Slow response times

If you have feedback about the site or the forum, leave it here

Moderator: moderators

Hickiefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Hickiefan »

limecat wrote:
Hickiefan wrote:Zulu - if you are reading this I am NOT HAPPY with you and your focking Harry Potter spoiler. I'm not opening the thread so can't post this there. I think you should delete it before ruining anyone else's read - unless of course it's a joke... in which case it's still evil :evil: :evil: :twisted:
I would have removed it if it wasn't a joke :lol:
<Huge sigh of relief>

Was too scared to open thread to check.

LZ - you'll still get yours :evil: :wink:
Qui me amat, amet et Leinsterum meum.
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

I echo HF's post re LeinsterZulu and Harry Potter - that was mean.

It may be a coincidence that she chose this thread to complain, but I have found response times recently (last week or so) have been painfully slow. I have found it most noticeable when waiting for posts to be submitted, and going on the amount of double or triple posts around lately, some others may be experiencing the same. That or they really are stupid and just keep pressing the submit button over and over again :wink:
Get in the f%~king bag.
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Slipper1 wrote:I echo HF's post re LeinsterZulu and Harry Potter - that was mean.

It may be a coincidence that she chose this thread to complain, but I have found response times recently (last week or so) have been painfully slow. I have found it most noticeable when waiting for posts to be submitted, and going on the amount of double or triple posts around lately, some others may be experiencing the same. That or they really are stupid and just keep pressing the submit button over and over again :wink:
Having now got through to page 1 of this thread - I can see that all my answers have been posted before I even asked my questions; LC, you rock!
Get in the f%~king bag.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Good News: Hopefully performance will be better tomorrow :)

Bad News: Nothing from before the 1st of January this year is searchable any more :(
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
Muriel
Seán Cronin

Post by Muriel »

limecat wrote:Good News: Hopefully performance will be better tomorrow :)

Bad News: Nothing from before the 1st of January this year is searchable any more :(
Is it deleted or just not searchable? And why's that?
When I pulled my hamstring, I went to a misogynist. - Brittany (Glee)
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Leinster Lady wrote:Is it deleted or just not searchable? And why's that?
Just not searchable.

I think that the main reason for the slow-down has been the fact that there are / were about 5 million rows in the search table.

Any time somebody posts anything, this table is updated and new entries are added for most of the words that they've entered. I reckon that there was a serious slow-down in the performance of this table, so I've cleared out all of the old entries.

I suspect that the speed of searching and updating this table was also impacting on the general performance of the database and thus the forum as a whole.

</nerd>
Muriel
Seán Cronin

Post by Muriel »

limecat wrote:
Just not searchable.

I think that the main reason for the slow-down has been the fact that there are / were about 5 million rows in the search table.

Any time somebody posts anything, this table is updated and new entries are added for most of the words that they've entered. I reckon that there was a serious slow-down in the performance of this table, so I've cleared out all of the old entries.

I suspect that the speed of searching and updating this table was also impacting on the general performance of the database and thus the forum as a whole.

</nerd>
I knew that ;)
When I pulled my hamstring, I went to a misogynist. - Brittany (Glee)
Leinster Zulu
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinster Zulu »

limecat wrote:I think that the main reason for the slow-down has been the fact that there are / were about 5 million rows in the search table.

But yesterday, for example, the response times were pretty good...
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Leinster Zulu wrote:But yesterday, for example, the response times were pretty good...
Yesterday was Sunday, so there was a lot less traffic on the site.
Leinster Zulu
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinster Zulu »

limecat wrote:
Leinster Zulu wrote:But yesterday, for example, the response times were pretty good...
Yesterday was Sunday, so there was a lot less traffic on the site.
OK then, Friday, for example, I don't seem to remember there being slow response times, nothing compared to today anyway; and you can't say the weekend made that much of a difference to the "search table". :?

Oh and I'm not trying to deliberately contradict you or anything like that, I'm just wondering, I find it quite interesting, that's all! :)
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

limecat wrote:
Just not searchable.

There were plenty of rows on the Tag thread, some which nearly developed into fistycuffs, some disagreements on the Slatterys thread and other sporadic outbreaks of fighting elsewhere, but 5 million rows in the search table, missed them.
Get in the f%~king bag.
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Hickiefan wrote:
limecat wrote:
Hickiefan wrote:Zulu - if you are reading this I am NOT HAPPY with you and your focking Harry Potter spoiler. I'm not opening the thread so can't post this there. I think you should delete it before ruining anyone else's read - unless of course it's a joke... in which case it's still evil :evil: :evil: :twisted:
I would have removed it if it wasn't a joke :lol:
<Huge sigh of relief>

Was too scared to open thread to check.

LZ - you'll still get yours :evil: :wink:
so does he.....
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

sarah_lennon wrote:so does he.....
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

Site very temperamental again tonight, no?
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Been very erratic for the last hour or so.
A proud Winsome Fluter
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

Thought I was the only one. I was getting an error page with MySQL errors and something about database not found. Will copy it in here if i get it again.
I am the one who knocks!
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

ruck wrote:Thought I was the only one. I was getting an error page with MySQL errors and something about database not found. Will copy it in here if i get it again.
No need. I've been getting errors as well.

I guess that it's one of the problems with cheap web hosting...at the end of the day, you get what you pay for. :(
Leinster Zulu
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinster Zulu »

Took me three minutes to load up this thread, God knows how long it will take me to actually submit my post! :shock:

EDIT: Seems to be going really quickly now, the kiss of death strikes again! :lol: