General Election 2011

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Scott
Rhys Ruddock

General Election 2011

Post by Scott »

By the end of January
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Re: Greens call for General Election

Post by Broken Wing »

Cheerio! Cheerio! Cheerio!
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

From rte.ie

John Gormley calls for election date to be set

Updated: 11:54, Monday, 22 November 2010

Green Party Leader John Gormley has said a date for a General Election needs to be set for the New Year.
1 of 1

Green Party Leader John Gormley has said a date for a General Election needs to be set for the New Year.

He said the election must take place in the second half of January.

Mr Gormley said people felt mislead and betrayed and he said three things need to be done: produce a credible four-year plan, deliver a Budget for 2011, secure funding support from the EU and IMF.

The Minister for the Environment said the Government must fulfil these functions but political stability is needed.

He said he has informed the Taoiseach of the party's announcement and said the Green Party and its members have been disappointed and he said there is major disquiet in the party.

He said he spoke with the Taoiseach this morning about the issue.
I have Bumbleflex
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Well, well, well. Too late to save them I think.

They should pull out immediately.
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Broken Wing wrote:Cheerio! Cheerio! Cheerio!
Oh!! You're sooooo Soccer. :lol:
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Media whore Mary O'Rourke calls for a FF leadership debate in January and a General Election in February.

"Me too, me too!"
Last edited by Broken Wing on November 22nd, 2010, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

They done the decent thing and waited till the budget is passed. Very important that the budget is passed first and then feed them to the wolves!
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Armchair wrote:They done the decent thing and waited till the budget is passed.
Except they didn't.

The budget will be passed by the Dáil on December 7th. Then, based on the contents of the budget, a finance bill is drawn up. That finance bill goes before committees and is anaylsed by the likes of IBEC and the Institute for Taxation who make submissions on how things within that bill can and can't be done. When this process is finished the bill will finally become law sometime in March.

What this means is that, while drink, petrol and cigarette duty can go up on midnight December 7th, anything else within the budget can be changed.

FG and Labour would be happy to take over in March or April when, for example, the minimum wage has been changed because they can claim they had no say, it was FF/IMF/EU's fault. If they take over before the finance bill is passed they are in a position to undo any proposed changes so they'll have to share the responsibility.

Greens are either being very stupid and putting the budget under threat or very clever and passing the buck to the next government.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

sarah_lennon wrote: They should pull out immediately.

That's what she said.

I wonder will fianna fail have tha balls/ignorant bliss/stupidity to knock no peoples doors. I still laugh/cry when i think back (not to sure but think it was about 18mts back, i think) when i heard screaming out on the street went to the door to see Maurice Ahern & a few other FF Cllrs being cased down the road by my very irate neighbour.
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Greens are looking for first mover advantage, hence why they've called it so early. Too much of a risk for FF to do what they would have done anyway, they're trying to look relevant and don't care about anything else other than their own political futures.

They screwed up and have been exposed on it, they have nothing left to offer, they're history.

Even now we can see the hypocrisy, they've simultaneously complained about the way members of the government talked about the bailout negotiations whilst the Greens kept their heads down, and then they've had a go at the government because people feel mislead and betrayed. They have even less credibility than FF.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

ronk wrote:don't care about anything else other than their own political futures.
Which, of course, makes them unique within politics.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Much too little, Way too late!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Post by BlueArmyOriginal »

Broken Wing wrote:Media whore Mary O'Rourke calls for a FF leadership debate in January and a General Election in February.

"Me too, me too!"
:roll:
Jackie Healy Rae's rowed in too.

2 prime examples of what's wrong with Irish politics saying 'I thought they should go all along'
'And striding away now! For Leinster, is Brian O'Driscoll! He's Running for the posts, he could be running for the Final here! We've got a quarter of the match to go but at the moment the colour is Blue!!' Myles Harrison; Croke Park; 2nd May 2009
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

So, instead of having this bunch of incompetent self serving egits running the country, we'll have that bunch of incompetent self serving egits running the country. Gilmore & Kenny anyone? With Labour in government the public service will not be tackled (& yes I know the banks cost loads of money.....blah blah)

Plus we'll now have FF & Greens pandering to the electorate. This explains Lenihan's announcement this morning that they will not revisit the Croke Park agreement in the forthcoming budget.

Please EU/IMF save us from ourselves & take over our finances completely. Or any chance the UK would take us back? (sure we never really left anyway).
Peg Leg wrote:Much too little, Way too late!
well whatever about the too late part, they can't do much more than force a general election. What 'more' would you have them do?
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

deco wrote:So, instead of having this bunch of incompetent self serving egits running the country, we'll have that bunch of incompetent self serving egits running the country. Gilmore & Kenny anyone? With Labour in government the public service will not be tackled (& yes I know the banks cost loads of money.....blah blah)

Plus we'll now have FF & Greens pandering to the electorate. This explains Lenihan's announcement this morning that they will not revisit the Croke Park agreement in the forthcoming budget.

Please EU/IMF save us from ourselves & take over our finances completely. Or any chance the UK would take us back? (sure we never really left anyway).
Peg Leg wrote:Much too little, Way too late!
well whatever about the too late part, they can't do much more than force a general election. What 'more' would you have them do?
For the party that was supposedly there to keep FF honest they were pretty anonymous over the last 3 wks. If they had any backbone they would have chimed in on the debate and demanded an honest answer from the pricks that Lied to all of us.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Oh I can't wait for Gogarty to call at my door looking for my vote!
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

deco wrote:Gilmore & Kenny anyone?
Frankly I don't care who gets in as long as not one FF ar$e is sitting in a ministerial merc.

The opposition may well be a complete shambles but FF should not be rewarded for destroying the country and every single one of them reelected is rewarding them for exactly that.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

BlueArmyOriginal wrote:
Broken Wing wrote:Media whore Mary O'Rourke calls for a FF leadership debate in January and a General Election in February.

"Me too, me too!"

2 prime examples of what's wrong with Irish politics saying 'I thought they should go all along'
And Michael Lowry makes 3.

Sure they were all going to do it anyway, sweartagod.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

http://www.president.ie/index.php?secti ... 7&lang=eng

Oh thank god, Her Excellency is here all week.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Post by BlueArmyOriginal »

Broken Wing wrote:
BlueArmyOriginal wrote:

"Me too, me too!"

And Michael Lowry makes 3.

Sure they were all going to do it anyway, sweartagod.
Exactly, funny how it took until the govt's position became completely untenable and the realisation they weren't going to get funding for the Trans-Kerry highway and Clonmel International Airport(or whatever) out of them to reveal their true opinions on the matter. Coincidences eh?!
'And striding away now! For Leinster, is Brian O'Driscoll! He's Running for the posts, he could be running for the Final here! We've got a quarter of the match to go but at the moment the colour is Blue!!' Myles Harrison; Croke Park; 2nd May 2009