incident involving the U15s?
You are not punishing the firsts, you are punishing the club.
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Gardai are investigating an alleged on an underage rugby player during a match between Bruff and Shannon at Kilballyowen yesterday.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Garda ... 6010395.jp
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Durkah Durkah
Bookworm

Post by Durkah Durkah »

Whatever the outcome of the alleged incident is, it is terribly sad that rugby has been forced to go down the road of other sports, where the Gardai have to be involved.
I have always found it amazing the behaviour of some adults, both coaches and parents, at under age matches. It seems that their whole weekend mood is based on whether their son/daughter can hammer the opposition. The whole notion that it is kids playing a game seems to go right over their heads. At a critical time for their skills development, some adults have a win at all costs attitude.