for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Seán O'Brien autobiography

Post by Oldschool »

Just finished Sean O'Brien's book.
Interesting.
Interestingly, Gerry was his ghost writer.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
bluemagic
Enlightened

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by bluemagic »

Oldschool wrote: April 29th, 2021, 4:56 pm Just finished Sean O'Brien's book.
Interesting.
Any Leinster specific pieces of interest?
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

bluemagic wrote: April 29th, 2021, 6:37 pm
Interesting.
Impressions.
There are clicks in the Leinster camp.
Some are age related.
Some are country (clubs) v schools related and admitted he had/has a chip on his shoulder about it.
He's very tight with RK, DK and JH.
Didn't say very much about any of the coaches but thinks Decco is great and I suspect Chieka was his type of coach.
Likes Leo both as player and coach.
Supports and has invested in Tullow business so he watches the money (Rightly so)
Finds it hard playing in England and didn't really want to leave Leinster but wasn't left with much choice.
Half way through the book I found myself not really liking his persona but by the end I was feeling a lot more sympathetic.
In so far as he could be I think he was quite honest certainly a lot less banal than Drico's first effort.
While he didn't say it specifically, I think he'd like to coach when he retires.
He and Gerry did a good enough job.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Oldschool wrote: April 30th, 2021, 11:50 am
Interesting.
Impressions.
Some are age related.
Some are country (clubs) v schools related and admitted he had/has a chip on his shoulder about it.
Didn't say very much about any of the coaches but thinks Decco is great and I suspect Chieka was his type of coach.
Supports and has invested in Tullow business so he watches the money (Rightly so)
Finds it hard playing in England and didn't really want to leave Leinster but wasn't left with much choice.
Half way through the book I found myself not really liking his persona but by the end I was feeling a lot more sympathetic.
In so far as he could be I think he was quite honest certainly a lot less banal than Drico's first effort.
While he didn't say it specifically, I think he'd like to coach when he retires.
Anything about PISSGATE?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

blockhead wrote: April 30th, 2021, 11:58 am
Oldschool wrote: April 30th, 2021, 11:50 am

Impressions.
Some are age related.
Anything about PISSGATE?
Yeah it was addressed, but let me put it this way, would you incriminate yourself?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Twist wrote: April 30th, 2021, 12:50 pm
Oldschool wrote: April 30th, 2021, 12:09 pm
blockhead wrote: April 30th, 2021, 11:58 am
Anything about PISSGATE?
Yeah it was addressed, but let me put it this way, would you incriminate yourself?
I really think he's been very lucky with that. When you consider that his clubmate had his international career ended and was run outta town after being acquitted, SOB has sustained comparatively little reputational damage. I'm not saying that he should have been given the same treatment because I don't think that at all, I just think the difference is striking
The one other thing I probably should have mentioned is the injuries, the operations and the amount of pain he's had to suffer.
Professional rugby is bad for a player's health and not just the concussion side of things.