for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Brexit

Post by Oldschool »

Mr Sandman, bringing us a nightmare.
Merkel isn't a whole lot better tbf.
Herself and Macron are all set to accept the collateral damage coming the EU's way ie Ireland getting screwed. Hopefully not before the RWC is over for us.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Almost over bar the shouting.
Hopefully the new Boris and the new EU executive can put together a deal that will work for everyone.
The electoral results up North are to say the very least " interesting" as Confucius might put it.
"We are living in interesting times"
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

'Interesting' indeed. Brexit mess followed by increasingly greater calls for Scottish independence and then all sorts of instability in Northern Ireland. I live in Scotland and with such turmoil on the horizon I've got to make a decision to stay or go. I don't know if I can ask my English girlfriend to leave though but I genuinely don't think I can stay. I have no idea what to do now, in my mid 30s and have only just found some semblence of stability only for it to be pulled from under me.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

jimbobjoe wrote:'Interesting' indeed. Brexit mess followed by increasingly greater calls for Scottish independence and then all sorts of instability in Northern Ireland. I live in Scotland and with such turmoil on the horizon I've got to make a decision to stay or go. I don't know if I can ask my English girlfriend to leave though but I genuinely don't think I can stay. I have no idea what to do now, in my mid 30s and have only just found some semblence of stability only for it to be pulled from under me.
Home is where the heart is.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

Lord buckethead did well last night. got 125 votes.
he was on the podium last night with boris at the constituency count result. At least the DUP are toast now, which is a good thing.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Oldschool wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:'Interesting' indeed. Brexit mess followed by increasingly greater calls for Scottish independence and then all sorts of instability in Northern Ireland. I live in Scotland and with such turmoil on the horizon I've got to make a decision to stay or go. I don't know if I can ask my English girlfriend to leave though but I genuinely don't think I can stay. I have no idea what to do now, in my mid 30s and have only just found some semblence of stability only for it to be pulled from under me.
Home is where the heart is.
Ireland failed me once
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote:Lord buckethead did well last night. got 125 votes.
he was on the podium last night with boris at the constituency count result. At least the DUP are toast now, which is a good thing.
This is the singular silver lining.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Its not much of a silver lining. They're still the largest party in Northern Ireland - won the most seats in Westminster, have the most seats in the Assembly and got the largest vote in 2017 and 2019 General Elections and the 2017 Assembly election. "They haven't gone away you know". They're back to where they were pre-2017.

The UUP now, they're toast.
I have Bumbleflex
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Dave Cahill wrote:Its not much of a silver lining. They're still the largest party in Northern Ireland - won the most seats in Westminster, have the most seats in the Assembly and got the largest vote in 2017 and 2019 General Elections and the 2017 Assembly election. "They haven't gone away you know". They're back to where they were pre-2017.

You're right about the DUP having the most seats in the assembly, but for the first time in Northern Ireland, nationalists won more seats (9 seats) than unionists (DUP won 7, UUP 0) in the GE. that is a huge shift in NI politics.
The whopping majority Boris the fridge magnet won means the DUP have zero sway in westmin as a party - specifically with the "border in the irish sea" brexit. that alone, for me, is a silver lining.
They now have no choice to compromise with SF to get the assembly back up and running. Of course they will, probably, create chaos there, but, at least their sway in london is gone.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I don't think they are at all. They've lost credibility and when the long delayed reports of their criminal corruption and cover ups come out the last moderate unionists holding their noses to vote for them tactically will find it increasingly difficult to hold down their lunch while doing so.

As they should. It's their fault. It's their move now.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Its not much of a silver lining. They're still the largest party in Northern Ireland - won the most seats in Westminster, have the most seats in the Assembly and got the largest vote in 2017 and 2019 General Elections and the 2017 Assembly election. "They haven't gone away you know". They're back to where they were pre-2017.

You're right about the DUP having the most seats in the assembly, but for the first time in Northern Ireland, nationalists won more seats (9 seats) than unionists (DUP won 7, UUP 0) in the GE. that is a huge shift in NI politics.
The whopping majority Boris the fridge magnet won means the DUP have zero sway in westmin as a party - specifically with the "border in the irish sea" brexit. that alone, for me, is a silver lining.
They now have no choice to compromise with SF to get the assembly back up and running. Of course they will, probably, create chaos there, but, at least their sway in london is gone.
DUP got 8 didn't they.

Alliance getting 1 is an interesting one - they also ate into a number of DUP majorities. Nationalists got 9 but possible not immediately repeatable because I don't think you'll see the same level of coordination between SF and the SDLP in a future election. But the Alliance gain in vote share does seem to be a shift.
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

The Doc wrote:
MylesNaGapoleen wrote: You're right about the DUP having the most seats in the assembly, but for the first time in Northern Ireland, nationalists won more seats (9 seats) than unionists (DUP won 7, UUP 0) in the GE. that is a huge shift in NI politics.
DUP got 8 didn't they.

Alliance getting 1 is an interesting one - they also ate into a number of DUP majorities. Nationalists got 9 but possible not immediately repeatable because I don't think you'll see the same level of coordination between SF and the SDLP in a future election. But the Alliance gain in vote share does seem to be a shift.
Yep, the alliance party are pinching a lot of the old green/orange vote. in the eu elections in May, the dup lost their seat and naomi long from the pro remain alliance party won. which means a lot of traditional unionists would prefer to stay in the EU than the UK and are happy to vote that way now.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Why would you leave??
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Where the fc#k is Sir Humphrey when you really need him?
Yes minister was never that good or representitive of how things actually work.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

kermischocolate wrote:
Why would you leave??
A country that holds no scrutiny over it's leaders, has open racism accepted, has complete disregard for the wellbeing of others, has a poor education system, has a worse media, is divided to the point of no repair. Why should I stay?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

jimbobjoe wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:
Why would you leave??
A country that holds no scrutiny over it's leaders, has open racism accepted, has complete disregard for the wellbeing of others, has a poor education system, has a worse media, is divided to the point of no repair. Why should I stay?
Just for clarity.
Are you talking about Scotland, England or both?
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

jimbobjoe wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:
Why would you leave??
Yea, so why would you leave Scotland?
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Scotland, England, Wales, NI. They're all the same same country.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

No. They're not. Brexit prooves this. Britain is finished. The pretence they maintained that Britain was anything other than imperial England's last hold on foreign land has dissolved in the face of English white nationalism.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

fourthirtythree wrote:No. They're not. Brexit prooves this. Britain is finished. The pretence they maintained that Britain was anything other than imperial England's last hold on foreign land has dissolved in the face of English white nationalism.
Until they're not, they very much are. Scotland has the best chance of success if they go it alone but they'll need to find something other than oil, whisky and tourism.