Corona Virus

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Corona Virus

Post by Oldschool »

Logorrhea wrote:
Oldschool wrote:Our own authorities started off on the wrong foot by refusing initially to state the gender of the NI case.
It's not important to know what the gender is but it's one of the first things that comes to mind.
ffs man. use your head for a second would you.
You know you have neither the right, nor the need to know. So why raise it and why use it to question the governments approach to what is an impossible task.

Wait for them to actually f*ck up before undermining them and going after them.
I never said I had any right to know, it's not the point.
Need to know is different.
Need as in survival, no but there are other needs as simple as inclusivity. We are or could be all in this together.
I was questioning the government's approach to communication, nothing else.
I don't want them to f^ck up, believe me.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Oldschool wrote:
Logorrhea wrote:
Oldschool wrote:Our own authorities started off on the wrong foot by refusing initially to state the gender of the NI case.
It's not important to know what the gender is but it's one of the first things that comes to mind.
You know you have neither the right, nor the need to know. So why raise it and why use it to question the governments approach to what is an impossible task.

I never said I had any right to know, it's not the point.
Need to know is different.
Need as in survival, no but there are other needs as simple as inclusivity. We are or could be all in this together.
I was questioning the government's approach to communication, nothing else.
I don't want them to f^ck up, believe me.
What does knowing the gender achieve - either in terms of practical public information or in terms of "inclusivity" or comfort to the public. Gender is completely irrelevant to anyone. So I don't know what you are trying to say
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

The Doc wrote: What does knowing the gender achieve - either in terms of practical public information or in terms of "inclusivity" or comfort to the public. Gender is completely irrelevant to anyone. So I don't know what you are trying to say
Well the authorities seem to be adopting a more inclusive approach to information in regard to our first case.
Humanising cases makes it much more likely to get buy in from the general public is my guess.
There are a lot of parents this morning saying thanks be to god it's not my child etc etc.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Oldschool wrote:
The Doc wrote: What does knowing the gender achieve - either in terms of practical public information or in terms of "inclusivity" or comfort to the public. Gender is completely irrelevant to anyone. So I don't know what you are trying to say
Well the authorities seem to be adopting a more inclusive approach to information in regard to our first case.
Humanising cases makes it much more likely to get buy in from the general public is my guess.
There are a lot of parents this morning saying thanks be to god it's not my child etc etc.
"Now't as queer as folk" I guess
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

They are doing exactly what they aid they were going to do. They will communicate to people what needs to be known, while protecting peoples privacy, maintaining confidentiality, and sticking to relevant facts. They will continue to advise the public on what they need to know and how to limit the spread.

They will most likely also be blamed for the misinformation spread through social media because they refused to feed the mob.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Hypothetical question.
You know which school or schools even is/are involved and indeed the hospital handling case 0.
What should you do with that information?
If
A You are the government and are aware that this information is now, potentially, in the public arena.
B You're a member of the public in possession of this information or indeed a newspaper editor.
What advice should the government be giving 'B'.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

The Doc wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
"Now't as queer as folk" I guess
The nub firmly identified.
However folk don't necessarily behave as queerly as the movies would have us believe.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

A thread on how info is being disseminated by other govts around the world. We are an outlier compared to most of the countries infected.

https://twitter.com/rofitz17/status/123 ... 82688?s=20
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

paddyor wrote:A thread on how info is being disseminated by other govts around the world. We are an outlier compared to most of the countries infected.

That's an entire thread by an Irish guy wondering why he isn't being given information he doesn't really need ............. just because.
I just don't get why people are getting so excited about this the school not being named (even though they had the name of the school about 5 mins after the announcement).
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Logorrhea wrote:
paddyor wrote:A thread on how info is being disseminated by other govts around the world. We are an outlier compared to most of the countries infected.

That's an entire thread by an Irish guy wondering why he isn't being given information he doesn't really need ............. just because.
I just don't get why people are getting so excited about this the school not being named (even though they had the name of the school about 5 mins after the announcement).
No the point was you shouldn’t simply hand wave to authority for the sake of it. Kind of suspect some of the uproar is just a stick to beat the govt with. Of course I’m not someone at risk and the only relatives I have are far enough away that it doesn’t matter. I don’t feel strongly either way(the school was going to out either way as you couldn’t NDA everyone), but it comparing what we do and how we deal with it compared to others.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Yeah fair enough. He does start by saying that doctors aren't experts. The rest is mixing nations in that have widespread outbreaks that are not contained with nations that do not, as if they are equal. They aren't.

Ireland has one confirmed case (two on the island) so they are very much about containment. Comparing us to Italy or Korea, who are very much about mitigation is daft.

When we get more cases, which i imagine we will in the next week, they will change tactic and release more information.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Logorrhea wrote:Yeah fair enough. He does start by saying that doctors aren't experts. The rest is mixing nations in that have widespread outbreaks that are not contained with nations that do not, as if they are equal. They aren't.

Ireland has one confirmed case (two on the island) so they are very much about containment. Comparing us to Italy or Korea, who are very much about mitigation is daft.

When we get more cases, which i imagine we will in the next week, they will change tactic and release more information.
I’m not sure that’s the plan. From what I’ve read they’re being cagey so that they don’t have to give more info later on when say an accountants office with 5 people have a case. That makes sense a certain amount of sense wrt priorities but if others can do it maybe we should too?
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

I'm sure if they publicly named the school, there'd be just as much outrage on Twitter that they released the information.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

MAKO Vunipola is in self-isolation as a precaution due to coronavirus fears after flying back from Tonga via Hong Kong, will miss rest of 6 nations
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Logorrhea wrote:

The government now disagree with your contention regarding gender, I wonder why.
Perhaps they reviewed and reconsidered.
Maybe you should do the same and put away that antsy attitude you took with me.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Oldschool wrote:The government now disagree with your contention regarding gender, I wonder why.
maybe they have (link)............... and while your at it, explain to me why you had a right and/or need to know the sex of the NI case?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Logorrhea wrote:
Oldschool wrote:The government now disagree with your contention regarding gender, I wonder why.
maybe they have (link)............... and while your at it, explain to me why you had a right and/or need to know the sex of the NI case?
I already did if you bothered to read my reply/other follow on posts.
Maybe you'll explain to me why you took such an unnecessarily antsy attitude to what was a fair criticism of the governments approach, which the government now would appear to be in agreement with and have amended their approach accordingly.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Oldschool wrote:I already did if you bothered to read my reply/other follow on posts.
Maybe you'll explain to me why you took such an unnecessarily antsy attitude to what was a fair criticism of the governments approach, which the government now would appear to be in agreement with and have amended their approach accordingly.
Cause your post was ridiculous. You were criticising the government because they didn't give you information you didn't need, had no right too and could do absolutely nothing with. You wanted to complain about the government (whats left of them) and picked the most inane reason to do so. You wanted to be included? You were serious about that? Jesus I thought you were joking.

If you feel the governments decision to name the sex of the latest patient is some change in approach, well okay then. Congrats.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Logorrhea wrote:
Oldschool wrote:I already did if you bothered to read my reply/other follow on posts.
Cause your post was ridiculous. You were criticising the government because they didn't give you information you didn't need, had no right too and could do absolutely nothing with. You wanted to complain about the government (whats left of them) and picked the most inane reason to do so. You wanted to be included? You were serious about that? Jesus I thought you were joking.

If you feel the governments decision to name the sex of the latest patient is some change in approach, well okay then. Congrats.
You had a go and subsequently the basis of your reasoning was blown out of the water and has been (unfortunately) twice now.
You take that attitude with someone then don't be surprised when they take you up on it.
However I doubt from your attitude that you're likely to apply a "If the facts change then etc" approach.
The government at least have shown an ability to be flexible in their approach to how best to communicate to/with the public.
BTW I want to know as much as possible about something that is a potential threat to me particularly when it's quite clear that even the experts are prepared to admit that they don't have a complete handle on it.