Leaving Cert results 2020

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Leaving Cert results 2020

Post by Oldschool »

No axe to grind here.
The couple of comments I've heard, not my own opinion as I don't have any skin in the"game" so to speak.

1. Some parents have a sense of entitlement, weren't happy with the results and good enough for them.
2. The private fee paying schools have been shafted.

About the only comment I would make would be in relation to people who are stuck with their last year's leaving cert results.
If the the points are up overall this year then perhaps last year's students should be given a commensurate increase.

I thought they should have gone ahead with the exams but spilt milk at this stage.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Leaving Cert results 2020

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Oldschool wrote: September 11th, 2020, 4:13 pm No axe to grind here.
The couple of comments I've heard, not my own opinion as I don't have any skin in the"game" so to speak.

1. Some parents have a sense of entitlement, weren't happy with the results and good enough for them.
2. The private fee paying schools have been shafted.

About the only comment I would make would be in relation to people who are stuck with their last year's leaving cert results.
If the the points are up overall this year then perhaps last year's students should be given a commensurate increase.

I thought they should have gone ahead with the exams but spilt milk at this stage.
DoES appear to have decided to screw 'grind schools' as well as East Coast fee payers. Political / philosophic outlook in DoES is rumoured to have left wing tendancies.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

I think they screwed the pooch. The French got around it by expanding the intake for the year. It’ll fall back to normal levels after a year or 2. Now maybe we don’t have that option given the way there are various tiers of third level in this country, there would likely be uproar if RTC towns lost all their students to Dublin etc.

I see this ending up in court and then it being discovered they actively discriminated in favour of less well off schools liable for damages etc.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

paddyor wrote: September 12th, 2020, 3:32 pm I think they screwed the pooch. The French got around it by expanding the intake for the year. It’ll fall back to normal levels after a year or 2. Now maybe we don’t have that option given the way there are various tiers of third level in this country, there would likely be uproar if RTC towns lost all their students to Dublin etc.

I see this ending up in court and then it being discovered they actively discriminated in favour of less well off schools liable for damages etc.
I don't know if they did. They saw the absolute PR disaster that the Tories went through for weighting the grades towards schools' prior performances, moved to avoid it and pushed the blame down the line.

It is a matter of public record that this adjustment was going to be part of the marking system in Ireland too; then the coalition government saw Twitter go f*cking nuts on the Tories, and they thought to themselves "we can avoid this massive public sh*t-fest and portray ourselves as treating the children of Ireland absolutely equally, affording them the same opportunity regarding of race, creed or postcode."

That the children/people who stood to lose out came from more affluent Dublin-backgrounds was the best possible outcome for the government; there is no sympathy for them. It doesn't matter how diligent they have been, how thoughtful they are or, on the basic premise of education in Ireland, how well-versed they are in their subjects of choice.

There are examples that, in the abstract, are pretty funny: sons and daughters of native German-speakers from Ireland's only German-speaking school getting their German grades marked down because there were too many 'A's in the class, while kids who study German in other schools around the country – who were awarded 100% for oral and aural exams they didn't sit – were given 'A' grades in a state exam based on their standing in a class of 30 students, most of whom are, by European standards, mediocre linguists. I don't think it's a particular stretch to say that that 'A' student might have been amongst the lower-ranked students in a class of 30 had they sat their exam in the German school.

The kids who really got screwed are the ones who did their Leaving Certs the year previously but did not take up a college position – maybe they suffered an illness, or a parent/sibling died or whatever. Their points are massively devalued by teachers' rampant grade inflation and the government's disinclination to correct same. They just got their life plans derailed at a young age for a second time by a stressed out government deciding to take the populist route.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Hard to know, populist government alright but they can’t afford making enemies of the private school middle class.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

ronk wrote:Hard to know, populist government alright but they can’t afford making enemies of the private school middle class.
Who else will they vote for? Parties that may well abolish private school funding?
I have Bumbleflex
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Speaking to someone who recruits Graduates into the Financial services sector has said to me that anyone with a Leaving Certificate from 2020 will have a big red mark against them. Their for advice anyone is repeat next year and get a "real result".
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

IanD wrote:Speaking to someone who recruits Graduates into the Financial services sector has said to me that anyone with a Leaving Certificate from 2020 will have a big red mark against them. Their for advice anyone is repeat next year and get a "real result".
As someone who recruits into the financial sector... I don't even look at leaving cert results.

In fact I sort of question anyone who makes a thing of them on their CV. Sort of an indication of having done not a lot since

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

The Doc wrote: September 12th, 2020, 10:07 pm
IanD wrote:Speaking to someone who recruits Graduates into the Financial services sector has said to me that anyone with a Leaving Certificate from 2020 will have a big red mark against them. Their for advice anyone is repeat next year and get a "real result".
As someone who recruits into the financial sector... I don't even look at leaving cert results.

In fact I sort of question anyone who makes a thing of them on their CV. Sort of an indication of having done not a lot since

But their LC Results dictate where they study and what course.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

IanD wrote:

But their LC Results dictate where they study and what course.
They dictate where they might start... Not how they finish. Multiple ways of getting degrees.

I'm not saying results don't have a function. Just that if I'm recruiting graduates, I don't care about leaving cert results.

I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I’ve come across my share of really dim recruiters who would say and do things like that.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Unless it has changed drastically the leaving cert is an exercise in learning how to answer a big list of questions
RavenhillRaider
Knowledgeable

Post by RavenhillRaider »

Its getting like that with degrees now. We don't focus on whether people get 1st or not.
We test their competencies and assess their skills for the role they are applying for.
BOD is GOD!
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Spot on. I'm in the same position (recruiting into financial services) and the LC is not in any way relevant for someone who has gone on and obtained a third level qualification, in terms of recruitment. Most applicants don't even have it on their CV, and if they did I wouldn't pay attention to it.
Maybe some recruiters do differently, but more fool them.
Dont Panic!