Broadband and Sports packages.

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Broadband and Sports packages.

Post by Oldschool »

Shhsh
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

rooster wrote:
Grumpy Old Man wrote:
rooster wrote:Have you contacted Premier to see if they will sell the online version to Ireland ?
I checked their website - “Content is only available to view in the United Kingdom”
Ah well now, since I wrote that diesel was required so did a wee experiment en route and the premier player app streamed perfectly on Vodafone IE and also connected through wifi at the filling station
You'll need to be careful about that roaming after March next year :-)

A couple of questions -
Do you think this only works close to the border (i.e. they realise in those locations there will be a lot of switching from UK to ROI networks). I wonder would this work further south
Does the Premier website or app support Chromcast - can you cast it to your TV?
Are they showing all the games live - you mentioned they might show the Ulster games live and need to see the others on replay. But I assume that can be determined by you - if you sign up to Premier in London (imagine you were there for some reason) I don't imagine they prioritise Ulster games for everyone?

I'm interested if anyone is trying it out
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

The Doc wrote:You'll need to be careful about that roaming after March next year :-)

A couple of questions -
Do you think this only works close to the border (i.e. they realise in those locations there will be a lot of switching from UK to ROI networks). I wonder would this work further south
Does the Premier website or app support Chromcast - can you cast it to your TV?
Are they showing all the games live - you mentioned they might show the Ulster games live and need to see the others on replay. But I assume that can be determined by you - if you sign up to Premier in London (imagine you were there for some reason) I don't imagine they prioritise Ulster games for everyone?

I'm interested if anyone is trying it out
I've just set up an account with PS (in UK). Chromecast is supported, also supports streaming to firestick I think, via the app. The app isn't the nicest to use though.

My understanding is all 152 games will be shown by PS and available to watch in the UK. Martin Anayi (Pro14 head honcho) tweeted as much this morning. There's two Premier channels plus FreeSports so should't be an issue.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Doc don't mention next year !
That is far down my worry list at present. I will be hoping though that Vodafone will continue to do the free roaming as it was available to us for almost 2 years before it was made a ruling anyway.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

http://www.premiersports.com/info/faqs/ Number 14 explains why some won't work for you but the rugby is both sides so won't matter, strangely I can get Eir sports on my sky box sometimes but not others and that might also explain that.
Seems like it will be trial and error for a while and the 1 month options look the safest if in doubt.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

https://www.pro14rugby.org/2018/08/31/e ... agreement/

ESPN+, the premium multi-sport, direct-to-consumer video service from The Walt Disney Company’s Direct-to-Consumer and International (DTCI) and ESPN, will feature 142 matches per season. Another 10 matches, all between December and May, will appear on ESPN’s linear television networks.

Nothing Mickey Mouse about that.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Eve
Mullet Moderator

Post by Eve »

Ok - so I have sky TV and broadband. Didn't want to change my broadband to get eir as I'm perfectly happy with it. Am I understanding correctly that as my BB is through eir lines the quality should be the same if I switch?
Summer is ready when you are

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Yes. Sky just resell eir broadband. You will see no difference.

Bit of a no brainer if you want eir sports. 27.50 pm for nowt.

Only thing is eir are great at making a bollix of stuff. So there may be short term pain. Otoh it should be fine.
Eve
Mullet Moderator

Post by Eve »

johng wrote:Yes. Sky just resell eir broadband. You will see no difference.

Bit of a no brainer if you want eir sports. 27.50 pm for nowt.

Only thing is eir are great at making a bollix of stuff. So there may be short term pain. Otoh it should be fine.
Brilliant - thanks johng
Summer is ready when you are

IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

After all my slagging off of Eir tv I may be on the road to Damascus.

Currently I pay €50 for broadband and €20 for mobile phone. If I switch to Eir I get broadband mobile and Eir tv - so no casting from tablet etc. - for €75 for 6 months and then €80 for further 6 months.

I am thinking for the sake of a maximum of a tenner access to the rugby would worth it.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

I'm waiting until the 1st match that I can't attend or is not on TG4 before i sign up to eirsport on sky. My broadband is a whopping 5MB down and about 110kb so the eir package is off the table.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

IanD wrote:After all my slagging off of Eir tv I may be on the road to Damascus.

Currently I pay €50 for broadband and €20 for mobile phone. If I switch to Eir I get broadband mobile and Eir tv - so no casting from tablet etc. - for €75 for 6 months and then €80 for further 6 months.

I am thinking for the sake of a maximum of a tenner access to the rugby would worth it.
Devil is in the detail.

Eir charge €5 extra for HD channels in tv package.

Having a sit down on the side of the road to Damascus.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Sky and BT have come to an agreement that will see Sky become BT Sports exclusive distribution partner in Ireland from summer 2019. Where this will leave Eir Broadband subscribers remains to be seen.
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Dave Cahill wrote:Sky and BT have come to an agreement that will see Sky become BT Sports exclusive distribution partner in Ireland from summer 2019. Where this will leave Eir Broadband subscribers remains to be seen.
Canceling their subs I'd say.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

johng wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Sky and BT have come to an agreement that will see Sky become BT Sports exclusive distribution partner in Ireland from summer 2019. Where this will leave Eir Broadband subscribers remains to be seen.
I'm raging about this. With an eir sports pack I Finally had one subscription covering all my rugby needs.
Daniel Sullivan
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Peg Leg wrote:
johng wrote:
I'm raging about this. With an eir sports pack I Finally had one subscription covering all my rugby needs.
I'm not too impressed myself as I switched my broadband to Eir during the summer just to get the rugby. Looks like I'll have to subscribe to Sky Sports again in some form. The don't make it easy.
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

This kind if thing is pita all right.
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

tomthefan wrote:This kind if thing is pita all right.
What have kebabs got to do with it?
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

johng wrote:
tomthefan wrote:This kind if thing is pita all right.
What have kebabs got to do with it?
That reminds me, whatever happened to those frozen doner kebabs you used to be able to buy in tesco and places and do in two minutes or so in the microwave?
There used to be two in a box each in an individual paper bag for microwaving along with a plastic sachet of spicy sauce.
I miss them :cry:
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Are we any clearer on this? I feel like I need to engage a broker to work out the best package for me.
Daniel Sullivan