Sat Nav Advice

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Sat Nav Advice

Post by mikey »

I need to get my dad a Sat Nav - mainly so he can navigate from Southern Spain to Castres for the match next weekend!! - he's not great with technology so I need something thats easy to use (although i'll set it up here then ship it to him). Needs to have Bluetooth for his phone as I dont want him tempted to try and use his phone in his hand. Any suggestions - currently its a toss up between TomTom 1005 HDT and a Garmin 2595LM. I've only had built in Navs in my car so have never bought a separate unit.
sforan
Bookworm

Re: Sat Nav Advice

Post by sforan »

What sort of phone does he have? There's some pretty decent apps available for the iPhone (and I'd assume Android too). I've used Navigon on the iPhone in Ireland and Italy with no issues. The app, car mount and charger would work out cheaper than a standalone unit.

Used to have a standalone Garmin but it was a pain to update maps etc (but this was 10 years ago and I assume it's gotten better since).
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

sforan wrote:What sort of phone does he have? There's some pretty decent apps available for the iPhone (and I'd assume Android too). I've used Navigon on the iPhone in Ireland and Italy with no issues. The app, car mount and charger would work out cheaper than a standalone unit.

Used to have a standalone Garmin but it was a pain to update maps etc (but this was 10 years ago and I assume it's gotten better since).
Sadly his phone is a rather ancient Samsung m300 with Bluetooth so app's is a non starter......
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

I got a fairly basic TomTom for something similar in France about 5 years ago (before offline Google Maps). Becasue it is fairly standard roads / motorways I would say close to bottom of the range will be fine - the only thing is that you will need to buy the western europe map update for the unit as it will ship here with UK / Ireland. But it's fairly easy to do on-line. You can even set up his current address and the destination in France before you ship it over to him
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
sforan
Bookworm

Post by sforan »

I'm afraid I'm not much use to you then. Had a quick look at the two units you mentioned and I don't think you'll go far wrong with either (the main difference is price and I'm not sure the Garmin comes with a car charger)
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Sorry - should have added - most of them plug into the lighter socket in the car and stick to the windscreen - so not sure you need a connection to the phone at all - it's quite "heads up" - and they speak the instructions so saves having to look at them much (though it's annoying to be honest)
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

Thanks all - i'll brave the shops tomorrow and just get 1 or other of the units I referenced - i'm a nightmare when I buy tech as I have a tendency to over analyse things!!!! I'm leaning toward the TomTom as the Garmin site is not listing the Samsung as compatible on Bluetooth - mind you I cant find any reference to which ones the TomTom support at all!!!
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

As with The Doc, I have a basic TomTom and have had the same unit for about 5 years.

It originally came with W Europe but one update made the map too big so now I can toggle between Ire/UK & Europe. Fairly simple to use, but you do need to have a little cop on.
Get in the f%~king bag.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

mikey wrote:Thanks all - i'll brave the shops tomorrow and just get 1 or other of the units I referenced - i'm a nightmare when I buy tech as I have a tendency to over analyse things!!!! I'm leaning toward the TomTom as the Garmin site is not listing the Samsung as compatible on Bluetooth - mind you I cant find any reference to which ones the TomTom support at all!!!
Looking at the model you mention (and your reference to pairing with phones) you seem to be going down the route of a Sat Nav with live updating of traffic info. Unless you Dad plans to use the Sat Nav extensively I would go for the more basic standalone models and cut the price in half - it's unlikely the traffic updates are going to make that much difference on the trip - also means you don't have to shell out for a seperate SIM or for data use on the phone SIM (given he is crossing borders)

This one is €110 as opposed to €230 for the one you mentioned
http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/part ... AT+NAV.htm
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I was wondering what the hell he needed to pair the phone to it for. Thought it might be hands free or something. Didn't make any sense.
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

johng wrote:I was wondering what the hell he needed to pair the phone to it for. Thought it might be hands free or something. Didn't make any sense.
For handsfree use - exactly - certainly the traffic updates wont be of use, but i want him to be able take calls in the car, or make them easily without picking the handset up - i'll check out the other model though Doc - but not sure if thats got Bluetooth for hands free (but maybe theres another way to get that working for him)
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I had a garmin but the maps were a hassle. Good yoke though. The built in navigation on Android is grand and I have not used my garmin in years. Having said that It would need data roaming in a foreign country so not ideal cost wise.

Would it not be cheaper to get a train ticket for him? (Or even plane)
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

johng wrote:I had a garmin but the maps were a hassle. Good yoke though. The built in navigation on Android is grand and I have not used my garmin in years. Having said that It would need data roaming in a foreign country so not ideal cost wise.

Would it not be cheaper to get a train ticket for him? (Or even plane)
believe me i've looked - train would mean 2 overnight stops 1 each way for him to be able to get on the Barcelona Paris train - and he's 6 hours from there with local trains not really an option.

cant see any flights from his area of Spain to South of France either - Alicante or Valencia.

For the Ireland France game he can fly to Paris, so that works, but for this, car looks to be the only way!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

If I was his age I think I'd just leave it. :)
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

I've used both Tom Tom and Garmin, preferred Tom Tom. Easier to update maps, and if there is something like an illegal right turn which isn't part of the map, you can save that amendment to your map (and download similar amendments from others online, if you like).

No idea about linking to phone, though.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

mikey wrote:I need to get my dad a Sat Nav - mainly so he can navigate from Southern Spain to Castres for the match next weekend!! - he's not great with technology so I need something thats easy to use (although i'll set it up here then ship it to him). Needs to have Bluetooth for his phone as I dont want him tempted to try and use his phone in his hand. Any suggestions - currently its a toss up between TomTom 1005 HDT and a Garmin 2595LM. I've only had built in Navs in my car so have never bought a separate unit.
If he can get to Toulouse and then Castres by following the signage he should be ok to find the stadium.
Castres is not that big. There is a car park at the bus station (centre ville) and a few places to eat close by.
It's about a ten minute walk to the stadium. Just bring a google map or follow the crowd.
His biggest problems will be getting to the station and getting back onto the Toulouse road again especially as it'll be getting dark unless he plans to stay overnight.
One thing, don't try the (shortest by distance) over the mountain route, it's a nightmare even in daylight.
I did it a few years ago when we played Castres away and a bit more recently in the summer. It was a mare both times. I'm going via Toulouse this time.
I'd go with a TomTom over a Garmin but a decent mobile is a better option.
I bought my first ever mobile about two months ago and it has sat nav on it. All I have to do is download the google maps in advance and it works offline after that. If there is the dreaded deter well then Houston you have a problem.
Hope he enjoys the trip. :wink:
One other thing he'd be better buying the sat nav himself. That way he'll get the europe maps free.
I bought a Garmin in Belgium a long time ago and got the UK and Ireland maps along with the European maps.
Buying in Ireland, well the phrase rip off Ireland comes to mind.
Do your homework and tell him which one to buy.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

Oldschool wrote:
mikey wrote:I need to get my dad a Sat Nav - mainly so he can navigate from Southern Spain to Castres for the match next weekend!! - he's not great with technology so I need something thats easy to use (although i'll set it up here then ship it to him). Needs to have Bluetooth for his phone as I dont want him tempted to try and use his phone in his hand. Any suggestions - currently its a toss up between TomTom 1005 HDT and a Garmin 2595LM. I've only had built in Navs in my car so have never bought a separate unit.
If he can get to Toulouse and then Castres by following the signage he should be ok to find the stadium.
Castres is not that big. There is a car park at the bus station (centre ville) and a few places to eat close by.
It's about a ten minute walk to the stadium. Just bring a google map or follow the crowd.
His biggest problems will be getting to the station and getting back onto the Toulouse road again especially as it'll be getting dark unless he plans to stay overnight.
One thing, don't try the (shortest by distance) over the mountain route, it's a nightmare even in daylight.
I did it a few years ago when we played Castres away and a bit more recently in the summer. It was a mare both times. I'm going via Toulouse this time.
I'd go with a TomTom over a Garmin but a decent mobile is a better option.
I bought my first ever mobile about two months ago and it has sat nav on it. All I have to do is download the google maps in advance and it works offline after that. If there is the dreaded deter well then Houston you have a problem.
Hope he enjoys the trip. :wink:
One other thing he'd be better buying the sat nav himself. That way he'll get the europe maps free.
I bought a Garmin in Belgium a long time ago and got the UK and Ireland maps along with the European maps.
Buying in Ireland, well the phrase rip off Ireland comes to mind.
Do your homework and tell him which one to buy.
I know the mountain road from Carcassonne to Castres quite well as we have a place at the base of the Montangne Noir in the MInervois - My Dad will come to ours first on the Friday so that will take some of the hassle out of getting to Castres anyhow. Saying we know the road, we know how dangerous it is in fact as we were hit head on by an idiot on the wrong side of the road - totalled the front of the hire car and put my wife and I in hospital - we probably wont go that way this time!!!!

Thanks for all the help! - will you be at the match??
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

mikey wrote: I know the mountain road from Carcassonne to Castres quite well as we have a place at the base of the Montangne Noir in the MInervois - My Dad will come to ours first on the Friday so that will take some of the hassle out of getting to Castres anyhow. Saying we know the road, we know how dangerous it is in fact as we were hit head on by an idiot on the wrong side of the road - totalled the front of the hire car and put my wife and I in hospital - we probably wont go that way this time!!!!

Thanks for all the help! - will you be at the match??
Hope it works out.
I'm planning to be there but no sign of tickets yet. It looks like it's going to be cold too.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.