Brexit

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Brexit

Post by Oldschool »

fourthirtythree wrote:No. They're not. Brexit prooves this. Britain is finished. The pretence they maintained that Britain was anything other than imperial England's last hold on foreign land has dissolved in the face of English white nationalism.
Less of the "white" there mate.
If you are white then speak for yourself and if you're not then if the cap fits wear it.
There are non whites, including at least one minister in the Tory government who are strongly pro Brexit, with all that entails.
My experience, as a white person is that white people are subjected to just as much racial discrimination as any other colour.
This should come as no surprise to anyone because we are all, at our core, part of the human race with all that goes with that.
And just in case you think I look at this from just a colour point of view, I don't.
I've met plenty of coloured people who are fine, certainly with me, and didn't seem to have a problem with my colour.
The only insight I could add and it's a cliche but education seems to be the great leveller.
With education comes opportunity.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

jimbobjoe wrote:Until they're not, they very much are. Scotland has the best chance of success if they go it alone but they'll need to find something other than oil, whisky and tourism.
I can see why you are frequently disappointed by countries
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

jimbobjoe wrote:Scotland, England, Wales, NI. They're all the same same country.
No. They're very much not. If after the last 5 years especially you think they are, then I don't know what to tell you.

Besides, why do countries have to be big to succeed? Lots of smaller nations manage perfectly well. An independent Scotland would be no different.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

kermischocolate wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:Scotland, England, Wales, NI. They're all the same same country.
No. They're very much not. If after the last 5 years especially you think they are, then I don't know what to tell you.

Besides, why do countries have to be big to succeed? Lots of smaller nations manage perfectly well. An independent Scotland would be no different.
As long as they're under one government, they are - there's not much complexity to it despite what people may or may not want. Don't let the devolved goverments/assemblies fool you, they're just tokens.

I never said anything about a country having to be big, I actually think smaller states are a better model for success. Scotland on it's own would need to expand it's industries to prosper and not sit back on the two main selling points of the last independence referendum (oil and whisky; both markets took a nosedive soon after btw).
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

jimbobjoe wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:

As long as they're under one government, they are - there's not much complexity to it despite what people may or may not want. Don't let the devolved goverments/assemblies fool you, they're just tokens.

I never said anything about a country having to be big, I actually think smaller states are a better model for success. Scotland on it's own would need to expand it's industries to prosper and not sit back on the two main selling points of the last independence referendum (oil and whisky; both markets took a nosedive soon after btw).
You are obviously not happy with your lot at the moment.
I'm not a counselor (Career or personal) but perhaps you should engage the services of one just to verify where you're at.
As for Whiskey and oil.
Whiskey is always in demand and seems to be a growth industry globally so that should be fixable. Somebody must have taken the eye off the ball. A Dodie Weir malt sounds like an idea.
Scotland like Ireland has the capacity to become a huge exporter of green (wind) electricity.
Staying in the EU would help but there is surely significant opportunity via undersea cable connection to Europe to grow this industry.
Scotland's first minister talks a good game but I'm not that she has much substance. Has she any vision beyond a "free" Scotland and supping the crumns of the EU table.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Oldschool wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:No. They're not. Brexit prooves this. Britain is finished. The pretence they maintained that Britain was anything other than imperial England's last hold on foreign land has dissolved in the face of English white nationalism.
If you are white then speak for yourself and if you're not then if the cap fits wear it.
There are non whites, including at least one minister in the Tory government who are strongly pro Brexit, with all that entails.
My experience, as a white person is that white people are subjected to just as much racial discrimination as any other colour.
This should come as no surprise to anyone because we are all, at our core, part of the human race with all that goes with that.
And just in case you think I look at this from just a colour point of view, I don't.
I've met plenty of coloured people who are fine, certainly with me, and didn't seem to have a problem with my colour.
The only insight I could add and it's a cliche but education seems to be the great leveller.
In your experience as a white person what racial discrimination have you been subjected to?
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Oldschool wrote: You are obviously not happy with your lot at the moment.
I'm not a counselor (Career or personal) but perhaps you should engage the services of one just to verify where you're at.
As for Whiskey and oil.
Whiskey is always in demand and seems to be a growth industry globally so that should be fixable. Somebody must have taken the eye off the ball. A Dodie Weir malt sounds like an idea.
Scotland like Ireland has the capacity to become a huge exporter of green (wind) electricity.
Staying in the EU would help but there is surely significant opportunity via undersea cable connection to Europe to grow this industry.
Scotland's first minister talks a good game but I'm not that she has much substance. Has she any vision beyond a "free" Scotland and supping the crumns of the EU table.
If she doesn't have one she will need to find one pretty quickly otherwise the next ref result will go the same way as the last.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
In your experience as a white person what racial discrimination have you been subjected to?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Oldschool wrote: You are obviously not happy with your lot at the moment.
As for Whiskey and oil.
My career and personal life are both going very well, so no need for a counselor of any kind thanks.

I'm unhappy with shite governments and the people who vote them in. I know I'll do just fine regardless of who's in (a Tory Government probably helps my bank balance), i'd just prefer have a world where racist sentiment and destruction of essential public services aren't top of the agenda. Too much to ask?
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Oldschool wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:
Oldschool wrote: ...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
None then? usual fare so...
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Oldschool wrote: Scotland's first minister talks a good game but I'm not that she has much substance. Has she any vision beyond a "free" Scotland and supping the crumns of the EU table.
She doesn't imo.
Public services in Scotland are a mess and given they are by and large devolved issues the fault lies squarely with the snp. In saying that, they are still vastly better than in England.
But, Scottish politics is in a very different place to 5 years ago. The choice is now between Europe and the Tories. That's enough to persuade many to change their mind on independence. Me included. Something has to change and I'd take my chances with the unknown.
At least in an independent Scotland the snp could be voted out and there would be an actual choice.