British Royal Visit

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Re: British Royal Visit

Post by olaf the fat »

Brummie, a protest with out media attention is kind of missing the point!
The people that organise these protests dont think that the Queen, Obama, Governments will acknowledge them or achieve anything, unless they can get on Sky, Cnn, BBC News and so on.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
brummie-leinster-man
Enlightened

Post by brummie-leinster-man »

Peg Leg wrote: This I agree with and it is right to seek to be heard by the pro/antagonist, but I think a major part of protest is to get your opinion out to like-minded people who may wish to learn more (that's more along the lines of what I was thinking).
This is a good point actually. I'll give you that one :)

The trouble there is the 'colouring' that the media will put on the protest. I.E. the only protests we were shown on British TV were the ones that kicked off. I didn't even know that there were successfully peaceful protests held yesterday until I read the article linked above!
brummie-leinster-man
Enlightened

olaf the fat wrote:Brummie, a protest with out media attention is kind of missing the point!
The people that organise these protests dont think that the Queen, Obama, Governments will acknowledge them or achieve anything, unless they can get on Sky, Cnn, BBC News and so on.
Wrong.

Lots of protests happen in lots of places with zero media attention whatsoever
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

One thing - President McAlessee is playing an absolute blinder

That is all
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
Benji
Knowledgeable

Post by Benji »

Ya the President is doing great. Fair play to her for inviting Betty and minding her.
Some serious nut jobs protesting yesterday.
Hope she gets home safe and thats theirs less trouble today
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

brummie-leinster-man wrote:
olaf the fat wrote:Brummie, a protest with out media attention is kind of missing the point!
Wrong.

Right.

But most with little effect.
Jackie Brown
Knowledgeable

Post by Jackie Brown »

I see Peter Robinson was in attendance today but no sign of wee Marty. Sinn Fein are getting left behind in all this.
STAND UP FOR THE ULSTERMEN!
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

olaf the fat wrote:
Wrong.

Right.

But most with little effect.
I agree with Brummie on this one.

The media focused solely on the Plastic Provo's protest on Dorset Street, that was backed up by gurriers from Hardwicke Street and Summerhill flats.

The media wants nothing more than the "sexy" pictures of conflict. Peaceful demo's in the city centre were not covered.

Take the protests in London in the past month. A peaceful protest involving 100's of thousands, and what did the media focus on ? A riot involving a few hundred which was not part of the overall march. The main message of the day was diluted (probably deliberately) by the media.

The key issue with the current visit, is that there are a minority of headbangers out there. There are also a minority who have been granted access to HM. Most of the population of this city are either not allowed the privilege of access, don't really care, are too busy with other things, or are just badly inconvenienced by the visit.

From my perspective, May 25th can't come soon enough. Soul II Soul "Back to Life"
T - 45
brummie-leinster-man
Enlightened

CRAZYDAVE wrote:[

Christ that's a first! :lol:

You actually made the exact same point I was going to make RE the protests in London a few weeks back. Yes there were about 100 or so who caused trouble. That leaves 400,900 (approx) who protested peacefully but didn't get a mention in the following days fish wrap.

Same with the student protests recently.

Same with Dublin yesterday.

The media is not a friend of the protester
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

You actually made the exact same point I was going to make RE the protests in London a few weeks back. Yes there were about 100 or so who caused trouble. That leaves 400,900 (approx) who protested peacefully but didn't get a mention in the following days fish wrap.

The media is not a friend of the Peaceful protester
:wink:
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Leinster Exile
Mullet

Post by Leinster Exile »

Jackie Brown wrote:I see Peter Robinson was in attendance today but no sign of wee Marty. Sinn Fein are getting left behind in all this.
Edit ** Misread that. My post made no sense as a consequence
brummie-leinster-man
Enlightened

Peg Leg wrote:

The media is not a friend of the Peaceful protester
:wink:
Correctly corrected!

olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

The media is not a friend of the protester
I understand what you are saying, and do agree with the peaceful protest Vs. riot thinking, but if nobody knows you are protesting are you actually protesting?

I do beleive that most people who arrange protests do intend for maxium media exposure to highlight their agenda - especially these "eirigi" types. These guys go out with the intent of rioting to get on Sky to legitimise themselves, I bet they see the "love Ulster parade" as a success and England V Ireland Croke park protest as a failure.

I dont agree with their way of thinking or their rioting, in fact I'd have major issuses with it as a disrespect to our nation and President let alone our visitors!

BTW I am quite happy to have an offical state visit from our nearst neighbours, but I am glad I dont live or work in town this week.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Are these idiots the same rent-a-mob that protested outside Croke Park before the 6N game against England in 07?
Dont Panic!
brummie-leinster-man
Enlightened

but if nobody knows you are protesting are you actually protesting?
If a tree in a forest falls down and there's nobody there to hear it does it still make a sound?

Put it this way, lets say that all you need to make a protest is a bit of exposure in the media. Why would you then travel anywhere?

Lets organise a protest, based solely on media exposure, against the congestion charges in London (for example) that were put in place by the Lord Mayor. Now all we need is Sky News and we don't need to travel so lets just go to the field down the road and get as many people as we can to join in. Now the camera's are rolling we just need to hope the Lord Mayor has his telly on so he can see us. Once he has enough he can turn his telly off and go about his day. We're now being completely ignored by the person we're protesting against but its ok because people know we're there............ Not very effective!

OR

Lets get as many people as we can to travel to London to protest outside the Lord Mayors offices. The media haven't turned up yet but the mayor is looking out of his window at a group of people who are not happy with his decision. We're there all day so he cant ignore us and cant leave to go home without facing us and listening to what we have to say. Lets say the media never show and its not reported on that evenings news. It doesn't matter because the person who made the decision has heard our argument..........more effective.

To me, that's the point of doing it
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Brummie, I reckon between us we'd organise one hell of a protest!

Or if you dont fancy the congestion charge in London, do what Lizzie did - come to Dublin :wink:
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

but if nobody knows you are protesting are you actually protesting?
If a tree in a forest falls down and there's nobody there to hear it does it still make a sound?

Put it this way, lets say that all you need to make a protest is a bit of exposure in the media. Why would you then travel anywhere?

Lets organise a protest, based solely on media exposure, against the congestion charges in London (for example) that were put in place by the Lord Mayor. Now all we need is Sky News and we don't need to travel so lets just go to the field down the road and get as many people as we can to join in. Now the camera's are rolling we just need to hope the Lord Mayor has his telly on so he can see us. Once he has enough he can turn his telly off and go about his day. We're now being completely ignored by the person we're protesting against but its ok because people know we're there............ Not very effective!

OR

Lets get as many people as we can to travel to London to protest outside the Lord Mayors offices. The media haven't turned up yet but the mayor is looking out of his window at a group of people who are not happy with his decision. We're there all day so he cant ignore us and cant leave to go home without facing us and listening to what we have to say. Lets say the media never show and its not reported on that evenings news. It doesn't matter because the person who made the decision has heard our argument..........more effective.

To me, that's the point of doing it
OR

You turn on a video camera and record yourself doing something offensive, like maybe burning a biblical book. Sit back and..... oh no wait we might actually be arguing about two different things.
Protest Vs Incitement to hatred.

Anyway, I am really happy that all has gone well thus far. Pity about the media agenda.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
brummie-leinster-man
Enlightened

olaf the fat wrote:Brummie, I reckon between us we'd organise one hell of a protest!

Or if you dont fancy the congestion charge in London, do what Lizzie did - come to Dublin :wink:
Haha, I'd love to! I was born there but never lived there (Newbridge, Kildare)

How about we just save our energy for supporting the boys on Saturday.....there'll be camera's there :wink:

:lol: :lol:
brummie-leinster-man
Enlightened

Peg Leg wrote:
OR

You turn on a video camera and record yourself doing something offensive, like maybe burning a biblical book. Sit back and..... oh no wait we might actually be arguing about two different things.
Protest Vs Incitement to hatred.

Anyway, I am really happy that all has gone well thus far. Pity about the media agenda.
Her Madge is actually doing a good job IMO. Stepping off the plane in an emerald green outfit, bowing her head in the garden of remembrance.... she know's how to work the crowd! :D
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Awkward stand off.

“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”