British Royal Visit

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

British Royal Visit

Post by TerenureJim »

Not sure if there's already a thread on this and to be honest I've no feelings either way regarding the visit, it's no more interesting than Rainer from Monaco coming over earlier in the year but I was reading the Irish Times (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 52577.html) this morning and noted this with interest:

"Officers on foot will stop and search people and those questioned will be asked to indicate their destination. Checkpoints will also be set up and motorists will be questioned. Road users will also be asked to explain the purpose of their journey."

Can anyone out there tell me if it's legal for the Garda to stop, question and demand to search you? I appreciate the security concerns due to a fair few insane people being out and about there (Eirigi Og j'accuse) but this seems a tad draconian and messes with my good buzz about living in an overall tolerent and liberal democratic republic. Seems a tad OTT to be getting the Gardaí to carry out this type of action.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Re: British Royal Visit

Post by deco »

TerenureJim wrote:Not sure if there's already a thread on this and to be honest I've no feelings either way regarding the visit, it's no more interesting than Rainer from Monaco coming over earlier in the year but I was reading the Irish Times (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 52577.html) this morning and noted this with interest:

"Officers on foot will stop and search people and those questioned will be asked to indicate their destination. Checkpoints will also be set up and motorists will be questioned. Road users will also be asked to explain the purpose of their journey."

Can anyone out there tell me if it's legal for the Garda to stop, question and demand to search you? I appreciate the security concerns due to a fair few insane people being out and about there (Eirigi Og j'accuse) but this seems a tad draconian and messes with my good buzz about living in an overall tolerent and liberal democratic republic. Seems a tad OTT to be getting the Gardaí to carry out this type of action.
Astonished and dismayed by this. We are not supposed to be a police state. The "If you've nothing to hide, then you've nothing to fear" argument doesn't make me feel any better about the erosion of our civil liberties.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
brummie-leinster-man
Enlightened

Post by brummie-leinster-man »

Thats what its like in England now since the bloody terrorism act was passed. The police here have the power to stop and search anybody they wish and detain them without charge for something like 72hrs. Its a bloody joke!

Since the yanks put out all that bullshit about killing Bin Laden the whole world is bracing for retaliation which inevitably makes every single man, woman and child a terror suspect.
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

No problem with this at all. If it means that we can safely return her to her own shores untouched having had a wonderfully pleasant time in Ireland i would be relieved.

As regards the Gardai stopping and randomly searching enquiring as to behaviour I’m in complete agreement. I wish they continued to do more of it in fact. It just might lower our petty/ moderate / serious crime rate if the usual perpetrators had their lives made more difficult.

I’m in no doubt whatsoever that the people that the Guards are looking out for are people that society will be more than thankful for keeping them away from proceedings. If you’re doing nothing wrong and carrying nothing, you’ll have nothing to fear. I can never understand how such a simple enquiry is deemed to be such an erosion of civil liberties afterall we permit the Gardai to serve and enforce, with our consent.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
Smeehank
Graduate

Post by Smeehank »

I'm sure the searches will be "random" in so far as the Gardai will be able to search people looking dodgy on the basis that it is "random". I'm sure most people won't have their normal routine interupted (bar of course the fact that they cannot drive anywhere)

If people were planning on going out and causing trouble the announcement of random searches and checkpoints may act as a deterrent
aisling7
Rhys Ruddock

Post by aisling7 »

All I know is, it's going to be an absolute pain in the ass getting around town next week.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Smeehank wrote:..... people looking dodgy on the basis that it is "random"......
Please define people looking dodgy? Not that I own one but if I decided to wear a Celtic jersey on a stroll around town does that mean I should be stopped at random and subjected to questioning and a search by the Garda?

I know the Garda will act with due care and in a fair manner but this just reads wrong to me. Something about it just doesn't sit right.
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

aisling7 wrote:All I know is, it's going to be an absolute pain in the ass getting around town next week.

This
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

TerenureJim wrote:
Smeehank wrote:..... people looking dodgy on the basis that it is "random"......
Please define people looking dodgy? Not that I own one but if I decided to wear a Celtic jersey on a stroll around town does that mean I should be stopped at random and subjected to questioning and a search by the Garda?

I know the Garda will act with due care and in a fair manner but this just reads wrong to me. Something about it just doesn't sit right.
What's wrong here? People are using the word "Random" correctly. :shock: Next thing they will be using the word "Regular" to mean "something that happens at the same interval each time" :roll:
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

aisling7 wrote:All I know is, it's going to be an absolute pain in the ass getting around town next week.
Never a truer word. Certainly if your job necessitates flittin' around town you could fairly write off next week by the looks of it.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Mackman15 wrote:If you’re doing nothing wrong and carrying nothing, you’ll have nothing to fear.
See? I told yiz this brigade would be on :(
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

If you are a member of RSF or Éirigí or the likes or if you are known to the gardaí from your involvment in chucking things around O'Connell St. when the Ulstermen came to march then you will be stopped and searched repeatedly until you give up and go home.

If you're an ordinary citizen going about your business you may be looked at but otherwise ignored.

The garda have the right to stop and search people already. I see them doing it to junkie scum on Abbey St all the time. They also have the right to ask you your name, address and destination. They even have the right to tell you to leave and area and arrest you if you refuse. These are not new powers.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Broken Wing wrote:The garda have the right to stop and search people already
Yes but isn't this only if they have formed the opinion that you have comitted a criminal offence? Random questioning and searches just sounds different and somewhat wrong. Like I say I know the practical realities, just wondering about peoples opinions on rights etc.
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

deco wrote:
Mackman15 wrote:If you’re doing nothing wrong and carrying nothing, you’ll have nothing to fear.
See? I told yiz this brigade would be on :(
Brigade .............. Nice.

I assume the next time that you step on a plane you'll be happier in the knowledge that everyone else has been through a security check and had their bag x-ray'd. From my POV i see this as no greater an intervention. If it keeps President Obama (or the Queen) alive while on our shores i have no difficulty with such security measures.

I accept that they'll be a pain in the arse but i would submit to them for the sake of their well being.
I have no time for the type of people that would intend on causing harm either on these occasions or indeed at any other time.

Just can't see where the astonishment arises from.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Got an email in work about this. . . noticed she is going to Cork whilst she is over. . .luckly old Lizzy!

Wonder if she'll get to call in somewhere for a pint at some stage. . .

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2011/03/13/the ... ew-dublin/
brummie-leinster-man
Enlightened

Mackman15 wrote:
I assume the next time that you step on a plane you'll be happier in the knowledge that everyone else has been through a security check and had their bag x-ray'd.
and thankfully had their hand creams, lighters and nail clippers confiscated and their private parts scanned and displayed on a screen to a total stranger just to be sure......
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

brummie-leinster-man wrote:
Mackman15 wrote:
I assume the next time that you step on a plane you'll be happier in the knowledge that everyone else has been through a security check and had their bag x-ray'd.
and thankfully had their hand creams, lighters and nail clippers confiscated and their private parts scanned and displayed on a screen to a total stranger just to be sure......
Security theatre. It makes you think that you're safer.

And much more importantly they make you go to the airport earlier to avail of far more retail opportunities. I saw a figure in a book (The harvard design school project on the city's guide to shopping if you're interested) a few years ago, they claimed the take per square meter in airports was 1000% of the take on the high street. That's what it's about.
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

fourthirtythree wrote:
Mackman15 wrote:

And much more importantly they make you go to the airport earlier to avail of far more retail opportunities. I saw a figure in a book (The harvard design school project on the city's guide to shopping if you're interested) a few years ago, they claimed the take per square meter in airports was 1000% of the take on the high street. That's what it's about.
At many Airports these days the first thing you encounter after security is the Shopping Area. At East Midlands and Manchester you have to walk through the shops to get to the gates, you cannot avoid them. Doesn't worry me as i find them a rip off, so i don't buy.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

fourthirtythree wrote: Security theatre. It makes you think that you're safer.

Somewhat like Pubs and Ulster Matches as was suggested elsewhere, just because you go to an airport does not mean that you have to spend a fortune in the shops .......
brummie-leinster-man
Enlightened

fourthirtythree wrote:
Mackman15 wrote:

There is a point there but I dont think all these stupid measures were put on place just for the benefit of the shops. The scanners they have in UK airports cost quite a bit of money and I dont think they were put there just so WH Smiths can sell more books. Its all just part of the bigger picture...the 'Big Brother' system that's taking over