Corona Virus

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Corona Virus

Post by Oldschool »

Sorry to hear about your Sister in Law JohnB.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

Thanks all for your kind words.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Cillian de Gascun's explanation on a Newstalk interview yesterday about "booster vaccinations" for some people, largely those with compromised immune systems, seemed both logical and reasonable. He proposed that some such people may not have acquired an adequate dose of antibodies in a two-jab AZ vaccination and a third jab may be necessary to complete the initial vaccination required for people with such conditions.

This seems a more logical procedure that merely providing a "booster" for the majority who have already received an adequate vaccination programme and would not be in contravention of the WHO advice that the emphasis should be on worldwide vaccination before those in the Western world receive any further inoculation from the limited supplies available.

The Irish medical advisers have adhered closely to the medical evidence thus far in making recommendations for our populace. Rather than reacting to the as yet unverified Israeli research hypothesis of the need for 'boosters', this would be a credible solution to concerns about the risks of lack of efficacy for elements of the vaccination programme to date.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote: August 26th, 2021, 8:40 am Cillian de Gascun's explanation on a Newstalk interview yesterday about "booster vaccinations" for some people, largely those with compromised immune systems, seemed both logical and reasonable. He proposed that some such people may not have acquired an adequate dose of antibodies in a two-jab AZ vaccination and a third jab may be necessary to complete the initial vaccination required for people with such conditions.

This seems a more logical procedure that merely providing a "booster" for the majority who have already received an adequate vaccination programme and would not be in contravention of the WHO advice that the emphasis should be on worldwide vaccination before those in the Western world receive any further inoculation from the limited supplies available.

The Irish medical advisers have adhered closely to the medical evidence thus far in making recommendations for our populace. Rather than reacting to the as yet unverified Israeli research hypothesis of the need for 'boosters', this would be a credible solution to concerns about the risks of lack of efficacy for elements of the vaccination programme to date.
I have this vague recollection that our our ertswhile medical advisors totally over-reacted to the unverified South African hypothesis that the AZ vaccine was no good against the SA variant.
Their favourite phrase during their advice (they weren't able to justify their advice on AZ restrictions) was that they were using an abundance of caution.
Correction they justified their approach to AZ but it didn't stand up to scrutiny, even their own scrutiny (eventually)
Let's not have any rewriting of history here.
The commission of enquiry or whatever will do that very nicely thank you.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

this guy is good, makes sense of the scientific papers and published data https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF9IOB ... IBupFtBDxg
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Killing two birds with the one stone.
https://phys.org/news/2021-11-lab-condi ... masks.html
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

What a shitshow. It was so great to see a full house at the Aviva for the Rugby and and the football over the past week. The atmosphere for the rugby looked amazing and it makes difference to how you experience the game. And now we're back to probably a new round of overwrought restrictions which like last year will in all likelihood exacerbate the spread as people move to house parties and the like. Good job we held off on lifting restrictions until flu season kicked in otherwise we'd be like the Brits who are *checks notes* past there peak already.

If you look at the antigen tests timleine, starting this time last year with "We've a report on the way", thru this year with the soda water farce and finally onto them being rolled out as mandatory for close contacts what are you to think?Is it malice or are they just morons. Or is that they think they're being clever but actually they're morons?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Why oh why didn't the IRFU "strongly request" that everybody attending AVIVA today for our test match versus Argentina to wear a face mask.?

This has perhaps been the most common advice from all the health care personnel in the past three days as our country tries to reduce the impact of Phase four of this pandemic. Wearing a mask in any crowded environment, indoors or outdoors, dramatically reduces the impact of exhalation and distribution of aerosol breath.

This was an open goal opportunity and one which the IRFU COULD HAVE GRABBED
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

They did
Show Spoiler:
Autumn Nations Series 2021

Ireland v Argentina – Kick Off 14.15 hrs

Aviva Stadium

Sunday 21st November 2021

The IRFU kindly ask supporters to wear facemasks at all times when attending the Ireland v Argentina game.

JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

Reminders by the stadium announcer to wear masks in the stadium as a simple but effective health measure and a matter of practical patriotism, should be ongoing during the matches. I paused my recording of last week’s game while re-watching it the other night. The camera caught about 100 people in the frame, of which, 7 were wearing masks. No wonder the virus is surging again.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: November 28th, 2021, 9:15 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxlYyZ08cEg

video on the O variant
27 minutes of waffle no doubt and 27 minutes of my life I'm not going to waste.
O is another boogeyman variant.
The last boogeyman variant was a SA variant too.
It's a fair bet that it's here already.
Time will tell.
In the meantime WEAR YOUR MASK especially you Dr T.
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

JohnB wrote:Reminders by the stadium announcer to wear masks in the stadium as a simple but effective health measure and a matter of practical patriotism, should be ongoing during the matches. I paused my recording of last week’s game while re-watching it the other night. The camera caught about 100 people in the frame, of which, 7 were wearing masks. No wonder the virus is surging again.
Last night the announcer and the screens asked people to wear their masks several times, maybe 10 or 12. Which was much appreciated by me. Not sure if it had much effect on those around me. I would say mask wearing was about 1 in 15 or so.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Oldschool wrote: November 28th, 2021, 9:38 am
Oldschoolsocks wrote: November 28th, 2021, 9:15 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxlYyZ08cEg

video on the O variant
Time will tell.
I would have thought that as someone who claims to be an engineer you of all people you would appreciate a phd summarising scientific papers in an easily digestible 20 something minute video, for example he explains how the number of mutations to the spike may render the current vaccines less effective.

TLDR - you do you man
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: November 28th, 2021, 1:01 pm

video on the O variant
Time will tell.
I would have thought that as someone who claims to be an engineer you of all people you would appreciate a phd summarising scientific papers in an easily digestible 20 something minute video, for example he explains how the number of mutations to the spike may render the current vaccines less effective.

TLDR - you do you man
Touchy.
Claim to be an engineer, think you are mixing me up with one of your other protagonists.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Oldschool wrote: November 28th, 2021, 1:47 pm
Time will tell.

TLDR - you do you man
Touchy.
Claim to be an engineer, think you are mixing me up with one of your other protagonists.
1: OK so I mixed you up with somebody else
2: if you don't appreciate the link it's entirely up to you whether you want valuable information or not
C: I'm not touchy, genuinely zero fox given
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

video on the O variant
Time will tell.

TLDR - you do you man
It’s all speculation at this stage. We had the same speculation with delta, the Indian and the Brazilian variant and it was all BS.

Shutting down the SA tourist industry and possibly starving people because their govt did the needful and sequenced dna.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

paddyor wrote: November 28th, 2021, 10:45 pm
Time will tell.

TLDR - you do you man
It’s all speculation at this stage. We had the same speculation with delta, the Indian and the Brazilian variant and it was all BS.

Shutting down the SA tourist industry and possibly starving people because their govt did the needful and sequenced dna.
I'm not sure what your point is here tbh?

the video is a man with a PHD focussed on the development of low cost multimedia educational resources for health care professionals
and a long career in a medical field (nursing) who summarises published papers and explains the technical bits for the likes of me (and maybe you?). The information is current and the Channel Owner changes his mind when the science dictates it so he's not an ideologue.

As for it being BS I'm not at all sure how you come to that conclusion - lots and lots of people are still getting sick and dying from this virus, the breakthrough infections from the Delta variant are also demonstrably a real thing, if the Omicron variant becomes the dominant variant I would like to know as much as I can about it and this lad explains so someone like me with no expertise in the field can understand it.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: November 28th, 2021, 11:29 pm I'm not sure what your point is here tbh?

the video is a man with a PHD focussed on the development of low cost multimedia educational resources for health care professionals
and a long career in a medical field (nursing) who summarises published papers and explains the technical bits for the likes of me (and maybe you?). The information is current and the Channel Owner changes his mind when the science dictates it so he's not an ideologue.

As for it being BS I'm not at all sure how you come to that conclusion - lots and lots of people are still getting sick and dying from this virus, the breakthrough infections from the Delta variant are also demonstrably a real thing, if the Omicron variant becomes the dominant variant I would like to know as much as I can about it and this lad explains so someone like me with no expertise in the field can understand it.
It's all hysteria and you can be be as measured and calm as you like but it's all the same ballpark. At this stage we just don't know enough about it to actually say anything. And once again it seems a reason to change policy direction appears when the UK needs it. Cases will shoot up in the UK in the next few weeks because COVID and winter respiratory illnesses and they will blame the new variant but actually it's just winter. CAses are falling here but new variant.

What breakthrough infections? If the vaccine has 90% efficay and you vax 4m then 400k are still at risk. It's still mostly unvaxxed in hsopital last time I checkedand it should be +60% at this point. The vaccines worked.

We're going to cripple those countries economies for no gain. It may well become the dominant variant jus6 like the delat or the spanish one before it. We don't need to panic yet. I've been firmly of the view that the CCP be held to some account for it's handling of the initial outbreak but increasingly the world makes the point that they were dead right.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

paddyor wrote: November 29th, 2021, 12:47 am
Oldschoolsocks wrote: November 28th, 2021, 11:29 pm I'm not sure what your point is here tbh?

It's all hysteria and you can be be as measured and calm as you like but it's all the same ballpark. At this stage we just don't know enough about it to actually say anything. And once again it seems a reason to change policy direction appears when the UK needs it. Cases will shoot up in the UK in the next few weeks because COVID and winter respiratory illnesses and they will blame the new variant but actually it's just winter. CAses are falling here but new variant.

What breakthrough infections? If the vaccine has 90% efficay and you vax 4m then 400k are still at risk. It's still mostly unvaxxed in hsopital last time I checkedand it should be +60% at this point. The vaccines worked.

We're going to cripple those countries economies for no gain. It may well become the dominant variant jus6 like the delat or the spanish one before it. We don't need to panic yet. I've been firmly of the view that the CCP be held to some account for it's handling of the initial outbreak but increasingly the world makes the point that they were dead right.
A breakthrough infection is where a fully vaccinated person becomes infected.

Fully vaccinated people are getting infected, getting sick and dying. Most of these seem to be in the most vulnerable categories.

So I still don’t know where the claim of BS comes from.