Corona Virus

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Re: Corona Virus

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

paddyor wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 5:39 pm
Oldschoolsocks wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 7:58 am it is too early into this variant to be making assumptions about how long the incubation period is or how long a person will only be infectious for or how much protection vaccination will offer or how many people this variant will make very sick.

Until these are established it is entirely appropriate to be risk averse.

The risk averse approach is to self isolate and book a PCR test if you have symptoms.

everything else is just noise
I had to go back and check there to make sure this had nothing to do with OMicron and it doesn't. We'd have the exact same attitude Omicron or not. Take this time this last year. Rejected antigen tests in favour of telling people to limit social interactions and advising a limit on household gatherings. How did that go? And it seems we're doing the same this year with some daft unenforceable 4 household limit. He could be telling people to use antigen tests whenever they intend to meet but he's more worried it will interfere with messaging eleswhere.

As to the Omicron variant. You're correct we don't much about it(though what we do know is that all cases appear to be mild so far) as you say it's all just a fart noise.
not quite what I said Paddy. If I remember correctly the tweet in question was specifically about people showing symptoms of Covid 19 and that they should book a PCR test not an antigen test. The advice on the use of antigen tests has not changed and antigen testing has not been rejected.

the guidance on gov.ie advises the appropriate use of antigen tests https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/a83 ... y-messages
3. In every situation, reduce your risk of catching / transmitting COVID-19 over the coming weeks by:
  • prioritising close friends and family and being conscious of vulnerable people (including yourself) in your circle
  • meeting outdoors where possible and opening windows and doors to let fresh air in if meeting indoors
  • wearing a mask, keeping your distance and cleaning your hands frequently
  • using antigen tests appropriately
Enforcing the number of people in a household has always been unenforceable because we do not live in a police state.

With some luck, this will be a mild variant that will make nobody very sick and might just sweep around the globe and grant immunity to infection from any more variants, but as we both agree that remains to be seen.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

paddyor wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 6:30 pm https://twitter.com/JamesSurowiecki/sta ... 01354?s=20

That is worrying
If accurate and tbh that's a big if?

The last time a variant "came" from SA it was over blown, based on inaccurate information and never materialized in any meaningful way.
Worse the SA used said dodgy to sell off their stocks of AZ and subsequently admitted that, that was a mistake.
Really????
One of the main tools that NPHET has used to contain COVID has been to lockdown schools and thus the parents with school going children.
To date if we are to believe the "science".
Children get COVID from adults (parents principly?).
Children don't give it to each other by and large or to adults. Children also don't have severe reactions to COVID infection.
What is being said about Omicron could be true but what if isn't who's going to get a good kicking for making all the claims that are being made.
Who's checking the "science" coming from SA.
Are the same people or institutions responsible for the last SA variant scare involved in this one.
I don't know but I'd like to know.
Last edited by Oldschool on December 3rd, 2021, 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

paddyor wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 5:40 pm
Oldschool wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 9:29 am If I thought I had COVID I wouldn't get a test, I'd simply self isolate for 10 days.
The only reasons I can think of for having a test are-
A. I was feeling unwell.
B. I hadn't been vaccinated.
C. I had plans to travel within the next six months.

Otherwise what's the point, you're just a statistic.
Please add to the list above if you think it's appropriate.
It's a notifiable disease, you're legally obliged to inform the authorities.
A welcome and timely reminder to us all.
Anyway let's all chill for now and enjoy the match this evening in the RDS
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Multiple cases in my youngest child's primary school, from WhatsApp chats it looks like a lot of parents are doing antigen tests on a Friday before visiting more elderly relatives and on a Monday morning before sending kids back to school (we tend to test on a Friday or Saturday if we're going to ask one of our parents over). Kids or parents who test +ve then get a PCR test and if that's +ve we get an email letting us know there's been a case and whether or not it's in our child's pod.

I have to admit, it has seemed to go from 0 to 60 pretty quick and I'm now convinced it's inevitable that it's gonna run through the house at some stage.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

https://twitter.com/RiochtConor2/status ... 80964?s=20

CFR of .22%. This would increase to .29% if everyone currently in ICU died but IIRC the survival rate for ICU is like +70%

Vaccines work!
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: December 7th, 2021, 12:17 am Multiple cases in my youngest child's primary school, from WhatsApp chats it looks like a lot of parents are doing antigen tests on a Friday before visiting more elderly relatives and on a Monday morning before sending kids back to school (we tend to test on a Friday or Saturday if we're going to ask one of our parents over). Kids or parents who test +ve then get a PCR test and if that's +ve we get an email letting us know there's been a case and whether or not it's in our child's pod.

I have to admit, it has seemed to go from 0 to 60 pretty quick and I'm now convinced it's inevitable that it's gonna run through the house at some stage.
This is the fear, it's like playing pass the parcel with a hand grenade :(
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Does anybody else consider it very strange that there is no process of updating the electronic Covid Pass with proof of Booster jab, given that Government are now trying to implement "an emergency programme" to vaccinate everybody over 30 by the end of the month?
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Ruckedtobits wrote: December 13th, 2021, 8:04 am Does anybody else consider it very strange that there is no process of updating the electronic Covid Pass with proof of Booster jab, given that Government are now trying to implement "an emergency programme" to vaccinate everybody over 30 by the end of the month?
given that they have made an absolute bollix of the booster dose rollout, I wouldn't find it strange at all...
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Does anybody else consider it very strange that there is no process of updating the electronic Covid Pass with proof of Booster jab, given that Government are now trying to implement "an emergency programme" to vaccinate everybody over 30 by the end of the month?
It's an EU wide format that has to be updated to accommodate the booster. They are currently debating about putting an expiry into it so that it you don't get a booster within x months (currently looks like 9) then it will no longer be valid. I think they are looking to publish by Feb.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Got the booster yesterday evening, like a lot of people I had Moderna on top of two Pfizer's.
Absolutely wrecked today but never noticed anything with the other two. Saying that, the wine and the late night probably wasn't a good idea..... :|
Dont Panic!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: December 13th, 2021, 8:33 am
Ruckedtobits wrote: December 13th, 2021, 8:04 am Does anybody else consider it very strange that there is no process of updating the electronic Covid Pass with proof of Booster jab, given that Government are now trying to implement "an emergency programme" to vaccinate everybody over 30 by the end of the month?
given that they have made an absolute bollix of the booster dose rollout, I wouldn't find it strange at all...
Not that I'd be an apologist for the HSE but both myself and Mrs School had an almost flawless experience getting our boosters.
The biggest issue seems to be the handling of the "walk ins". An amazing underestimation of demand.

What all this highlights is the absolute stone age (I know, I know there were no computers back then) IT system in the HSE
That fact is neither acknowledged and more worrying may not even be properly on the radar.
There is no central medical register for the whole population.
Piecemeal is a kind description, non existent would be more accurate.
Could cost a billion to set up and it's not even part of Slaintecare - What does that tell you?
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Those travel restrictions worked a treat.

https://twitter.com/jpweiland/status/14 ... 79971?s=21
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

No. It’s the HSE. They pretty much packed up the vaccine program when they were due to be doing boosters. Now I see they’ve decided to cut the gap to 3 months.

So, is the expectation that we will get boosters in perpetuity? Like every 3-6 months?
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

paddyor wrote: December 13th, 2021, 10:36 pm
No. It’s the HSE. They pretty much packed up the vaccine program when they were due to be doing boosters. Now I see they’ve decided to cut the gap to 3 months.

So, is the expectation that we will get boosters in perpetuity? Like every 3-6 months?
Just for clarification.
Am I correct in saying NIAC are DOH not HSE.
Am I also correct in saying NPHET are also DOH not HSE
IF I'm correct on either or both then I actually feel sorry for the HSE.
Both organs are quite capable of saying one week that the vaccination process can be wound down and the next week saying that we need to be doubling vaccination vaccination capacity.
I've also no doubt that resources are being wasted on T&T that could be diverted to the vaccination program.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

paddyor wrote: December 13th, 2021, 10:36 pm

Maybe, I’m sure we’ll know in 3 or 6 months
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

paddyor wrote:Those travel restrictions worked a treat.

If they delayed that upward curve by x number of days, then yes they did.

heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

paddyor wrote:

My understanding is the expert opinion/hope is we could be looking at boosters every 6 months for maybe 2 to 5 years with the groups being asked to get the booster being more and more just the most vulnerable as time goes on.
So eventually it will be either like the flu vaccine for the old and vulnerable, or we will have a 10 year vaccine for the general populace.
But it is too early to be sure about any of this.

paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

heno wrote: December 14th, 2021, 2:50 pm
paddyor wrote:Those travel restrictions worked a treat.

If they delayed that upward curve by x number of days, then yes they did.

If it takes 2 weeks for restrictions to work then they didn't make a blind bit of difference.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

heno wrote: December 14th, 2021, 2:56 pm
paddyor wrote:

My understanding is the expert opinion/hope is we could be looking at boosters every 6 months for maybe 2 to 5 years with the groups being asked to get the booster being more and more just the most vulnerable as time goes on.
So eventually it will be either like the flu vaccine for the old and vulnerable, or we will have a 10 year vaccine for the general populace.
But it is too early to be sure about any of this.

My impression is they're making it up as they go.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles