Leo Cullen

Leinsterfans.com Election Poll

Post by sheepshagger »

All vote now 8)
tate
Shane Horgan

Re: Leinsterfans.com Election Poll

Post by tate »

chose labour but im not entirely sure tbh. Disagree with a lot of policies of the big 3. Definitely too many to nail my flag to a particular post as being the best for the country. Change is what im going for atm
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
Skinfull
Mullet

Post by Skinfull »

Funny how loads have voted but none have posted. I've ticket who I would chose but seeing as I'll be out of the country my choice is redundant :(
"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!" - Kirk
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Brian Hayes (FG) is my local TD. Have spoken to him a few times, and also appreciate some of the stuff hes done locally. I'll probably stick with him.
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

Logorrhea wrote:Brian Hayes (FG) is my local TD. Have spoken to him a few times, and also appreciate some of the stuff hes done locally. I'll probably stick with him.
nothing personal mate, but isnt thinking local for national governance exactly what we shouldnt be doing?
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

tate wrote:
Logorrhea wrote:Brian Hayes (FG) is my local TD. Have spoken to him a few times, and also appreciate some of the stuff hes done locally. I'll probably stick with him.
nothing personal mate, but isnt thinking local for national governance exactly what we shouldnt be doing?
You are right, but thats how our system works isnt it? The alternative is to vote for the party first, and candidate second. Isnt that what re-elects FF year after year after year and also got us into this mess?

Look I dont profess to know much about politics but he is the one I've always been confident of voting for. He was one of the senior TDs with Bruton when they tried to move Kenny so hes no party crony and isnt afraid of change. I also prefer FG policies (from what I've heard) so I'd like them to lead the next government (with a healthy labour party).

The alternative is Labour. If Pat Rabbitte or Ruairi Quinn were party leader I'd consider voting Labour, and I'm looking forward to seeing those two in serious ministerial positions, but Gilmore as Taoiseach? I'm not convinced really.

Thats just how I feel. Maybe Gilmore will add a bit of flesh to his bluster so far. We will see.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

I hit the IND option with no idea of who my local indians are. Got home to a leaflet from this guy- Eric Doyle Higgins. I've never heard of him, but his mission statement (copied & pasted from http://ericdoylehiggins.wordpress.com/) tickles me in all the right places:

I PROMISE:

Never:-

• To call to your door seeking your vote;
• To accept so much as a single cent in “travel expenses”;
• To hold “clinics”;
• To attend a funeral save where the deceased was personally known to me;
• To fail to respond within a short interval to written communications whether by post or eMail;
• To make representations on behalf of any person seeking anything to which they are not entitled by law;
• To pursue the interests of Kildare North with indifference to the overall National Interest;
• Otherwise to engage in political gombeenism.

To seek to aid the formation of a Government resolutely disposed to:-

* Overcoming the massive economic difficulties now facing Ireland;
* Confronting sectional interests which militate against the fellowship of citizens;
* Adapting our laws so as to recognise the changed nature of Irish Society;
* Reforming our democratic institutions so that they will never again be rendered the plaything of dynastic career politicians for whom politics is merely a marketing exercise.

To make the maximum possible contribution to the legislative process.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

So Peggy.
From a middle east perspective. Are you a dulchie or a proper lillywhite? :)
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Peg Leg wrote:I hit the IND option with no idea of who my local indians are. Got home to a leaflet from this guy- Eric Doyle Higgins. I've never heard of him, but his mission statement (copied & pasted from http://ericdoylehiggins.wordpress.com/) tickles me in all the right places:

I PROMISE:

• To hold “clinics”;
• To fail to respond within a short interval to written communications whether by post or eMail;
• To make representations on behalf of any person seeking anything to which they are not entitled by law;
• To pursue the interests of Kildare North with indifference to the overall National Interest;

* Confronting sectional interests which militate against the fellowship of citizens;
* Reforming our democratic institutions so that they will never again be rendered the plaything of dynastic career politicians for whom politics is merely a marketing exercise.

I like him. I'd vote for that.
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Labour,tactically, Bacic #1, Gilmore #2.

Then depending on who goes FG, Boyd Barrett, SF, FF, Greens all the way down the paper!

Remember folks if you only vote 1 & 2 then your vote dies off pretty quickly
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Logorrhea wrote: You are right, but thats how our system works isnt it? The alternative is to vote for the party first, and candidate second. Isnt that what re-elects FF year after year after year and also got us into this mess?
I disagree: people vote for FF year after year, generation after generation because they have been in power (or the candidates father has been in power) and has engaged in gombeenism.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVRYzqvRtww

This is the kind of mentality we have to fight. Local government represents local issues, national does national issues. The focus on local is how FF have managed to be in power for most of the last 70 years without ever actually having policy. Their only real core value is to get power. They stand for nothing else. Look at Bertie, not a notion of political philosophy in his brain, but he was a fixer. Forever pulling strokes. See Ray Burke, Charlie McCreevy etc. etc.
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

Peg Leg wrote:I hit the IND option with no idea of who my local indians are. Got home to a leaflet from this guy- Eric Doyle Higgins. I've never heard of him, but his mission statement (copied & pasted from http://ericdoylehiggins.wordpress.com/) tickles me in all the right places:

I PROMISE:

• To hold “clinics”;

bualadh bos to that man. If he sticks to his word and we get a few more like him then who know we might actually get a few statesmen in the system

and you're right logorrhea, no idea how to stop it though. Unless of course this independent fellow follows through.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Eric Doyle Higgins wrote: I PROMISE:

I will vote for any party that promises to make Eric a minister of state in the department of foreign affairs (european affairs perhaps). Bankrupt within a week.

Sometimes expenses are entirely necessary and justified. Eric is just throwing out lowest common denominator cr@p.
I have Bumbleflex
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

johng wrote:So Peggy.
From a middle east perspective. Are you a dulchie or a proper lillywhite? :)
:lol: :lol:
I'm a royal living behind enemy lines :D
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
FatBoyChoice
Graduate

Post by FatBoyChoice »

FG. Have never voted for FF or FG before but FG strike me as most likely not to totally wreck the country. Labour, especially E Gilmore, drive me to distraction with their populist, soundbite driven sh1te, the Sinners are in a dream world and all Independents in my area are interested in is fixing potholes and housing single mothers.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Dave Cahill wrote:

I will vote for any party that promises to make Eric a minister of state in the department of foreign affairs (european affairs perhaps). Bankrupt within a week.

Sometimes expenses are entirely necessary and justified. Eric is just throwing out lowest common denominator cr@p.
I made a not unreasonable assumption that he meant for going to the Dáil which isn't an unreasonable promise. Reading his site he seems to have been a member of FF until recently which would actually mean I couldn't vote for him.
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

fourthirtythree wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:

I made a not unreasonable assumption that he meant for going to the Dáil which isn't an unreasonable promise. Reading his site he seems to have been a member of FF until recently which would actually mean I couldn't vote for him.
yup, i am also perusing his site and he proposes travel vouchers in lieu of cash for public transport and "dáil hotel" with some dining facilities for those who cant get home.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Sadly some people will still vote for those who can fix their potholes and provide a fast track passport renewal service :roll:

The only 2 options for me are FF or FG and at the moment FG ain't doing themselves any favours with the bitching and moaning at Labour. Its quite scary how FG and Labour are making a balls of their respective campaigns - not a great sample of how they'd run the country!
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Who the f**k am I supposed to vote for out of this shower of sh1te?

Fianna Fáil John Curran
Fine Gael Frances Fitzgerald
Fine Gael Derek Keating
Green Party Paul Gogarty
Labour Party Robert Dowds
Labour Party Joanna Tuffy
Sinn Féin Eoin Ó Broin
United Left Alliance Gino Kenny
United Left Alliance Robert Connolly
Workers' Party Mick Finnegan
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

sheepshagger wrote:Sadly some people will still vote for those who can fix their potholes and provide a fast track passport renewal service :roll:

The only 2 options for me are FF or FG and at the moment FG ain't doing themselves any favours with the bitching and moaning at Labour. Its quite scary how FG and Labour are making a balls of their respective campaigns - not a great sample of how they'd run the country!
If they can get what Healy-Rae and Lowery got, why not. Sometimes it's better to have an independent than a Government Minister, because then your local area sees some improvements as part of the buy out. The Celtic tiger bye passed some constituncies coz the Government thought they had safe seats. The 3-4 independents all propping up the Government, initially got deals. Gregory did the same in Dublin Central. Put Bertie's nose so far out of joint, he gave the constituency f%~k all except a big durty metal pole, during his terms as Tee-shock.
T - 45