Anti Social Behavior

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Anti Social Behavior

Post by CiaranIrl »

Sometimes I wonder if it was always like this. Is it just that I live in a world full of smartphones and I'm older and less tolerant than I used to be? I'm getting video after video in WhatsApp groups of scrotes beating the sh!t out of each other in town, and it sets my pulse racing with rage.

I brought my kids into town a couple of weeks back for a roam around the place - just after museums opened up again. I saw a man shooting up off pearse street when walking up from the Dart. There were groups of assholes hanging around temple bar and Westmoreland street throwing shapes at people walking by. Then Mary street was just a sea of tents and homeless/mentally ill people.

What the f%~k is going on with Dublin at this stage? How is it that we've given up on the center of the capital city? I've been to dozens and dozens of cities across Europe, Asia and North and South America, and I haven't ever seen this sort of cr@p.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Anti Social Behavior

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Was just chatting about this with a few friends and none of us have any interest in heading into town any time soon because of it, it’s seriously depressing stuff.

There’s huge groups of teenagers always walking by/drinking in my neck of the woods but aren’t causing any trouble at all, not sure why town is such a magnet for it.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Teenagers have been really polite generally.

City centre was abandoned for 15 months and schools were closed for a lot of time. It wasn't designed for everyone to be outdoors at once and all the facilities like toilets, bins etc are inadequate. It shouldn't be too surprising that a few elements are feral and on the other side lots of people are far more sensitive to crowds and groups.

Hopefully it'll all settle down in a few weeks.
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

I took a walk around town yesterday morning. The streets in the Grafton St area were/are absolutely filthy. It was depressing. The city council have done jack during the various lock downs to maintain and clean the streets and footpaths. Dirty old town. It was depressing.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

CiaranIrl wrote:Sometimes I wonder if it was always like this. Is it just that I live in a world full of smartphones and I'm older and less tolerant than I used to be? I'm getting video after video in WhatsApp groups of scrotes beating the sh!t out of each other in town, and it sets my pulse racing with rage.

I brought my kids into town a couple of weeks back for a roam around the place - just after museums opened up again. I saw a man shooting up off pearse street when walking up from the Dart. There were groups of assholes hanging around temple bar and Westmoreland street throwing shapes at people walking by. Then Mary street was just a sea of tents and homeless/mentally ill people.

What the f%~k is going on with Dublin at this stage? How is it that we've given up on the center of the capital city? I've been to dozens and dozens of cities across Europe, Asia and North and South America, and I haven't ever seen this sort of cr@p.
Have you been to another city at the arse end of a covid pandemic? I haven't either. But what you say isn't that surprising to me. I've worked in the city centre for the last 3 years and I've seen all you describe and worse before covid. Now there are more people falling through the cracks because of covid so the numbers of that are on the up. But on the other end of the scale, everyone who used to work in the city centre is not there now. You don't see anyone in business suits or fancy clothes because they are all at home. So the balance of what you used to see is all out of kilter.

BTW I would like to offer Amsterdam as an example. I was there 20 years ago and about 5 years ago and the centre has changed a lot, for the better. Apparently it was much worse in the 90s before I ever saw it.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk