Corona Virus

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

paddyor
Shane Jennings

Re: Corona Virus

Post by paddyor »

blockhead wrote:Women's Six Nations: Scotland v France postponed after home player tests positive for coronavirus
Jaysus like one of the Scots? Would’ve been in Italy 2 weeks ago.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

paddyor wrote:
blockhead wrote:Women's Six Nations: Scotland v France postponed after home player tests positive for coronavirus
Jaysus like one of the Scots? Would’ve been in Italy 2 weeks ago.
Yes and yes. They were due to play in Northern Italy.

1 player tested positive today, 7 uther people self isolating (unclear if just management or a mixture with other players).

Both captains runs would have been today. Scotstoun is widely used by the general public.....
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

kermischocolate wrote:1 player tested positive today, 7 uther people self isolating (unclear if just management or a mixture with other players).

Both captains runs would have been today. Scotstoun is widely used by the general public.....
Shocking as it is, R0 isn't that high, it's not measles. For the sake of comparison it was running wild in China (initial site was a food market or adjacent) for the better part of a month before they acted. Northern Italy is home to c 40m people with a truck load of tourists this time of year and the spread has been quite limited relatively speaking. I'd have had no problem with our games going ahead if they were in Italy(with a travel advisory warning). It's all within the realm of possiblity but at the same time so low risk..
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

paddyor wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:1 player tested positive today, 7 uther people self isolating (unclear if just management or a mixture with other players).

Shocking as it is, R0 isn't that high, it's not measles. For the sake of comparison it was running wild in China (initial site was a food market or adjacent) for the better part of a month before they acted. Northern Italy is home to c 40m people with a truck load of tourists this time of year and the spread has been quite limited relatively speaking. I'd have had no problem with our games going ahead if they were in Italy(with a travel advisory warning). It's all within the realm of possiblity but at the same time so low risk..
I meant if a symptomatic player trained with the squad (hopefully that's not what has happened) it's the perfect environment for a quick spread to many different groups.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Based on what I have gleaned to date.
1. CV19 is transmitted by touch - highest risk.
2. CV19 is transmitted by air - low risk.
3. The incubation period is usually 7 days but can take up to 14 days.
4. The infectious period is 14 days.
5. Males are reacting more strongly to the virus, is getting sicker.
6. If you're healthy you may get sick but nothing life threatening.
7. Children under the age of 10 seem to be not affected.

Prevention.
1. Avoid unnecessary physical contact.
2. Use wipes to clean the handle of any trolley you use.

To be continued and I'd welcome any corrections or emendments/amendments.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51674743

Article on breakdown of deaths here.
Last edited by IanD on March 7th, 2020, 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

https://youtu.be/eGRl5ekAqo0

Well worth a watch
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

I don't know if there's anything to be gained from looking at the experiences elsewhere. Every country is doing things differently. I've read the QF thread of the Saracens and people discussing the possibility of the game going ahead, being behind closed doors or the tournament postponed.

We've been in a constant state of high alert since February 17th. Today is March 8th. The British government said before peak corona could last 2-3 months and could take 2-3 months after to fall away. Everything here is canceled. Schools are closed (in some cases indefinitely) and a lot of people work from home. All public festivals are off. The start of the football and baseball seasons are postponed, and the end of the basketball, volleyball and ice hockeys seasons are either cancelled or played behind closed doors. The numbers are definitely stagnating and there are more and more people making full recoveries. But it just takes one cluster outbreak like in an apartment building, nursing home, school, church, bingo club for this to explode again. There are examples of cities with very high density reporting small numbers. It is hard to know how rigorous the testing is. You'd have to think that the next 7-10 days in Ireland are absolutely crucial. There has been a small surge this week. People should just limit their activities outside as much as possible. If the numbers steady out from here in the next forthright there's no reason for the Saracens game to be canceled. If there's a major outbreak then the game will not have fans.

But that's just here. There's so much uncertainty elsewhere. We're just guessing and predicting now. Everything can change tomorrow. Enjoy whatever rugby you get to see now. Forgot about the 6N and Heineken Cup, there's a bigger tournament in danger of not going ahead. I speak, of course, about the Asian 3 Nations which is due to start with the powerhouse Koreans versus the indestructible Malaysians.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

The large-scale quarantine in Italy is confusing - and that might be a generous description. 16 million people are in the affected areas, customers must sit 1m apart in restaurants and they can only open during certain hours, no travel in or out or within the area. It sounds very serious.

But then you see the late night ststement from the PM; “There will be no movement in or out of these areas, or within them, unless for proven, work-related reasons, emergencies or health reasons”. Work-related reasons? That sounds far more lax. And planes are flying in & out of Milan, trains are running as normal too.

Are they just trying to appear to be doing something?
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

suisse wrote:I don't know if there's anything to be gained from looking at the experiences elsewhere. Every country is doing things differently. I've read the QF thread of the Saracens and people discussing the possibility of the game going ahead, being behind closed doors or the tournament postponed.

We've been in a constant state of high alert since February 17th. Today is March 8th. The British government said before peak corona could last 2-3 months and could take 2-3 months after to fall away. Everything here is canceled. Schools are closed (in some cases indefinitely) and a lot of people work from home. All public festivals are off. The start of the football and baseball seasons are postponed, and the end of the basketball, volleyball and ice hockeys seasons are either cancelled or played behind closed doors. The numbers are definitely stagnating and there are more and more people making full recoveries. But it just takes one cluster outbreak like in an apartment building, nursing home, school, church, bingo club for this to explode again. There are examples of cities with very high density reporting small numbers. It is hard to know how rigorous the testing is. You'd have to think that the next 7-10 days in Ireland are absolutely crucial. There has been a small surge this week. People should just limit their activities outside as much as possible. If the numbers steady out from here in the next forthright there's no reason for the Saracens game to be canceled. If there's a major outbreak then the game will not have fans.

But that's just here. There's so much uncertainty elsewhere. We're just guessing and predicting now. Everything can change tomorrow. Enjoy whatever rugby you get to see now. Forgot about the 6N and Heineken Cup, there's a bigger tournament in danger of not going ahead. I speak, of course, about the Asian 3 Nations which is due to start with the powerhouse Koreans versus the indestructible Malaysians.
The incubation period is on average 2-10 days but can be as much as 14. We’re 7 days from patient zero with a few vectors coming in since. I’d lean towards the longer end of the scale as it’s probable the HSE isn’t working much on the weekend. So any new cases won’t come out until Monday.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

It appears that there are two strains of CV19.
One is apparently a bit worse than the other, this will impact on mortality rates.
Have we both strains or just one and if so which one?
Edit.
This might also account for the rumours that some people appeared to show signs of being re-invected.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Oldschool wrote:It appears that there are two strains of CV19.
One is apparently a bit worse than the other, this will impact on mortality rates.
Edit.
This might also account for the rumours that some people appeared to show signs of being re-invected.
Where are you getting that from?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Edit.
THe reinfected thing is apparently medical oversight and can happen with viral infections particularly new ones. I've seen it posted on twitter if it pops up again I'll post it here.

There is more than one strain but it's not like SARS or flu in that it doesn't mutate quickly. That's why they think a vaccine could be created quickly.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Twist wrote:The large-scale quarantine in Italy is confusing - and that might be a generous description. 16 million people are in the affected areas, customers must sit 1m apart in restaurants and they can only open during certain hours, no travel in or out or within the area. It sounds very serious.

But then you see the late night ststement from the PM; “There will be no movement in or out of these areas, or within them, unless for proven, work-related reasons, emergencies or health reasons”. Work-related reasons? That sounds far more lax. And planes are flying in & out of Milan, trains are running as normal too.

Are they just trying to appear to be doing something?
It gives people a shot at claiming travel insurance.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Peg Leg wrote:
Edit.
Where are you getting that from?
From a reliable source, I wouldn't post it otherwise.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Oldschool wrote:From a reliable source, I wouldn't post it otherwise.
HAve you a link? Or is this windbagging?
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Predictions that 2m people in Ireland will contract the CV19.
If the mortality rate is 3.5% then 70k will die.
Dig a little deeper into the figures.
Who are at risk and who may die?
80% are more or less unaffected by the virus.
The remaining 20% ie 400k are the ones at risk.
This means that the real(meaningful) mortality rate is 17.5% for those in the 400k group.
Looking at the earlier posts relating to age and health conditions.
If you are 60 years of age or over (MOI) then you are in the high to very high risk group.
What should people in the at risk group be doing to protect themselves and just importantly what practical advice should we/they be getting.
Your mission should you choose to accept it is to address that last question.
BTW I'm hoping someone will dispute my numbers and demonstrate that I've totally misunderstood.