New ages for "AGE GRADE RUGBY" 2009/10

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

hittheruck
Beginner

New ages for "AGE GRADE RUGBY" 2009/10

Post by hittheruck »

It has been approved that the new ages for next season are U15s, 17s, 19s, 21s. Presumably in Leinster Club rugby the Culliton Cup will become U19s & the JP Fanagan leagues U21s. The dates of birth will change to 1st January. U21s will be for players born in 1989s & 1990, U19s:- 91s & 92s, U17s:- 93s & 94s, U15s:- 95s & 96s. and so on. One would assume that it would also translate to schools and the Senior Challenge Cup become U19s allowing for slightly older players. This will bring Ieland in line with the rest of Europe who use these ages and cut of dates. It will also bring the club dates of birth in line with the representative sides (who currently use Jan 1st).
The negative effect this will have is that it will further deteriorate the J P Fanagan sides of all but the top clubs in Leinster. Even AIL division 3 clubs like Suttonians, Naas & Barnhall will have a good number of U21s who will be playing with their 1st XV, thus giving a further advantage to the likes of Lansdowne at U21s (who already cause an unlevel playing field with the money they put into their 20s). Clubs outside the Pale will find it even more dificult to field at this age for the same reasons. I predict fewer country based clubs will field U21s.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Re: New ages for "AGE GRADE RUGBY" 2009/10

Post by Armchair »

I agree that it will favour the big Dublin Clubs and hinder the Country clubs but if the standard drops at 19 & 21 level it won't be any good for anybody and I fear that is what is going to happen, clubs were happish to let 20's develop but can't see the provincal clubs waiting an extra year. The average age of the senior teams in each club seems to be going down not up with some lads retiring now at 30, I stand to be corrected but I think this will cause a lot of problems in the next couple of years and will be detremental to club rugby. More harm than good is my opinion!
Frontrowtype
Beginner

Post by Frontrowtype »

Hi

Am a bit confused , is the cut off date 01/01/2010 for the 2009/2010 season?

ie to play U15 does that mean that a player has to born in the 1995 season ?(2010-15 = 1995)

its just that our club has players in our U14 team , born in 1994 ,just underage, that would be overage for 15s and would be physically too small for U17S.

messy

thanks

FRT
hittheruck
Beginner

Post by hittheruck »

Yes, a player born 31st December 1994 will have to play U17s rugby. It's just unfortunate for him. It's no different to players now born in June who can give away up to 23 months to other players in the same age group. Every club will struggle for a while. I know in our club (anon.) we have only about five players born in 1992 (currently playing U16s or U18s). It does not change the fact that you will always get some players born at the wrong time,, the max age diference will still be 23 months.
Durkah Durkah
Bookworm

Post by Durkah Durkah »

Will the SCT cup be on 1st January 92? What happens to the lads in 6th year that have birthdays before the new year? Will they make the SCT an U19 competition. And the JCT cup? Will they make it U16 or will they keep it U15 on the new date and have teams predominantly made up of 2nd years? So many question. To quote Reverend Lovejoy's wife "Will somebody please think of the children!!!"
hittheruck
Beginner

Post by hittheruck »

I'm guessing schools will follow suit. They will likely make it a U16s for JC & U19s for SC. That way no pupil will miss out
lebowski
Learner

Post by lebowski »

I would imagine that schools will not change. The last change in age at JCT level from July 1st to April 1st was hotly debated. There were concerns that it would end up as a 4th year competition if the date changed by too much. I think it will be pushed by Leinster, given that the present dates, differ from representative dates. However, ultimatly it will be decided by the schools at the AGM and I doubt it will be on the agenda.

I would hope that it would change as the present cut-off dates make no sense at all, but don't underestimate the conservative nature of those running schools rugby.