Weird news thread

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Weird news thread

Post by Hornet »

Ruckedtobits wrote: August 20th, 2020, 10:12 pm The Oireachtas Golf Society sits 81 people down to Dinner (albeit in two rooms) in a hotel in Cliften and thinks this is OK.

This is precisely the behaviour that Haughey indulged in 30 years ago which lost him the backing of 'the plain people of Ireland' and ultimately the only role he ever wanted.

Appalled and pissed off, everybody associated with organising and attending that function should be named and shamed.

Every Sports Club of every code would love to hold a golf fundraiser and for some it might be purely for their survival. That the clowns who actually dare to do it are a Society made up of our legislators and their friends and associates beggars belief.

Name each one with accompanying photographs and let them each suffer the ridicule they deserve.

THIS IS REAL WEIRD NEWS
b$&%@#ds the whole f**king lot of them.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Kindergarten teacher in China poisoned classroom porridge in staff quarrel
By CNN Sep 29, 2020

A kindergarten teacher who poisoned 25 children, killing one of them, after an argument with a rival staff member has been sentenced to death by a court in central China.
In its official ruling, the Jiaozuo Intermediate People's Court in Henan province described killer Wang Yun's motives as "despicable" and "vicious."
"She should be punished severely in accordance with the law," the ruling said.
The court heard that in the lead-up to the poisoning, Wang had quarrelled with another teacher at the Jiaozuo kindergarten over how best to handle the students.
Then, on the morning of March 27, 2019, Wang added nitrite to porridge supplied by the school and intended for the other teacher's students. Wang had previously bought the nitrite online.

According to the US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, nitrite is toxic and a likely carcinogen used in fertilisers, food preservation and even munitions and explosives. At high levels, it can stop the human body from properly absorbing oxygen.
Wang had previously been caught trying to poison her husband, surnamed Feng, in February 2017 after an argument. On that occasion, Wang poured nitrite into a glass used by Feng, causing minor injuries.

At the time of the 2019 kindergarten poisoning, one parent told China's state-run tabloid Global Times he had received a call from the kindergarten saying his child had vomited and fainted. When he arrived, his child was unconscious.
"The vomit was all over (their) pants. There were other children who were also throwing up, and they looked pale," the father, surnamed Li, said.
Allegations of needle injuries
Wang's sentence comes amid fresh allegations of the mistreatment of children at a kindergarten in northern China.
Eight parents claimed to have found unknown needle marks on their children's heads and bodies after they returned from Dingqi kindergarten in Hohhot, in the autonomous region of Inner Mongolia, state media Xinhua said.
According to Xinhua, when asked about the needle holes, the children told their parents that their teacher stabbed them with "toothpicks" and "red needles" for not behaving in class -- and ordered them to not tell their families.
In a statement, the Xincheng district police said three women had been detained on suspicion of "torturing children under their guardianship," although the case remains under investigation.
The Dingqi kindergarten said in a statement that while the school apologized for the concern and worry caused to parents, it had not yet found any evidence to substantiate the claims.
"At present, (we) have cooperated with the police to provide relevant surveillance footage and equipment, and cooperated with the investigation by the public security department," the statement said.

In November 2017, a Beijing kindergarten teacher was sentenced to 18 months in prison for piercing four children in her class with needles. Police said the teacher, surnamed Liu, was using the needles to "tame" children, according to state-run tabloid Global Times.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

So this Edwin Poots guy is a bit of a lark isn't he.
The Earth was created in 4000BC and all that, WTF?
Arlene Foster was too liberal, only in the DUP.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

It’ll be very interesting whether they go for him or Donaldson. Donaldson would be a bit of continuity from Robinson & Foster. Poots is the ‘mask off’ candidate
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

blockhead wrote: May 1st, 2021, 1:07 pm So this Edwin Poots guy is a bit of a lark isn't he.
The Earth was created in 4000BC and all that, WTF?
Arlene Foster was too liberal, only in the DUP.
Young Earth creationist as first minister, yuck. To have someone that willing to reject science as the leader of the country would make for some very difficult dialogue.
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Leicester Tigers 'Prostitute' Story.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lei ... e-57510121
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Pubcrawl world record? Gimme a break.
First of all.
"BBC News reports that Ellis, who mostly stuck to soft drinks during his attempt to set a new world record, said it was ‘probably the most difficult thing I’ve done in my life’ as there was ‘only so much drink you can get into your body’."
Total lightweight, absolute disgrace and he freely admits to it!
He may as well have sat at home and drank water for 24 hours. :roll:
Man Submits 24-Hour Pub Crawl For The Guinness World Record
A Cambridgeshire man is hoping he has set a new world record for the most prolific pub crawl.
Matt Ellis of St Neots, Cambridgeshire, could be the first man to obtain the solo Guinness World Record for the most amount of pubs visited in a 24-hour period.
As per the Morning Advertiser, Ellis’ pub crawl took him eight hours, 32 minutes and 37 seconds to complete, travelling a distance of around 15km during his crawl.
According to the Guinness World Records rules, Ellis had to visit a minimum of 50 pubs during a 24-hour period and consume 125ml of any drink at each one to be in with a chance of becoming the new world record holder, with every drink along the way needing to be verified by pub staff.
BBC News reports that Ellis, who mostly stuck to soft drinks during his attempt to set a new world record, said it was ‘probably the most difficult thing I’ve done in my life’ as there was ‘only so much drink you can get into your body’.
Hoping to raise awareness of the difficulty the pub industry has faced during the Covid-19 pandemic, Ellis made it to a grand total of 51 pubs on his epic crawl.
He said: ‘It was all about the joy of pubs and the people you meet.
‘Pubs over the last 18 months have had a very difficult time. I am a big fan of pubs – the contribution they make to our society and the camaraderie you can enjoy in them.’
There is no current holder for the record of visiting the most pubs in a 24 hour period, so if Ellis’ attempt is successfully verified he will officially become a Guinness World Record holder and be recognised as the world’s greatest individual pub crawler.
The world record for the most pubs visited in 24 hours by a group was set in 2011 when a team of 13 people made it to 250 pubs in New York.
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

How a 20-handicapper Irish golfer shot a hole in one and an albatross in one round !
https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gol ... 82744.html
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

https://twitter.com/rainmaker1973/statu ... 38690?s=21

Thread showing the recent volcanic eruption in Tonga including shockwave
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

just saw this down in Shelbyville:
I just saw this in the Indo.

Dead man ‘propped up by two other men in attempt collect pension at post office’
Gardai investigating shocking incident in Carlow

A dead man was brought to a post office this morning in an attempt to collect his pension in one of the most bizarre incidents that gardaí have ever seen.
The shocking incident in which the deceased male was propped up by two other men happened at the post office on Staplestown Road in Carlow town.
Staff at the post office immediately became suspicious and contacted emergency services and gardaí rushed to the scene.
No money was handed over and it is understood that the deceased man is well known to the two men who moved his body.
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:just saw this down in Shelbyville:
I just saw this in the Indo.

Dead man ‘propped up by two other men in attempt collect pension at post office’
Gardai investigating shocking incident in Carlow

A dead man was brought to a post office this morning in an attempt to collect his pension in one of the most bizarre incidents that gardaí have ever seen.
The shocking incident in which the deceased male was propped up by two other men happened at the post office on Staplestown Road in Carlow town.
Staff at the post office immediately became suspicious and contacted emergency services and gardaí rushed to the scene.
No money was handed over and it is understood that the deceased man is well known to the two men who moved his body.
"Weekend at Bernie's" springs to mind.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Absolutely hate altered format of The42/rugby with my rugby news jumbled between random news items. If they continue with that format of WEIRD NEWS, I'll find something else as my goto rugby source.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Ruckedtobits wrote: January 28th, 2022, 4:51 pm Absolutely hate altered format of The42/rugby with my rugby news jumbled between random news items. If they continue with that format of WEIRD NEWS, I'll find something else as my goto rugby source.
yeah, definite downgrade
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Dog shoots, kills owner in freak accident during hunting trip in Kansas
https://globalnews.ca/news/9436254/dog- ... eph-smith/

Sandy Hook didn't make them stop and think, maybe this will.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

blockhead wrote: January 25th, 2023, 9:06 pm

Domestic Terrierism!
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

paddyor wrote: January 26th, 2023, 12:18 pm
blockhead wrote: January 25th, 2023, 9:06 pm

Domestic Terrierism!
Best Dad Joke of 2023 paddy.
I suppose its a new breed of Gundog.
Jack the Russell?
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41070338.html

I know i shouldn't, but I wonder if the guards suspect fowl play.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

New Zealand feral cat-killing competition for children axed after backlash :roll:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-65320162

The snowflake/wokerarty/treehuggin/lattedrinkin/veganlovers are at it again!
The World has gone mad!
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

If you're a fan of current affairs and/or politics, the current situation in Britain is interesting to say the least. God, they're a shambles over there.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am