Donald Trump - Have your say.

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Donald Trump - Have your say.

Post by Oldschool »

Try not to be too abusive and don't forget to throw in a bit of humour.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... KaY0GjSUhi
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Donald Trump - Have your say.

Post by Hornet »

I believe he is related to Father Jack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eRhWT4fYmk
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Just in.
Trump has just been charged with a bleach of the peace and domestos abuse?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

He is merely a symptom of a very broken and divided country.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Peg Leg wrote:He is merely a symptom of a very broken and divided country.
The country is definitely broken for sure, I see Trump as very much part of the problem
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Oldschool wrote:For Balance.
https://youtu.be/Z6Oczyk6nCw
How is that balance OS? Balance against what btw?
It's a video of a group of people that you would likely put in the "Leftist PC brigade" column, getting predictions wildly wrong about a reality TV real estate mogul winning the US election in 2016. I get that you like the fact that he has upset the apple cart and doesn't kowtow to anyone but himself and his instinct, but he has not come through on many of his campaign promises for the disenfranchised group he managed to mobilise to vote for him in the first place.
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
The country is definitely broken for sure, I see Trump as very much part of the problem
Well he has made himself part of it for sure, but in getting to this position all he did was vocalise and exploit the fears of a group people that have been previously been disenfranchised with politics because they already felt left behind. He is a master at asking a question that leaves all the accountability aside but easily communicates to his base (which, in large part is astro-turfed through lobbies, the Koch's, the NRA and the evangelical right). Trump is the ideal fall guy for all the assholes taking a piece out of the country right now, malleable enough to be influenced, corrupt enough to be compliant and he is a literal case for the dunning-kruger effect so he obliviously acts out his authority as though it is his own.
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Peg Leg wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:
Well he has made himself part of it for sure, but in getting to this position all he did was vocalise and exploit the fears of a group people that have been previously been disenfranchised with politics because they already felt left behind. He is a master at asking a question that leaves all the accountability aside but easily communicates to his base (which, in large part is astro-turfed through lobbies, the Koch's, the NRA and the evangelical right). Trump is the ideal fall guy for all the assholes taking a piece out of the country right now, malleable enough to be influenced, corrupt enough to be compliant and he is a literal case for the dunning-kruger effect so he obliviously acts out his authority as though it is his own.
I recently listened to the Podcast where Sam Harris interviewed Renée DiResta, (Director of Research at New Knowledge and Head of Policy at the nonprofit organization Data for Democracy). She laid out how Russia's Internet Research Agency had a huge impact on the 2016 election using targeted memes and facebook messaging to mobilise the right but more importantly to divide the left.

It was division that won the 2016 election for Trump, and he is very clearly going the same route again.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

TBH when Joe Biden became the Democratic nomination for 2020 I thought that he hadn't a ghost of a chance.
However.
https://www.businessinsider.com/why-joe ... men-2019-6
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Very broken indeed. I remember I used to pine for the land of my birth and formative years, this is no longer the case. I've been on to friends and family back there and there's so many disillusioned with the current POTUS.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

I don't think everything will revert to anything like a state of contentment when he's gone. His election was more a result of problems than a cause of problems.

More than worrying about him, I worry about the precedent he sets. If he can be elected President on the back of his celebrity status then anyone can. While he's monstrously narcissistic, inarticulate, insecure, petty and chaotic I don't think he's as purely malevolent as some do. But the next guy might as ill-intentioned and cynical as they come, and now the precedent has been set that there are no standards required to ascend to that office.

I don't think the Democrats are good opposition either though. You could maintain a very long thread documenting their faults. I think what America needs most is a credible third party, one that doesn't fill their opponents with a blinding rage and is committed more to their ideals than to winning the game at all costs.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Twist wrote:I don't think everything will revert to anything like a state of contentment when he's gone. His election was more a result of problems than a cause of problems.

More than worrying about him, I worry about the precedent he sets. If he can be elected President on the back of his celebrity status then anyone can. While he's monstrously narcissistic, inarticulate, insecure, petty and chaotic I don't think he's as purely malevolent as some do. But the next guy might as ill-intentioned and cynical as they come, and now the precedent has been set that there are no standards required to ascend to that office.

I don't think the Democrats are good opposition either though. You could maintain a very long thread documenting their faults. I think what America needs most is a credible third party, one that doesn't fill their opponents with a blinding rage and is committed more to their ideals than to winning the game at all costs.
he is totally malevolent though, the man would say literally anything if he thought it would win him a point.

The damage he has done to the office of President is huge, I don't know who the last President to teargas a peaceful protest in order to stage an awkward photo op with somebody else's bible was but that is the work of a wannabe despot.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Twist wrote:I don't think everything will revert to anything like a state of contentment when he's gone. His election was more a result of problems than a cause of problems.

They are a bit of a basket case imo, too divided, too proud, with millioms deserted by their politicians and services by a media that is either lying or trying to both-sides lies and hate speech. What they need is to really address white supremacy as a real issue that has divided the country since the civil war, they need a ban on super pacs, a ban on lobby contributions, they need to demilitarise the police, get some form of gun control and to reduce the power of the role of president (as well as new credible opposition, I could go on about civil forfeiture, misproportionate sentencing, worker rights etc).
Heard someone on a podcast make this comparison:
America hit by a pandemic and health staff are trying to react whilst having to reuse ppe.
America hit by protests over the murder of a man in broad daylight and the cops react fully loaded with their own armoured tanks, guns and gas grenades.
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:

he is totally malevolent though, the man would say literally anything if he thought it would win him a point.

The damage he has done to the office of President is huge, I don't know who the last President to teargas a peaceful protest in order to stage an awkward photo op with somebody else's bible was but that is the work of a wannabe despot.
He has also stopped the EPA from sharing its research since last year, pulled out of WHO funding, pulled troops from Kurdish Syria and left the 1000's turkish slaughter, pulled out of Iran nuclear deal, pulled out of paris accord, legitimised KJU, put Azar (the eli lilly ceo responsible for the excessive cost of insulin in the states) at the head of health, a coal lobbyist as acting EPA head, called nazis "great people", and coat the lives of thousands by calling cv19 a democratic hoax and delaying their response.
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

I do like how OS has done with this thread, is exactly what Trump does? Ask a question to start a divisive row and walk away?

"I heard there were murderers and rapists in the latest caravan, is that true, I don't know.
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Peg Leg wrote:I do like how OS has done with this thread, is exactly what Trump does? Ask a question to start a divisive row and walk away?

"I heard there were murderers and rapists in the latest caravan, is that true, I don't know.
I think everyone is on the same page tbh,

Apart from he who should be ignored of course
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:

I agree that he would, but I think his primary motivation is his own self-aggrandisement rather than, say, making life difficult for a particular race or rolling back gay rights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Twist wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:

I agree that he would, but I think his primary motivation is his own self-aggrandisement rather than, say, making life difficult for a particular race or rolling back gay rights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think he is trying to make life difficult for any race, but he is trying to loosen regulations to enrich a certain class and that exacerbates the oppression and inequality of the working class and underprivileged.
It's the system that is racist and that creates the unknowing racist populus out there trying to maintain certain norms that are wrongful.
Daniel Sullivan
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I didn't think anyone could still be on the fence on this one. He's an evil racist. Anyway, on what planet would it be better if he were a nihilist who was pretending to be racist.

He could have stayed off twitter, played golf and let some semi competent officials do the work. And stood a good chance of reelection. Instead he has achieved unbelievable feats of sabotage.