Quoting from newspapers

If you have feedback about the site or the forum, leave it here

Moderator: moderators

olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Quoting from newspapers

Post by olaf the fat »

Just a quick question, when posting something thats is shown in a newspaper on line edition, whats allowed and acceptable?

This relates to the general topic mostly as opposed to any particular rugby article. I posted an article in the general area quoted from the indo on line, looked it over to realise I had included names and some personal details (which the indo had printed) and edited/removed these before it had any views. I would just like to know what is acceptable, and want to avoid any problems.

Cheers
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Eve
Mullet Moderator

Re: Quoting from newspapers

Post by Eve »

olaf the fat wrote:Just a quick question, when posting something thats is shown in a newspaper on line edition, whats allowed and acceptable?

This relates to the general topic mostly as opposed to any particular rugby article. I posted an article in the general area quoted from the indo on line, looked it over to realise I had included names and some personal details (which the indo had printed) and edited/removed these before it had any views. I would just like to know what is acceptable, and want to avoid any problems.

Cheers
So long as you avoid anything remotely libellous you should be fine. It's always nice to quote your source too!
Summer is ready when you are

meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

From my limited understanding (and having had some advice on the matter a few years ago, in an Irish context), we follow pretty much most other western countries. You're generally allowed re-publish a "reasonable" proportion of freely available content for the purpose of discussion, provided that you name the source and do not gain commercial advantage. From the interpretation of the advice I had, It would exclude re-publishing the entire article, re-publishing without credit or re-publishing private or paid-for content. Unless you have permission, of course. A lot of that goes on here! So if it's "fair use" (a U.S. term, granted) then you're good to go.

What is "reasonable" is up to the courts to decide, but

As for libellous content, when re-publishing libellous content, "but they published it" isn't a valid defence.

Getting a copyright solicitor to nail down what you can and can't do isn't easy though.
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
Doc
Graduate

Post by Doc »

basic guidelines in academic life (cf purposes of discussion etc) are that a paragraph or so may be direct quoted at a time if you're providing analysis/refutation/comment etc
simply reproducing even a paragraph without adding anything yourself would be breaking the law.