Sponsorship / Crowd funding / Need money....

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

COYBIB
Enlightened

Re: Sponsorship / Crowd funding / Need money....

Post by COYBIB »

Peg Leg, congrats on the new blade! (and impressive time over 3k!)

A lot of people have offered to donate and I would like to join that queue. As you're not accepting personal donations, if you would like to set up a donations page anyway and donate to a charity of your choice (such as paralympics Ireland) let us know. Alternatively, if you'd like to nominate a charity, people in this thread (or people reading) who were inspired by your post can choose to donate directly to that if you provide a link. (It certainly reminded me of what I take for granted and how elated you were put a smile on my face).

Cheers!
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

I got passed by a runner wearing a blade in the Limerick marathon in 2012 which was slightly better than being passed in this years Dublin triathlon bike section by two lads on a tandem.

I may need to consider other challenges.
Get in the f%~king bag.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Slipper1 wrote:I got passed by a runner wearing a blade in the Limerick marathon in 2012 which was slightly better than being passed in this years Dublin triathlon bike section by two lads on a tandem.

Simon Baker, a personal inspiration.

http://outonalimbproject.weebly.com/index.html
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Slipper1 wrote:I got passed by a runner wearing a blade in the Limerick marathon in 2012 which was slightly better than being passed in this years Dublin triathlon bike section by two lads on a tandem.

In fairness, I think you were passed out by a lot more people than that! :wink:
A proud Winsome Fluter
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:

In fairness, I think you were passed out by a lot more people than that! :wink:
That made me laugh a lot, yes, him, amongst many thousands of others!
Get in the f%~king bag.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

So does the blade help you run faster than with a leg? Was Oscar telling porkies to get a run out in the Olympics?
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

domhnallj wrote:So does the blade help you run faster than with a leg? Was Oscar telling porkies to get a run out in the Olympics?
Nah, you can still only run as fast as your good leg permits. He might have an advantage because he's on 2 of them though.
Daniel Sullivan
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Peg Leg wrote:
domhnallj wrote:So does the blade help you runner than with a leg? Was Oscar telling porkies to get a run out in the Olympics?
Nah, you can still only run as fast as your good leg permits. He might have an advantage because he's on 2 of them though.

Just getting to read this now. Best of luck PL, so happy you have been able to do this and glad to hear it has made a marked improvement to your life
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Peg Leg wrote:
domhnallj wrote:So does the blade help you run faster than with a leg? Was Oscar telling porkies to get a run out in the Olympics?
Wasn't the issue at the Olympics to do with the height of the blades rather than any added "spring" from them. IIRC, his blades had to be certified at the start of the season that they matched what would have been his natural height. The accusation at the Olympics was that he was using higher blades which would essentially have given him a much longer stride - and that was the question over whether there was an advantage. They were showing photos from earlier in the season when he seemed lower compared to other athletes.

In fairness - would only work for a double amputee - not sure having an overly high blade on one leg would help - maybe running the bends on indoor tracks :D
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

The Doc wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
Wasn't the issue at the Olympics to do with the height of the blades rather than any added "spring" from them. IIRC, his blades had to be certified at the start of the season that they matched what would have been his natural height. The accusation at the Olympics was that he was using higher blades which would essentially have given him a much longer stride - and that was the question over whether there was an advantage. They were showing photos from earlier in the season when he seemed lower compared to other athletes.

In fairness - would only work for a double amputee - not sure having an overly high blade on one leg would help - maybe running the bends on indoor tracks :D
The discussion was related to the height, the problem is at what point do you measure the height?
Compressed or extended?
With my own leg, it was originally measured for me applying 50% of my body weight on it- this resulted in me actually having the blade longer than my own leg, which in turn resulted in me landing face first in the dirt more often than necessary (because it kept clipping the ground mid stride). So the blade is now the same length as my own leg, with hardly any body weight being applied.
A double amputee can have have an advantage if the height (and by extension, the spring) is exaggerated.
Daniel Sullivan