Corona Virus

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Corona Virus

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Listening to people in every media source complaining about the lack of a "road plan" to re-enter normal life, causes me great annoyance and frustration. The vast majority of prognostications from every official source come with the caveat "subject to the continued level of incidence of new cases of Covid19....."

That is the most basic reason why no member of NPHET or the Government can outline a schedule for the resumption of any particular activity. Thus far, the only activity that both Government and NPHET are ad idem must be resumed, is education. Nothing else, other than essential services, will recommence, but will remain subject to the reduction in new case numbers and thus transmission of the virus.

Surely this is evident to everybody by now?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

English Deputy CMO Jonathan Van-Tam did a Q&A on Sky News from 9am to 9:30am.
Well worth a listen.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote: February 24th, 2021, 8:57 am Listening to people in every media source complaining about the lack of a "road plan" to re-enter normal life, causes me great annoyance and frustration. The vast majority of prognostications from every official source come with the caveat "subject to the continued level of incidence of new cases of Covid19....."

That is the most basic reason why no member of NPHET or the Government can outline a schedule for the resumption of any particular activity. Thus far, the only activity that both Government and NPHET are ad idem must be resumed, is education. Nothing else, other than essential services, will recommence, but will remain subject to the reduction in new case numbers and thus transmission of the virus.

+1 There's none so blind that don't want to see.
The one good plus that seems evident in the phased lifting of restrictions is the two week gap between steps.
This should have been the approach back in May and ever since. Why it wasn't I find both unbelievable and very frustrating.
The medical profession have done what they are good at very well but have been absolutely appalling in how to manage a pandemic and have made it very difficult for the government to do it's job too - exhibit A - masks make no difference.
Even the advice on mandatory quarantine shows more of the sledgehammer approach rather than a thought out strategy. I'm not a legal eagle but the elephant in the room on that one has to be that freedom of travel amendment that we voted into our Constitution a few decades ago, not to mention the EU travel agreement that caused Italy (and the rest of Europe) so much trouble early on, borders had to stay open.

The media in particular are not doing their job.
Suppy of vaccines is the main limiting factor on the pace of the rollout.
To hear the media and government opposition you'd think supply had nothing to do with it.
Even the UK are starting to experience supply problems.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Ruckedtobits wrote: February 24th, 2021, 8:57 am Listening to people in every media source complaining about the lack of a "road plan" to re-enter normal life, causes me great annoyance and frustration. The vast majority of prognostications from every official source come with the caveat "subject to the continued level of incidence of new cases of Covid19....."

'zactly.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Are the EU right to stop COVID AZ vaccine exports?
There might be a few ifs that we don't know about but assume that contractually the exports should be allowed notwithstanding the EU's own contractual arrangements.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Oldschool wrote: March 5th, 2021, 9:17 am Are the EU right to stop COVID AZ vaccine exports?
There might be a few ifs that we don't know about but assume that contractually the exports should be allowed notwithstanding the EU's own contractual arrangements.
I thought it was the Italians that were preventing the export of vaccines from their territory. AZ should of course honour their contractual obligations - they can always supply Australia from their non-Italian plants.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

domhnallj wrote: March 5th, 2021, 2:35 pm
Oldschool wrote: March 5th, 2021, 9:17 am Are the EU right to stop COVID AZ vaccine exports?
I thought it was the Italians that were preventing the export of vaccines from their territory. AZ should of course honour their contractual obligations - they can always supply Australia from their non-Italian plants.
Obviously they can't meet all their contractual obligations or they would be meeting them.
So my question still stands.
Are the Italians (or the EU) right to stop the export/s.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Didn’t the Italians block the export of oxygen hoods to Ireland during the summer https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishti ... 3fmode=amp

They certainly have form
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Oldschool wrote:
Obviously they can't meet all their contractual obligations or they would be meeting them.
So my question still stands.
Are the Italians (or the EU) right to stop the export/s.
AZ took orders and are now reneging on these. They should be held to account by the States now suffering shortfalls.

The Italian rollout is (I believe) taking place with stereotypical levels of disorganisation. The State is procuring doses which go unused because the regions are running out of delivery systems (syringes and vials). Whether they should be denying export under these circumstances is the question.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
Didn’t the Italians block the export of oxygen hoods to Ireland during the summer https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishti ... 3fmode=amp

They certainly have form
Not sure I blame them. Upwards of a 1000 citizens were dying per day - what would we have done in such an emergency situation? MM would probably have commissioned a report but I imagine LV would have stopped export.

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad.
The Beacon Hospital incident is crazy.
Crazy it happened and how it happened, crazy over reaction.
Get on with the vaccination program, accept that there will be the odd glitch and stop the bickering.
Above all else STOP turning every minor little incident into a political football..
While I'm at it I'm sick of people telling me they're angry and other people telling me that other people are angry.
Grow up, get in line, wait your turn and stop moaning.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Oldschool wrote: March 27th, 2021, 4:28 pm Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad.
Get on with the vaccination program, accept that there will be the odd glitch and stop the bickering.
Above all else STOP turning every minor little incident into a political football..
While I'm at it I'm sick of people telling me they're angry and other people telling me that other people are angry.
Ah no OS, they were given a position of trust and the CEO abused his power for personal gain. f%~k'm if you can't trust'm.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Peg Leg wrote: March 27th, 2021, 9:51 pm
Oldschool wrote: March 27th, 2021, 4:28 pm Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad.
Ah no OS, they were given a position of trust and the CEO abused his power for personal gain. f%~k'm if you can't trust'm.
So why didn't they announce the cancellation of their treatment purchase arrangements with the Beacon if they don't trust them.
And why didn't the opposition parties not call for that to happen.
It's called having your cake and eating.
Just to make it quite clear again.
I'm not defending what the Beacon did, I'm simply saying that the reaction was way over the top.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Oldschool wrote: March 28th, 2021, 9:25 am
So why didn't they announce the cancellation of their treatment purchase arrangements with the Beacon if they don't trust them.
I'm not defending what the Beacon did, I'm simply saying that the reaction was way over the top.
I know you're not defending them and I understand the logic of what you're saying. It is somewhat cutting off your nose to spite your face as it will impact the already universally decried vaccine roll out. From my perspective, businesses and ceo's should be dealt with harshly and swiftly if they abuse the trust of the public for personal gain, no grey area.
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Peg Leg wrote: March 28th, 2021, 12:34 pm
I know you're not defending them and I understand the logic of what you're saying. It is somewhat cutting off your nose to spite your face as it will impact the already universally decried vaccine roll out. From my perspective, businesses and ceo's should be dealt with harshly and swiftly if they abuse the trust of the public for personal gain, no grey area.
I've heard the personal gain line put out there.
What is that about?
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Oldschool wrote: March 28th, 2021, 1:29 pm
Peg Leg wrote: March 28th, 2021, 12:34 pm
I've heard the personal gain line put out there.
What is that about?
It's the school his kids attend
Daniel Sullivan
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

I find the outrage at the CEO of the Beacon giving spare vaccines to school teachers fascinating - where was all this outrage when the Master of the Coombe gave their excess vaccines to staff’s family members - including his own two sons!
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Xanthippe wrote: March 28th, 2021, 3:29 pm I find the outrage at the CEO of the Beacon giving spare vaccines to school teachers fascinating - where was all this outrage when the Master of the Coombe gave their excess vaccines to staff’s family members - including his own two sons!
Excess is a hilarious term there. The hse (as competent as they are) should have a process in place for ensuring over subscription for the numbers of vaccines so this doesn't occur. If the vaccines were due to expire someone has f%~ked up and yes it makes sense to use the remainder rather than waste it. It is not correct that one person uses them for personal or political gain or other. So there is a failure at two levels there and both should be reprimanded. I've not been dipping into the news very often for the past few weeks and wasn't aware of the Coombe incident tbh, but the CEO should go.
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Peg Leg wrote: March 28th, 2021, 4:08 pm
Xanthippe wrote: March 28th, 2021, 3:29 pm I find the outrage at the CEO of the Beacon giving spare vaccines to school teachers fascinating - where was all this outrage when the Master of the Coombe gave their excess vaccines to staff’s family members - including his own two sons!
Excess is a hilarious term there. The hse (as competent as they are) should have a process in place for ensuring over subscription for the numbers of vaccines so this doesn't occur. If the vaccines were due to expire someone has f%~ked up and yes it makes sense to use the remainder rather than waste it. It is not correct that one person uses them for personal or political gain or other. So there is a failure at two levels there and both should be reprimanded. I've not been dipping into the news very often for the past few weeks and wasn't aware of the Coombe incident tbh, but the CEO should go.
I'd say that depends on the smaller print in the CEO's contract and the answers not just to the questions listed below but supplementaries arising.
What we don't have are all the facts only some of them.
We know that there was a large double booking, these things happen even the best laid plans etc(the master of the ship stuck in the Suez would say Amen to that assuming that expression fits his religion)
We don't know when this was discovered because that impacts on how much time there is available to deal with the problem.
We don't know when the Beacon actually took delivery of the jabs.
We don't know if the CEO was administering jabs.
We don't know why the jabs went to the Beacon and not a different location.
We don't know at what time of the day did the Beacon realize that they had an "extra" 20 ,jabs.
Was there a miscount for example or were they getting 7 jabs instead of 6 from some of the phials.

The HSE and the Minister want this to go away asap and for not too many questions to be asked, I suspect.

There are a lot of "don't knows".

The Beacon vaccine program has been suspended only so all is not lost and it's a fair bet that everyone wants a resolution including most importantly of all, us, the jabbees.
Roll it there Collette
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Peg Leg wrote: March 28th, 2021, 4:08 pm
Many of the vaccines have a limited shelf life once they reach their deployment point and once prepared for injection. If a patient doesn't turn up on the day, the vaccine may be wasted. This is the case of how many people in the UK who have volunteered at the centres have gotten jabs despite not being eligible.
Anyone But New Zealand