16%
Something else
4%

Total votes: 45

brian_c
Mullet

Pay TV Poll

Post by brian_c »

This is just a matter of interest, not something I want to degrade into another talk about whether rugby should be FTA or not. just trying to figure out who's gaff I should call around to ;) What TV services do people have (during the rugby season). The options are as follows:

Analogue terrestrial only: Bog 1, bog 2 that weird foreign language channel and TV3 which I am assured exists although I have never seen it personally.
Basic analogue cable only: Chorus/ntl's 17 channels or so. The two beebs, itv, c4 and sky 1. Not including Setanta Ireland
Basic analogue cable(with Setanta): ntl's 17 channels or the like. The two beebs, itv, c4 and sky 1. Also includes Setanta Ireland
Basic digital cable only: All of the basic mixes with no extra premium sports or movies. Includes Setanta Ireland
Basic digital satellite only: All of the basic mixes with no extra premium sports or movies. Doesn't include Setanta Ireland.
Premium Setanta: Cable or satellite with Setanta 1
ESPN: Either on satellite or cable
Sky Sports: If you subscribe to any of the Sky Sports channels
Setanta and Sky Sports: If you have both but not ESPN
Setanta and ESPN: If you have both but not Sky Sports
ESPN and Sky Sports: If you have both but not Setanta
All three Sports channels: If you were not effected by the recession, rich feckers
Something else: If you are lucky enough to pick up Welsh/Northern Irish terrestrial services, or rigged up a system to get French tv.
Its a by-pass. You've got to build by-passes.
Hickiefan
Rob Kearney

Re: Pay TV Poll

Post by Hickiefan »

You should let people pick more than one option for a truer reflection...
Qui me amat, amet et Leinsterum meum.
brian_c
Mullet

Post by brian_c »

Hickiefan wrote:You should let people pick more than one option for a truer reflection...
I considered that but then thought that it might cloud the issue, so I decided to try and cover most bases. If you could pick as many options as possible and ticked Sky, Setanta and ESPN then it may have been three separate people with one service each, it's not clear. I thought that the way I did it would give a truer reflection so we know exactly how many people voted and what services they have. If you have an option not included above we can add it.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

I have all 3 but I'm considering getting rid of Setanta and ESPN.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Discovered earlier this year on UPC that I could add ESPN, about 50 other channels and get a Digital+ box for very slightly less than we were already paying.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

ronk wrote:Discovered earlier this year on UPC that I could add ESPN, about 50 other channels and get a Digital+ box for very slightly less than we were already paying.
Likewise, trying to arrange with UPC now.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

sheepshagger wrote:
ronk wrote:Discovered earlier this year on UPC that I could add ESPN, about 50 other channels and get a Digital+ box for very slightly less than we were already paying.
Ba$tards want more off me. Despite having broadband phone and sky sports.
Edit: pm me with the details if you get time. I need ammo to fire at them.
Last edited by johng on June 2nd, 2010, 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

sheepshagger wrote:
They tried to charge me a downgrade fee but relented when I emailed them. I phoned them up to order it but they didn't know anything about the package (of course) so it was way more money. I just ordered it online.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Am looking at moving to the 'Family Sports HD Pack' - is pretty close to what we are paying at present (but we currently don't have HD, ESPN, Multi room viewing or that many channels).

http://www.upc.ie/television/
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

I have NTL. Sky Subscritpion. Get ESPN & Setanta Irl.

Had Setanta 1 but cancelled as am usually at the Leinster games anyway
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Hickiefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Hickiefan »

Setanta 1 is about to get the chop at Hickiefan towers.
Qui me amat, amet et Leinsterum meum.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

getting rid of the sports programmes for the summer. I have ntl/upc set up ( they put a fancy little aerial on the roof as there is no cable around) but I am thinking of switching to Sky. We keep on dropping the reception for a second or so, usually not enough to bother you, but some night you just cant watch tv for it .
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Hickiefan wrote:Setanta 1 is about to get the chop at Hickiefan towers.
Already chopped at chez g.
I reckon I will cancel sky sports for July and August, and then hit them for a better deal in September. Doesn't look like Ntl will have Sky chanels in HD anytime soon. Which is a pain in the ain.

I have an old digibox in one room (Which is ok for the kids, although they are complaining that they can't pause tv now :roll: )
and HD recorder in the other. Digital select pack (No espn)
I reckon this costs 71.24
So for 2.49 less per month I could have a 2nd hd Recorder + espn + other chanels.
Feckers wanted an extra 5er pm when I rang them.
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

RTE 1 & 2, TV3, TG4 & Freeview
orfeo
Bookworm

Post by orfeo »

brian_c wrote:
Hickiefan wrote:You should let people pick more than one option for a truer reflection...
I considered that but then thought that it might cloud the issue, so I decided to try and cover most bases. If you could pick as many options as possible and ticked Sky, Setanta and ESPN then it may have been three separate people with one service each, it's not clear. I thought that the way I did it would give a truer reflection so we know exactly how many people voted and what services they have. If you have an option not included above we can add it.

And not forgetting the ever reliable ''acrossthetasman'' with commentary in english french spanish and chip on the shoulder kiwi .
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

gonna get rid of setanta and start espn (for baseball), hopefully. Have basic sky+
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

I've all the sports channels through UPC - they're about the only channels I actually watch. Been loving ESPN for the Stanley Cup play-offs this past while.

I can't get Sky at present in the apartment building where I live (thou shalt not have thy own satellite dish lowering the tone or something) but the management committee are looking into getting a communal dish so if they ever get round to actually doing it I'll compare the 2 and maybe make the switch. For now it's UPC or nothing.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
brian_c
Mullet

Post by brian_c »

tate wrote:gonna get rid of setanta and start espn (for baseball), hopefully. Have basic sky+
Let's go Red Sox!
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

brian_c wrote:Let's go Red Sox!
Booooooooooo.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

brian_c wrote:
tate wrote:gonna get rid of setanta and start espn (for baseball), hopefully. Have basic sky+
Let's go Red Sox!

<clap><clap> Lets go! A wonderfully red sox-ish start to the season, although may went well. Who needs consistency when you can have inconsistency
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.