Schools Rugby 2009-10 - SCT

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

backrower8
Mullet

Re: Schools Rugby 2009-10 - SCT

Post by backrower8 »

Forgot to add that they are very gracious nin defeat as well! :wink:
Durkah Durkah
Bookworm

Post by Durkah Durkah »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
Durkah Durkah wrote:
Whatever happens the refs are going to want something that doesn't make a mockery of their presence or decisions on a pitch. I don't think the disciplinary panel thought very thoroughly about their decision and were just anxious not to suffer in the same way as The I.T.
How did the IT suffer?
An action has been taken against the IT for the use of the word "gouge" in their initial report on the game. Notice how Cummiskys language has changed today to "contact with the eye/ eye area". I'm not sure if an apology will suffice or if it is going to be taken further.

I think this years final has already been tarnished to the point of no return. If St.Michael's win we will no doubt hear about how all the negative coverage affected the CWC boys. If CWC win we will hear how it was a victory for the legal team and not fair play. It is a very sad state of affairs.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

bgmusic wrote:Lets get back on topic,combat,do you know why Marys didnt attend or allow their alleged victim to give evidence?
Very rare for the team or player that have been offended to show up at a disciplinary meeting usually the officals report is taken as gospel and there would be no need to show up. It made no difference to Mary's what happened they were out and presumably thought the branch would deal with the red card issue :roll:
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Don't agree with that.

Now that everything has been put to bed there is enough time for the players to think about nothing else other than what they have to do in 5 days time over the many sessions they will have together between now and then.

As for the the 'public', while it was very intense issue for those at the very heart of it it simmered away under the surface for 95.2347% of people and didn't become a big media affair so it will be a non-issue on Paddy's Day.
gleesonisgod
Mullet

Post by gleesonisgod »

Armchair wrote:
bgmusic wrote:Lets get back on topic,combat,do you know why Marys didnt attend or allow their alleged victim to give evidence?
Very rare for the team or player that have been offended to show up at a disciplinary meeting usually the officals report is taken as gospel and there would be no need to show up. It made no difference to Mary's what happened they were out and presumably thought the branch would deal with the red card issue :roll:
I've been to two branch hearings and the accuser/victem/citee/ whatever they are called were present at both.
I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!
Leinster Lout
Graduate

Post by Leinster Lout »

cwcmafia wrote:trueblue06 aka joseph Goebells,
it's good to see the michaels propaganda machine is still in full force. That's a pretty pathetic inference there, that he should have been made an exaple of for the good of the game.You sure its not because you're pretty nervous about the final. I'm interested to hear how you think he's a gouger?Do you have any additional evidence that the independant disciplinary panel, who took a balnced view on the whole case and cleared him, didn't have? It seems just slander to be honest at this stage by yourself. Just to be clear, had he been convicted of gouging then I'd be the first to shout for him to be banned for not just the final but a lenghty ban stretching into next year, but he wasn't. So I suggest that you, a michaels past pupil according to your signature(but acccording to your pathetic propaganda i'd say you're propabably a 1st year), not try and bring the name of Clongowes into the gutter with your whinging.

May the best team win on the 17th :happy clapper:
the only double cwc will be getting is a double pack of mcvitees biscuits
Blue Steel
Bookworm

Post by Blue Steel »

Allegedly
Last edited by Blue Steel on March 13th, 2010, 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can derelict my balls, capitan
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Another regrettably one-eyed, self-motivated comment from someone I suspect is one of my own
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

sunday tribune had a small piece on the final, a few lines from greg mcwilliams and noel murray...looks like both teams are sticking with the same starting xv's
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

LEINSTER- MAGNERS LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2008
madridlion
Knowledgeable

Post by madridlion »

Well done Clongowes. Don´t know score but believe yee won. Incredible record over the years. Very envious.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Well done Clongowes 10 years since last SCT Cup I am sure it was enjoyed back in Kildare, they looked a good side yesterday, Michael's were a bit unfortunate in the early exchanges but a deserved win for CW

Said a lot that it was the Captain of Clongowes who was more gracious than his supposed more mature coach in victory
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Cracking game, well done Clongowes!

Well done Michaels as well, played the game in good spirit and showed flair and ability. Hugely impressed by the standard of goalkicking [amongst other things] and several of the players on display – great footwork and pace from Clongowes 15 in particular, but also from the Michaels' backrow. Thought that the Clongowes coach made a bit of a fool of himself afterwards, lacked the sort of grace that you'd expect with such a good win.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Well done Clongowes. Well deserved. You really are our bogey team. Our first SCT was in '76 and in '78 we reached the semis against CWC when you beat us in a squeaky bum win before winning the cup. Then you took us in our first and second finals in close games in '88 and '91. You allowed us '07 before yesterday's hiding. Our only other final was in '06 losing narrowly to Luke Fitz's Rock side. So four out of our 5 finals have been against you with only 1 win from those four and 1 from 5 overall - a very bad stat! Of course in between that side beat us out of sight in the JCT final of '08...as I said, you are our nemesis.

Though you probably were the better side all round with bigger (literally) and more impactful players across the park we repeatedly shot ourselves in the foot by insisting that we could run the ball out of the 22 in the first half and trying to be too clever with ball in hand.

Clongowes appeared to play a good old fashioned game of kicking for field position and then rumbling with a bigger pack. You proved you could move it wide in the 2nd half when your FB showed his class.

Is anyone close enough to the Michael's coaching scene to know if the 'lets run it back all the time' strategy was borne of them or the players?
pomegranate
Beginner

Post by pomegranate »

What did the CWC coach say after the game lads? Was at the match so didn't see the interview.
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

backrower8 wrote:Well done Clongowes. Well deserved. You really are our bogey team. Our first SCT was in '76 and in '78 we reached the semis against CWC when you beat us in a squeaky bum win before winning the cup. Then you took us in our first and second finals in close games in '88 and '91. You allowed us '07 before yesterday's hiding. Our only other final was in '06 losing narrowly to Luke Fitz's Rock side. So four out of our 5 finals have been against you with only 1 win from those four and 1 from 5 overall - a very bad stat! Of course in between that side beat us out of sight in the JCT final of '08...as I said, you are our nemesis.

Though you probably were the better side all round with bigger (literally) and more impactful players across the park we repeatedly shot ourselves in the foot by insisting that we could run the ball out of the 22 in the first half and trying to be too clever with ball in hand.

Clongowes appeared to play a good old fashioned game of kicking for field position and then rumbling with a bigger pack. You proved you could move it wide in the 2nd half when your FB showed his class.

Is anyone close enough to the Michael's coaching scene to know if the 'lets run it back all the time' strategy was borne of them or the players?
that bunch of lads have always played like that all the way through school because they can, great to watch. i remember at the begining of this season they chose not to kick it in games no matter what the circumstances. they had a very athletic pack and a great backline so why not move the ball? of course it is riskier as we found out yesterday but at least they entertained us throughout the campaign.

well done to clongowes. a brilliant performance. they were able to mix the power of their pack with some talented backs at 12 and 15 so fair play full deserved

i was at the match and i've yet to see it on tv..what was said by the clongowes coach?
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

LEINSTER- MAGNERS LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2008
gleesonisgod
Mullet

Post by gleesonisgod »

In 99/2000 Clongowes weren't allowed to kick until after Christmas.

It was a cracking match. While the Clongowes backs were awesome I don't think the scoreline was a fair reflection of St. Michaels performance.

Made a point of getting the inside scoop on the gouge after. Gilsenan did nothing, linesman got the wrong man. The back row was shuffled so it's possible the guy dropped was the offender, that's only my thought though.

I reckon Clongowes will be favourites again next year.
I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

true blue 06 wrote:
backrower8 wrote:Well done Clongowes. Well deserved. You really are our bogey team. Our first SCT was in '76 and in '78 we reached the semis against CWC when you beat us in a squeaky bum win before winning the cup. Then you took us in our first and second finals in close games in '88 and '91. You allowed us '07 before yesterday's hiding. Our only other final was in '06 losing narrowly to Luke Fitz's Rock side. So four out of our 5 finals have been against you with only 1 win from those four and 1 from 5 overall - a very bad stat! Of course in between that side beat us out of sight in the JCT final of '08...as I said, you are our nemesis.

that bunch of lads have always played like that all the way through school because they can, great to watch. i remember at the begining of this season they chose not to kick it in games no matter what the circumstances. they had a very athletic pack and a great backline so why not move the ball? of course it is riskier as we found out yesterday but at least they entertained us throughout the campaign.

well done to clongowes. a brilliant performance. they were able to mix the power of their pack with some talented backs at 12 and 15 so fair play full deserved

i was at the match and i've yet to see it on tv..what was said by the clongowes coach?
I cannot go along with that analysis. Michael's have the rest of their lives to reflect on whether a more balanced strategy would have put them in postion to possibly win were they not insistent on coughing up territory and scores from every kick-off CWC had in the first half.

CWC also showed they could play flashy as well as we could but they out-thought us as to where and when to do that. Michael's style of play looked at worst arrogant and at best deluded having regard to the strong reputation of their opponents and the importance of the occasion. Trying to run it out of our 22 at every opportunity rather than kick was wrong.

I am very sorry for them that they played such an big part in their own undoing. I loved their style and admire them but I think they paid a big price for buying into their high risk approach to the extent they did.

The proof that they were wrong to do so is in CWC's victory as a team that was every bit as skillful as Michael's but had alot more nous.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

I've only seen him a couple of times but could CWC fullback Stephen MacAuley be the next Andrew Conway?
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Donny B. wrote:I've only seen him a couple of times but could CWC fullback Stephen MacAuley be the next Andrew Conway?
If Conway plays like he did against Wales then I hope not, otherwise Macauleys future is bleak.

By the way, he is an Ulster lad.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

gleesonisgod wrote:In 99/2000 Clongowes weren't allowed to kick until after Christmas.

It was a cracking match. While the Clongowes backs were awesome I don't think the scoreline was a fair reflection of St. Michaels performance.

Made a point of getting the inside scoop on the gouge after. Gilsenan did nothing, linesman got the wrong man. The back row was shuffled so it's possible the guy dropped was the offender, that's only my thought though.

I reckon Clongowes will be favourites again next year.
Re the Marys/Clongowes semi: Have it on very good authority that the Mary's coach (former Irish and Lions FB Rodney O'Donnell) went to the referee at half time re high tackles and gouging from CWC and wanting it erradicated.

As of last Sunday I was being told that the Mary's player still had scabs under eyes from being gouged.

Best team won the cup but the ethos of rugby is fast being eroded. In the games I have seen this year I have observed yellow and red cards, cynical and deliberate professional fouling, verbal trashing between players and we all know of the after match fights. Stewards and Gardai now attend in numbers....blah, blah...............sad but true.

I hope the Leinster Branch get hold of things and stop the rot before it goes too far.