Corona Virus

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Re: Corona Virus

Post by RoboProp »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 12:28 am
ronk wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 12:23 am So if you rapid test everyone at the RDS or a nightclub for a game you'll catch over half the people with Covid. i.e. less effective than masks, more useful than nothing.

It would make sense for indoor meals, to slow down outbreaks in schools and a few other scenarios like contacts of vulnerable people.

If you have symptoms it'll give you early warning while you isolate for peace of mind. But if you have a 1/3 chance of having Covid (a false negative anyway) you should isolate, of course.

There's lots of testing and the positive rate is still 14.2%, it's everywhere.
yup, I think (emphasis on think) that official policy does not translate well to the character restriction on twitter. IF you have symptoms get a PCR test but don't rely on an antigen test which is how I read that tweet that me and Paddy (Paddy and I ?) are chatting about.

in general I don't think twitter is a place to decide on public policy...
It worked for 45 up to a point (sadly)
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

RoboProp wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 12:00 pm
Oldschoolsocks wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 12:28 am
ronk wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 12:23 am So if you rapid test everyone at the RDS or a nightclub for a game you'll catch over half the people with Covid. i.e. less effective than masks, more useful than nothing.

It would make sense for indoor meals, to slow down outbreaks in schools and a few other scenarios like contacts of vulnerable people.

If you have symptoms it'll give you early warning while you isolate for peace of mind. But if you have a 1/3 chance of having Covid (a false negative anyway) you should isolate, of course.

There's lots of testing and the positive rate is still 14.2%, it's everywhere.
yup, I think (emphasis on think) that official policy does not translate well to the character restriction on twitter. IF you have symptoms get a PCR test but don't rely on an antigen test which is how I read that tweet that me and Paddy (Paddy and I ?) are chatting about.

in general I don't think twitter is a place to decide on public policy...
It worked for 45 up to a point (sadly)
'zactly, not the ideal governance model to follow :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 11:49 am
Oldschool wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 9:29 am If I thought I had COVID I wouldn't get a test, I'd simply self isolate for 10 days.
The only reasons I can think of for having a test are-
A. I was feeling unwell.
B. I hadn't been vaccinated.
C. I had plans to travel within the next six months.

Otherwise what's the point, you're just a statistic.
Please add to the list above if you think it's appropriate.
Having Covid would also be valuable information for deciding on medical care if you were sick.

Contact tracing too.

So if you care about yourself, your circle of contacts and having society able to make decisions based on good data then you should get tested.
T&T is rubbish so why would I support it.
Hotel isolation ignored the reality of the border.
Both sides of the political divided stand indicted on both of the above issues.
Testing only seems to be used to establish the current level of cases. There has been little evidence that it has been used for anything else.
The proof of the pudding is in the eating.
I haven't got COVID to date (verified up to about 2weeks ago btw) and as a result noone has got it from me ergo surprise surprise I care about myself and etc and as a result I wear a mask whenever I'm out, I avoid "dangerous"activities.
In essence I minimise my exposure to risk.
Society has been disempowered from making informed decisions because they haven't been given anything close to enough information.
The only useful information available (in Ireland) are the hospital numbers and maybe the LEA numbers.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Oldschool wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 2:18 pm
Oldschool wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 9:29 am If I thought I had COVID I wouldn't get a test, I'd simply self isolate for 10 days.
A. I was feeling unwell.

Having Covid would also be valuable information for deciding on medical care if you were sick.

Contact tracing too.

So if you care about yourself, your circle of contacts and having society able to make decisions based on good data then you should get tested.
Testing only seems to be used to establish the current level of cases. There has been little evidence that it has been used for anything else.
I haven't got COVID to date (verified up to about 2weeks ago btw) and as a result noone has got it from me ergo surprise surprise I care about myself and etc and as a result I wear a mask whenever I'm out, I avoid "dangerous"activities.
Society has been disempowered from making informed decisions because they haven't been given anything close to enough information.
The only useful information available (in Ireland) are the hospital numbers and maybe the LEA numbers.
How did you verify that you hadn’t got COVID to date?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Oldschool wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 2:18 pm ]
So if you got sick, you'd isolate but wouldn't get tested so you could confirm to anyone you'd been in contact with.

If you're that person, you're a long way off the moral high ground.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 2:24 pm

Contact tracing too.

There are a number of certified ways of doing it, I used one of them, I used the science available.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 3:21 pm
Oldschool wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 2:18 pm ]
So if you got sick, you'd isolate but wouldn't get tested so you could confirm to anyone you'd been in contact with.

If you're that person, you're a long way off the moral high ground.
Your interpretation not mine and you are way off the mark, Blow it up your own if you want.
As I said T&T is rubbish.
If you think it's protecting you and you therefore rely on it then you are putting yourself and the people you care about in danger.
I'm not interested in moral high ground, I'm interested in protecting me and mine which I indicated in my post if you bothered to read it rather than interpret part of it to suit whatever morally high agenda you have.
BTW why would you assume that I wouldn't tell people I was isolating?
Last edited by Oldschool on December 3rd, 2021, 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Oldschool wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 3:22 pm
There are a number of certified ways of doing it, I used one of them, I used the science available.
Ah OK, which one of the number of certified ways of doing it did you use?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 3:30 pm
Why would you need or want to know that.
Because I'm not going to tell you anyway, it's none of your business.
However concentrate on the word certified and add in officially if it makes you feel any better.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Oldschool wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 3:34 pm
Well if there’s a way to find out without getting tested with a swab up my nose I’d like to know.

Well done on remaining safe either way - you are a shining example for the rest of us
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 3:37 pm
Well if there’s a way to find out without getting tested with a swab up my nose I’d like to know.

Well done on remaining safe either way - you are a shining example for the rest of us
A compliment, jaysus the end of the world must be nigh.
Although I did note a touch of irony so maybe the existential event isn't so nigh.
Keep wearing those masks, this is an airborne virus.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Oldschool wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 3:48 pm

Although I did note a touch of irony so maybe the existential event isn't so nigh.
C’mon Oldschool, help a brother out here. I can only find tests that involve a swab up the nose when I ask google. Is there a different test we could be taking? What is it?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 4:07 pm

C’mon Oldschool, help a brother out here. I can only find tests that involve a swab up the nose when I ask google. Is there a different test we could be taking? What is it?
Ask yourself what does your body's immune system generate when it's exposed to a virus.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Oldschool wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 5:18 pm
Ask yourself what does your body's immune system generate when it's exposed to a virus.
no, I'm asking you did you get tested with a swab up your nose
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 5:20 pm
Oldschool wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 5:18 pm

no, I'm asking you did you get tested with a swab up your nose
was it an antibody test?
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 7:58 am it is too early into this variant to be making assumptions about how long the incubation period is or how long a person will only be infectious for or how much protection vaccination will offer or how many people this variant will make very sick.

Until these are established it is entirely appropriate to be risk averse.

The risk averse approach is to self isolate and book a PCR test if you have symptoms.

everything else is just noise
I had to go back and check there to make sure this had nothing to do with OMicron and it doesn't. We'd have the exact same attitude Omicron or not. Take this time this last year. Rejected antigen tests in favour of telling people to limit social interactions and advising a limit on household gatherings. How did that go? And it seems we're doing the same this year with some daft unenforceable 4 household limit. He could be telling people to use antigen tests whenever they intend to meet but he's more worried it will interfere with messaging eleswhere.

As to the Omicron variant. You're correct we don't much about it(though what we do know is that all cases appear to be mild so far) as you say it's all just a fart noise.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

A. I was feeling unwell.

It's a notifiable disease, you're legally obliged to inform the authorities.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

RoboProp wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 12:00 pm It worked for 45 up to a point (sadly)
Tbf to Big Orange, he had little control of how the states dealt with COVID. He was widely criticised for his border restrictions when he moved first to implement them9not a peep about Biden who kept them long after they were needed. In the things he could do at the federal level like the CARES act and operation warp speed he excelled and they were vastly superior to anything anyone in the EU did to combat covid and the economic fallout. His twitter timeline was hot garbage but as with the rest of his presidency it was all just an exercise in publicity. The EU commisions idea for "warpspeed" was everyone band together for a volume discount which lead to an oversupply in a lot of countries that didn't need them who would then sell and ship them on to countries that did want them.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

https://twitter.com/DublinCommuters/sta ... 55972?s=20

Masks work so well the place with the highest adherence will have capacity cut by 50%.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

paddyor wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 5:58 pm https://twitter.com/DublinCommuters/sta ... 55972?s=20

Masks work so well the place with the highest adherence will have capacity cut by 50%.
That's the sort of joined up thinking COVID needs in order to thrive.
Last edited by Oldschool on December 3rd, 2021, 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.