Happy Christmas

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

IanD
Official Mascot

Happy Christmas

Post by IanD »

Folks

I hope you are all in good form. I feel just wishing you all a Merry Christmas kinda falls short this year so please indulge me.

In my hallway I store my flag poles and my flags. The flagpoles are in their bag wedged between the doorframe and my hall table. The flags live in a ball under the table. Both are clearly visible - I can see the poles as I walk up to the front door and the blue white and yellow does stand out a bit - so I see these reminders every day. They are reminders of great days out, meeting great people and the camaraderie of roaring on our team.

Obviously this year has been tough on everyone and I thankfully have not lost any relations or friends to Covid so I count myself very lucky. Those of you who have met me will agree that I am a little bit chatty and I do enjoy meeting people. I have found the lock downs tougher than I coud ever imagine when we started in March. I miss my Boardgame Club meet ups and I miss dropping round to mates for more games. I miss having friends round to watch rugby on the Telly - WhatsApping abuse of Referees is just not the same as shouting in unison at the box.

I miss the Folks I sit near in the North Stand on match day. I miss the people who greet me as they walk past my seat before the match. I miss the people who tell me I have a great flag as they leave after the match. I miss the kids asking if they can have a go of my flag. I miss telling the kids I can't let them because of Health and Safety. I miss the Team waving to me - and only me - at the end of each game too.

My partner and I met after a Leinster match and on the 3rd of December of this year we have been together for 10 years. Even though she stands on the terrace and I sit in the North Stand we still do go to the games "together". So to say Leinster Rugby is a massive part of my life is an understatement. I just never realised how big a part it is.

As an aside my dogs are getting old. Both are nearly 12 and we have to treat them as"Geriatrics". No long hikes or big walks - we used to do 3 or 4 hour hikes - but we are restricted to 5 to 10 minute walks a few times a day. It is just not the same going for a walk on my own.

On a positive note can I just thank the Moderators for keeping this place ticking over and all the posters for posting. It is a great link to for me to like minded brethren. It's not the same as chewing the fat before during or after the game but it really helps fill the gap.

Don't tell the 3 Wise Men of Blues Talk - their heads are big enough already - but to listen to the Lads talking about Leinster has helped fill the void not attending matches has created too. Thanks Mauler Dave and John. Please keep up the good work, it is very much appreciated.

As I near the end of my post I come back around to my flags and the poles. I could move them but I like the memories they evoke. I see them as a reminder of better times in the past and the hope for better times in the future. I look forward to meeting everyone at our next home match. I look forward to waving my flags at our next home match. I look forward to the roar as Leinster run out onto the pitch at our next home match. I look forward to the Team waving to me - and remember only me - after our next home match.

My Flags will fly again.

And so will yours.

Stay safe and keep your Flags dry.

So to each and everyone of you I wish you and yours A Very Merry Christmas and an Amazing 2021.

Cheers Ian
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Re: Happy Christmas

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

IanD wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 11:56 pm Folks

I hope you are all in good form. I feel just wishing you all a Merry Christmas kinda falls short this year so please indulge me.

In my hallway I store my flag poles and my flags. The flagpoles are in their bag wedged between the doorframe and my hall table. The flags live in a ball under the table. Both are clearly visible - I can see the poles as I walk up to the front door and the blue white and yellow does stand out a bit - so I see these reminders every day. They are reminders of great days out, meeting great people and the camaraderie of roaring on our team.

Obviously this year has been tough on everyone and I thankfully have not lost any relations or friends to Covid so I count myself very lucky. Those of you who have met me will agree that I am a little bit chatty and I do enjoy meeting people. I have found the lock downs tougher than I coud ever imagine when we started in March. I miss my Boardgame Club meet ups and I miss dropping round to mates for more games. I miss having friends round to watch rugby on the Telly - WhatsApping abuse of Referees is just not the same as shouting in unison at the box.

I miss the Folks I sit near in the North Stand on match day. I miss the people who greet me as they walk past my seat before the match. I miss the people who tell me I have a great flag as they leave after the match. I miss the kids asking if they can have a go of my flag. I miss telling the kids I can't let them because of Health and Safety. I miss the Team waving to me - and only me - at the end of each game too.

My partner and I met after a Leinster match and on the 3rd of December of this year we have been together for 10 years. Even though she stands on the terrace and I sit in the North Stand we still do go to the games "together". So to say Leinster Rugby is a massive part of my life is an understatement. I just never realised how big a part it is.

As an aside my dogs are getting old. Both are nearly 12 and we have to treat them as"Geriatrics". No long hikes or big walks - we used to do 3 or 4 hour hikes - but we are restricted to 5 to 10 minute walks a few times a day. It is just not the same going for a walk on my own.

On a positive note can I just thank the Moderators for keeping this place ticking over and all the posters for posting. It is a great link to for me to like minded brethren. It's not the same as chewing the fat before during or after the game but it really helps fill the gap.

Don't tell the 3 Wise Men of Blues Talk - their heads are big enough already - but to listen to the Lads talking about Leinster has helped fill the void not attending matches has created too. Thanks Mauler Dave and John. Please keep up the good work, it is very much appreciated.

As I near the end of my post I come back around to my flags and the poles. I could move them but I like the memories they evoke. I see them as a reminder of better times in the past and the hope for better times in the future. I look forward to meeting everyone at our next home match. I look forward to waving my flags at our next home match. I look forward to the roar as Leinster run out onto the pitch at our next home match. I look forward to the Team waving to me - and remember only me - after our next home match.

My Flags will fly again.

And so will yours.

Stay safe and keep your Flags dry.

So to each and everyone of you I wish you and yours A Very Merry Christmas and an Amazing 2021.

Cheers Ian
Bravo Ian,

Have a good one
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Great post Ian. You'll be back waving that flag soon enough man, you'll be the first one they let in.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
tigerburnie
Enlightened

Post by tigerburnie »

Merry Christmas all, hope next year sees us all back to something like normal again, stay safe and well.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Great message Ian, thanks for taking the time to type it out.

I’d like to thank the mods and other posters too, it really is a great outlet and means I don’t bore my friends about rugby...much better to bore all of you instead.

Happy Christmas everyone and here’s to a much happier 2021!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Great Post IanD.
I'd just add a special mention for any of you who have to work on Christmas Day.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
BlueStreak
Knowledgeable

Post by BlueStreak »

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Ian, thanks for the message. Happy Christmas.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan