Help for the clueless

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Help for the clueless

Post by RoboProp »

New couch being delivered, slight dilemma. We had the house cladded earlier in the year and a new front sliding porch door put in, earlier this month we had a new oven delivered the front door was too narrow for the oven. The delivery guy and I were able just about able to put get the oven in through the back door. All well and good, until I remembered we have new couches being delivered next week and the old ones removed. I don't think we'll be able to manage with the sliding door, I tried lifting it off the runner but alas no joy there. My wife said they should be able to go through the front window, is this advisable?

Hope this rambling mess makes sense
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Help for the clueless

Post by blockhead »

RoboProp wrote: August 25th, 2020, 11:32 am New couch being delivered, slight dilemma. We had the house cladded earlier in the year and a new front sliding porch door put in, earlier this month we had a new oven delivered the front door was too narrow for the oven. The delivery guy and I were able just about able to put get the oven in through the back door. All well and good, until I remembered we have new couches being delivered next week and the old ones removed. I don't think we'll be able to manage with the sliding door, I tried lifting it off the runner but alas no joy there. My wife said they should be able to go through the front window, is this advisable?

There is always something on YouTube that can help.
Check this out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tam7KO4qhUI
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Taking out the windows is not for the faint hearted. You would have to A/ Not break them and B/ reseal them afterwards. Taking off door(s) would be much handier.

Best of all is get a time machine and order your couches for just before the door went in. :D
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

blockhead wrote: August 25th, 2020, 11:43 am

There is always something on YouTube that can help.
Check this out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tam7KO4qhUI
Feel this should sort things out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao5wiaze1TQ
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

taking the front windows our for a delivery like this is actually common enough. You'll need to coordinate to ensure they are removed and replaced at the right time, but I've seen it done a few times.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

johng wrote: August 25th, 2020, 12:01 pm Taking out the windows is not for the faint hearted. You would have to A/ Not break them and B/ reseal them afterwards. Taking off door(s) would be much handier.

Best of all is get a time machine and order your couches for just before the door went in. :D
The couches weren't too bad this time last year, let's just say I'm a tough task master on all things furniture :oops:
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Madly enough. I might be in a similar situation myself. Tough access to a room where we have to stand up a couch on the bottom step and curl it round into the room.

New couch coming next week which is about devin toner length. We have never had one longer than scott fardy in there before. Gonna be a close thing.

:P
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Get smaller couches fattos
I have Bumbleflex
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

RoboProp wrote: August 25th, 2020, 11:32 am New couch being delivered, slight dilemma. We had the house cladded earlier in the year and a new front sliding porch door put in, earlier this month we had a new oven delivered the front door was too narrow for the oven. The delivery guy and I were able just about able to put get the oven in through the back door. All well and good, until I remembered we have new couches being delivered next week and the old ones removed. I don't think we'll be able to manage with the sliding door, I tried lifting it off the runner but alas no joy there. My wife said they should be able to go through the front window, is this advisable?

If the windows are original to the house, they might be cramped into the brickwork/blockwork [with these – https://www.buildersmetalwork.com/windo ... tml?page=1 ]. Then it's a quite a significant pain in the hole.

If you reckon you can get it through your front door once the sliding door to the porch is removed, I'd get in contact with the guys who put in the sliding door. Going from your post, it's only a matter of months since they put the door in, so they'll know first hand what they will have to do to take it out and put it back in place.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

johng wrote:Madly enough. I might be in a similar situation myself. Tough access to a room where we have to stand up a couch on the bottom step and curl it round into the room.

New couch coming next week which is about devin toner length. We have never had one longer than scott fardy in there before. Gonna be a close thing.

:P
Pivot!!! PIVOT!!!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

hugonaut wrote: August 25th, 2020, 7:36 pm

If the windows are original to the house, they might be cramped into the brickwork/blockwork [with these – https://www.buildersmetalwork.com/windo ... tml?page=1 ]. Then it's a quite a significant pain in the hole.

If you reckon you can get it through your front door once the sliding door to the porch is removed, I'd get in contact with the guys who put in the sliding door. Going from your post, it's only a matter of months since they put the door in, so they'll know first hand what they will have to do to take it out and put it back in place.
I would of thought he just meant the pane of glass rather than the frame. Which for a lot of windows is easy enough if YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TOOLS(suction pads). A callout fee for a glazer.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

That would only work if you have a single pane of glass in your window big enough to take a sofa. Many windows are made up of smaller panes. Mine for example.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Yeah but John, your windows are crown glass from a time when it wasn't possible to make large windows.

Coz you is old
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Yeah but my windows are relatively young
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Is the sofa is higher than the height of the door? You need to go back to the sliding door for another go RP, they all lift or slip out. There is usually a high point on the inside of the top runner where you can lift up and tilt the bottom out.
Failing that, the house directly behind you may be able to take it through their house, over the wall and through the back door?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Peg Leg wrote: August 26th, 2020, 10:02 am Is the sofa is higher than the height of the door? You need to go back to the sliding door for another go RP, they all lift or slip out. There is usually a high point on the inside of the top runner where you can lift up and tilt the bottom out.
Failing that, the house directly behind you may be able to take it through their house, over the wall and through the back door?
RE: the sliding door, the runners on those are fully serviceable-the door ALWAYS comes off. 3 things to look out for:
The lift point at the top.
A removable slip on the bottom runner that needs to be taken off to give the necessary clearance.
The runner wheel adjustment point (see image below- if it's a new door there'll be a rubber cover or two over these adjustment points). Reduce the runner wheels on all four corners to their lowest point and there will be enough clearance to lift and tilt the door out.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

johng wrote: August 26th, 2020, 8:29 am That would only work if you have a single pane of glass in your window big enough to take a sofa. Many windows are made up of smaller panes. Mine for example.
Because I think he'd be out of his mind to remove the entire frame. Surely there's one window in your house on the ground floor that's just a single pane?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Not at the front or that has access to the room where the couches are going.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Don't forget to let us know how you got on.
Which mad hat suggestions did you try?
If you want to be diplomatic just tell us the one that worked, we'll draw our own conclusions from there.

My own suggestion would have been to hire a JCB, rob a bank ATM and then money would have been no object.
And if you had any money leftover go for a pint (and a meal, of course) afterwards
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Stay of execution, told today the couches won't be ready until mid October now. Phoned the crowd who installed door and they told me how to remove anti lift, my bro-in-law said I should remove stoppers and handles instead and just push door all the way back. His theory is lifting the door means possible smashy smashy