Techy advice needed

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

sforan
Bookworm

Re: Techy advice needed

Post by sforan »

I haven't received my invites yet but as soon as I do I'll post here.
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

I'll also have another few to send out later from Mrs NC6000's account.
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

The Doc wrote: I'd be interested - I've registered for it but not got one yet - appreciated

Also interested to know people's reactions to it
Slipper1 wrote:
I'll go for one of those too if there are spares.
Can you PM me your email addresses?
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

nc6000 wrote:
The Doc wrote: I'd be interested - I've registered for it but not got one yet - appreciated

Also interested to know people's reactions to it
Slipper1 wrote:
I'll go for one of those too if there are spares.
Can you PM me your email addresses?
I got Inbox last night in the latest wave - timely. But thanks anyway
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
sforan
Bookworm

Post by sforan »

My invites arrived so pm your address if you want one.
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

I would like to email a 650mb file. I would prefer to compress it in some way.

My Mac has a 'compress' function which turns my 650mb file into a 629mb file which really isn't worth didlly squat to me.

Is there another way? am I limited to 3rd party software to .zip (the correct term?) it enough to allow me to email it without shutting down my system for hours?

Thanking you in advance.
Get in the f%~king bag.
waterboy
Graduate

Post by waterboy »

For something that big you're probably best uploading it to a cloud service like dropbox or OneDrive and then sharing it whomever you need to provide access to it and they can download it
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

Not really (7z is another format that night squeeze a few more MBs out of it but that's all). Some file formats are already efficient/not very compressable (like mp4 video). Either way don't email a file of that size; upload it to cloud storage (e.g. Dropbox) and send a link to it instead. Email well add to the file size (even 10%+), and will cause problems at every server along its delivery path!
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

it is an MP4 video.

Thanks - I have a dropbox account.

If I lash it in there then send the link to someone, they then follow the link and can can d/load, but I assume they only have access to that specific item?

I wouldn't want anyone seeing my 'special' files....
Get in the f%~king bag.
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

In your scenario what I do is copy file to a private folder within my DB folder (i.e. Not in the Public folder) and right-click to generate a share/public link. It's a random link so is "almost private" (but could be guessed in rare circumstances or shared by the person you're sending the link to). Like how Google Docs work (and as secure as sharing a GDoc).

Alternatively, if you know they have a DB account too, you can share it to that account only, but that's not as easy.
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

meinster wrote:In your scenario what I do is copy file to a private folder within my DB folder (i.e. Not in the Public folder) and right-click to generate a share/public link. It's a random link so is "almost private" (but could be guessed in rare circumstances or shared by the person you're sending the link to). Like how Google Docs work (and as secure as sharing a GDoc).

Alternatively, if you know they have a DB account too, you can share it to that account only, but that's not as easy.
Excellent, I'll do that. Thanks.
Get in the f%~king bag.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Not sure if this is the right thread but thought I'd resurrect it. Thinking of upgrading the old telly and wondering what people who enjoy their sport such as the good folk on here might recommend. I'm tempted by some of the UHD 4K offerings especially one or two of the Samsung ones in the 55"+ bracket but is it worth spending the extra sponds to go UHD.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

TerenureJim wrote:Not sure if this is the right thread but thought I'd resurrect it. Thinking of upgrading the old telly and wondering what people who enjoy their sport such as the good folk on here might recommend. I'm tempted by some of the UHD 4K offerings especially one or two of the Samsung ones in the 55"+ bracket but is it worth spending the extra sponds to go UHD.
I got a Samsung UHD 40" a couple of weeks back. Superb clarity and colour compared to my old TV. I should point out that I only bought it because there was £200 knocked off.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

TerenureJim wrote:Not sure if this is the right thread but thought I'd resurrect it. Thinking of upgrading the old telly and wondering what people who enjoy their sport such as the good folk on here might recommend. I'm tempted by some of the UHD 4K offerings especially one or two of the Samsung ones in the 55"+ bracket but is it worth spending the extra sponds to go UHD.
Samsung and LG are putting out the most affordable stuff. Don't jump for sale value (particularly some of the Panasonic stuff- a lot of which is built for commercial use I.e. nothing but sky news/CNN). You're looking for a telly with a high refresh rate, 4k is f'all use if it can't refresh at the rate the picture is moving.
Wrt to 4k specifically, no media outlet is broadcasting in 4k so it's a bit of a moot point.

When your shopping ask the shop TV sales assistant to go to YouTube on each TV your interested in and search for 4k content. Watch a couple of those Vids (do your research before you get there. None of that landscape Shite it's fast moving complex back, middle and foreground you want - like sport).
Finally bring your HD RE-release of 1989 Batman and play that on each. Your looking for color depth here, the intro is about 4 billion shades of black, no TV will do this perfectly, but you will see the difference.
€1100 should be the upper limit for that kind of TV.

All TV's should have flat screens and not require any accessories to view content.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Peg Leg wrote: Samsung and LG are putting out the most affordable stuff. Don't jump for sale value (particularly some of the Panasonic stuff- a lot of which is built for commercial use I.e. nothing but sky news/CNN). You're looking for a telly with a high refresh rate, 4k is f'all use if it can't refresh at the rate the picture is moving.
Wrt to 4k specifically, no media outlet is broadcasting in 4k so it's a bit of a moot point.

When your shopping ask the shop TV sales assistant to go to YouTube on each TV your interested in and search for 4k content. Watch a couple of those Vids (do your research before you get there. None of that landscape Shite it's fast moving complex back, middle and foreground you want - like sport).
Finally bring your HD RE-release of 1989 Batman and play that on each. Your looking for color depth here, the intro is about 4 billion shades of black, no TV will do this perfectly, but you will see the difference.

All TV's should have flat screens and not require any accessories to view content.
I don't understand three of those paragraphs PL.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

domhnallj wrote:
Peg Leg wrote: Samsung and LG are putting out the most affordable stuff. Don't jump for sale value (particularly some of the Panasonic stuff- a lot of which is built for commercial use I.e. nothing but sky news/CNN). You're looking for a telly with a high refresh rate, 4k is f'all use if it can't refresh at the rate the picture is moving.

I don't understand three of those paragraphs PL.
4k/UHD (Ultra-HD) is the resolution (measure of pixels)-

TV Sales assistant

WRT- With Regard To
1989- you mightn't remember that one, we said hi to W, bye to Ted Bundy, Hillsborough, Tiananmen square, hippies ruined stonehenge,Seinfeld, Charlie Haughey, The wall came down, Sergio Leone died.
Batman- The Dark Knight/ The Hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now.
€- the Euro, a currency used in the free world
Some people like to wear non-prescription glasses and bent TV's
Last edited by Peg Leg on December 12th, 2016, 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Daniel Sullivan
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Peg Leg wrote: Some people like to wear non-prescription glasses and bent TV's
:D Sky threw a wad of cash at one of my colleagues here (a vision scientist) to try and come up with a solution to 3D viewing that didn't leave the viewer blind after a week. They banked on this as their new cash cow I think - not sure it quite worked out.

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

domhnallj wrote:
:D Sky threw a wad of cash at one of my colleagues here (a vision scientist) to try and come up with a solution to 3D viewing that didn't leave the viewer blind after a week. They banked on this as their new cash cow I think - not sure it quite worked out.
Now edited for the elderly/scholarly
Daniel Sullivan
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Peg Leg wrote:
domhnallj wrote:
Now edited for the elderly/scholarly
Thanks

Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Christopher Nolan: "The question of 3-D is a very straightforward one. I never meet anybody who actually likes the format, and it’s always a source of great concern to me when you’re charging a higher price for something that nobody seems to really say they have any great love for."

Guessing he's never met Spielberg