Corona Virus

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Corona Virus

Post by Ruckedtobits »

As we watch the roll-out of the PhIzer vaccine in the UK today, it's worth noted the relative ranking of some European countries in cases per 100,000: (higher to lower)

Portugal, Sweden, Italy, Wales, Northen Ire, Spain, England, France, Norway and Ireland.

NPHET have been subject to criticism in some media but few countries in Europe are looking towards the Christmas period in a better place. It is fascinating to see the Swedish and Portuguese number of cases exceeding those of countries like Spain, England and France as both of these countries adopted a more laissez faire attitude towards Covid-19.

For us, the biggest risk is the figures in N Ireland. It is impossible to ignore that we are an island
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

NPHET - It still took until the 1st December before NPHET wore masks at their press conferences.
That's worthy of a LOT of criticism.
They also failed to use the data available to them to provide better and more detailed advice to the government.
A simple example - closing golf courses, how did that work exactly.
They also failed to use the opportunity provided by the first lockdown to test what the data was telling them.
Simply put NPHET started with a lockdown mindset and never moved on.
Most worryingly they failed to acknowledge that a medical pandemic requires more than a medical response.
It's called asking for help from other disciplines.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Peg Leg wrote: February 25th, 2020, 10:21 pm From WHO

Worth the 5 mins https://youtu.be/mOV1aBVYKGA
The OP 25th Feb.
First vaccine administered today. That's pretty cool.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I think that by 25th of February a couple of the vaccines were already formulated. Gene sequencing was published on 11th January. Testing was ultra quick.
And the first non trial vaccines were administered long before today. If the spread of this disease has taught us nothing but the fact that the world is not just the west/north.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

fourthirtythree wrote: December 8th, 2020, 9:52 pm I think that by 25th of February a couple of the vaccines were already formulated. Gene sequencing was published on 11th January. Testing was ultra quick.
And the first non trial vaccines were administered long before today. If the spread of this disease has taught us nothing but the fact that the world is not just the west/north.
Wahey for non-trial vaccines!
The OP being Feb 25th is indicative of the local reality as is my last.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

New strain is mostly bullsh!t imho.
Viruses, in general, become much more active or infectious as temperatures drop, hence the well known flu season.
COVID is no different.
It's no coincidence that case numbers are higher.
Throw in the carry on over Christmas and we are now where we are.
Lets blame the new strain instead of calling people out on their poor behaviour so that they can say.
"It's not me, did you not here the CMO saying how concerned he is that the new strain is etc."
Anyway, it's f^ckin cold and icy out there and COVID likes working in the cold.
Watch your step.
Last edited by Oldschool on January 12th, 2021, 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Blueberry
Mullet

Re: Heineken Cup 2020/21

Post by Blueberry »

Oldschool wrote: January 9th, 2021, 2:30 pm New strain is mostly bullsh!t imho.
Viruses, in general, become much more active or infectious as temperatures drop, hence the well known flu season.
COVID is no different.
Lets blame the new strain instead of calling people out on their poor behaviour so that they can say.
"It's not me, did you not here the CMO saying how concerned he is that the new strain is etc."
Watch your step.
Well it would be a remarkable and unique respiratory virus if it didn't peak over winter months........but new killer strain sounds much more scary in a newspaper headline......SA strain will stoke it up a bit more......

Anyway HCUP off the agenda atm so let's hope they can refix Leinster v The Harlem Globetrotters so we have something on the box other than George Lee to watch.....
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

COVID is no different.
Watch your step.
Are you a professor of science or medical illnesses? The new strain is completely different to the old one. Its affecting more people and younger, healthier people at that. The original strain wasnt as transmisable than this one. People need to wake the fcuk up and take this seriously. We all know people who have lost loved ones through this disease and saying the new strain is the same as the old one is nonsense.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

I hope the moderators will be vigilant against posts linking the themes of cheese - surrender & monkeys to any aspect of the discussions around the Champs Cup & 6N.

Je ne regrette rien!
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

carlow man wrote: January 11th, 2021, 6:33 pm
COVID is no different.
Watch your step.
Are you a professor of science or medical illnesses? The new strain is completely different to the old one. Its affecting more people and younger, healthier people at that. The original strain wasnt as transmisable than this one. People need to wake the fcuk up and take this seriously. We all know people who have lost loved ones through this disease and saying the new strain is the same as the old one is nonsense.
:happy clapper:

There is no scope for being glib around the situation we are in and our descent, from the intensive care perspective, is unfortunately still far from the bottom of the hill we (seriously ill patients and healthcare workers) have to journey to.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Yep.

Hard to take someone seriously spewing nonsense like the below.

Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

COVID is no different.
Watch your step.
In fairness I think Oldschool is perfectly entitled to express an opinion that perhaps seasonal factors which affect every respiratory virus may be a factor at play here as well. Perhaps not using the b*llshit word may have helped but there is logic in his post. My understanding is the principal reason behind this seasonality is increased time inside, less ventilation and reduced humidity in the winter air which allow higher virus transmission. It certainly makes logical sense that these factors are also increasing Covid transmission, new strain or not. Other factors including reduced seasonal Vitamin D levels may also contribute to people's susceptibility to virus infection in winter. How much or which factor is largely at play here I don't know, you don't know and dare I suggest the scientists don't really know either, there are just too many moving parts to this. I think the public health message is unaltered in recent days regardless of how we got here. You don't need to be a professor of science or medical illness to express a logical or coherent discussion on any subject.

Just perhaps suggesting that a healthy 'calming down' of the extremes of Covid discussion could benefit everyone generally. Don't think anyone is in a great place at the moment so let's agree to settle down a bit.

Anyway park that and suggest we quickly divert away from Covid discussion as it's a poisoned chalice and stick to the rugby. I won't mention Covid again......

Bloody pain in the rear that the HCUP has been postponed but can't say I am surprised.

Worries now of course about the viability of getting this finished at all (last year entirely different of course as the qtr final were already set) and of course the financial impact on the game in Ireland. Worrying times.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

wixfjord wrote: January 11th, 2021, 7:10 pm

Yep.

There's a lot of hysteria around it though.

3 times more healthy under 60s died from road accidents in the UK than from covid, last year. There were 388 deaths of healthy under 60s from covid.
God knows how many people took their own lives because of the restrictions.

I predict that once they get enough old folk vaccinated then things will quickly get back to normal but the economy will take years to recover.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

dropkick wrote: There were 388 deaths of healthy under 60s from covid. .
That's a false interpretation of data being put out by the likes of Hartley-Brewer

That number is derived by excluding anyone with any other condition... Irrespective of whether that condition had an impact on expected death. Therefore a 30 year old with manageable diabetes who died of covid is excluded from this count. Even if they would have expected to live for decades. The definition of "underlying conditions" covers something like 70% of the population including depression, weight, diabetes, arthritis etc

It's a nasty twisting of stats.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Yep.

Pity you didn't include all my post.
But then exactly what I'd expect from you.
Last edited by Oldschool on January 12th, 2021, 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

COVID is no different.
Watch your step.
Well about the best answer I can give you to that question is that I was wearing a mask when the CMO and WHO were saying not to.
I was right they were wrong.
But then as an engineer I did have a professional advantage over them so perhaps I shouldn't crow too much.
Last edited by Oldschool on January 12th, 2021, 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Blueberry wrote: January 11th, 2021, 7:31 pm
COVID is no different.
Watch your step.
In fairness I think Oldschool is perfectly entitled to express an opinion that perhaps seasonal factors which affect every respiratory virus may be a factor at play here as well. Perhaps not using the b*llshit word may have helped but there is logic in his post. My understanding is the principal reason behind this seasonality is increased time inside, less ventilation and reduced humidity in the winter air which allow higher virus transmission. It certainly makes logical sense that these factors are also increasing Covid transmission, new strain or not. Other factors including reduced seasonal Vitamin D levels may also contribute to people's susceptibility to virus infection in winter. How much or which factor is largely at play here I don't know, you don't know and dare I suggest the scientists don't really know either, there are just too many moving parts to this. I think the public health message is unaltered in recent days regardless of how we got here. You don't need to be a professor of science or medical illness to express a logical or coherent discussion on any subject.

Just perhaps suggesting that a healthy 'calming down' of the extremes of Covid discussion could benefit everyone generally. Don't think anyone is in a great place at the moment so let's agree to settle down a bit.

Anyway park that and suggest we quickly divert away from Covid discussion as it's a poisoned chalice and stick to the rugby. I won't mention Covid again......

Bloody pain in the rear that the HCUP has been postponed but can't say I am surprised.

Worries now of course about the viability of getting this finished at all (last year entirely different of course as the qtr final were already set) and of course the financial impact on the game in Ireland. Worrying times.
The only reason OS is shiteing on about COVID is because his favourite fascist wannabe dictator got his fat orange arse kicked at the polls. I’m convinced he has a kekistan flag flying somewhere in his back yard for the larps “edgy”

Keep safe everyone
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

COVID is no different.
Watch your step.

The only reason OS is shiteing on about COVID is because his favourite fascist wannabe dictator got his fat orange arse kicked at the polls. I’m convinced he has a kekistan flag flying somewhere in his back yard for the larps “edgy”

Keep safe everyone
SaS
Bookworm

Post by SaS »

dropkick wrote: January 11th, 2021, 8:19 pm

Yep.

There's a lot of hysteria around it though.

3 times more healthy under 60s died from road accidents in the UK than from covid, last year. There were 388 deaths of healthy under 60s from covid.
God knows how many people took their own lives because of the restrictions.

I predict that once they get enough old folk vaccinated then things will quickly get back to normal but the economy will take years to recover.
UK road death figures will not be released until 28 January. Even then, the figures go from June to June each year so there is no correlation to Covid-19 related deaths from February 2020 until now. See: https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... -june-2020 More UK stats comparing Covid-19 deaths to flu/pneumonia: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... august2020. The UK are very good at collecting stats, just need to ferret them out.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: January 11th, 2021, 10:42 pm

Keep safe everyone
Stick with the day job.
You're not cutting it as a comedian.
BTW I thought you were going to put me on your ignore list. It's still not too late for a new year's resolution.