Here are five stupid ideas that were not “BREXIT”:-
1. Johann Ritter, a German physicist, made a self-experiment applying poles of a voltaic pile to his own hands, eyes, ears, nose, tongue…and penis. After realizing that it caused orgasms, he got addicted. This caused some health problems, which made Ritter self-medicate with opium. His health was so weak that he died of tuberculosis at 33 years old.
2. In 1973 engineer Henry Smolinski decided to design a flying car using the rear end of an airplane and a Ford Pinto. During a flight test, Smolinski died, when the wing strut detached from the car.
3. The doctor Stubbins Ffirth wanted to prove that the yellow fever wasn’t a contagious disease (it is). To prove his point, he exposed himself to the disease, drinking vomit, urine and blood from patients with yellow fever. Still healthy, Ffirth considered his theory proven. However the transmission of yellow fever is usually by a mosquito…so he drank all that pee, vomit and blood for nothing.
4. During the Cold War CIA agent Frank Wisner proposed that the US government would send, along with the baskets of humanitarian aid to impoverished communist countries, packets of extra-large condoms – but would label them as “small” or “medium”. The idea was to convince the communists that American men were well endowed.
5. In 2002 the Irish Government issued every house in the Country a packet of Iodine tablets to take in the event of a nuclear emergency (with a particular focus on potential terrorist attack at the Sellafield and Chapelcross reactors in the UK). The entire batch – 14.2million tablets at a cost of €630,000 – expired in 2005; they will not be getting replaced because apparently the threat of a nuclear meltdown/terrorist attack has receded and taking them wouldn’t do anything, anyway.