Israeli commando raid on Gaza aid convoy kills 10

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Re: Israeli commando raid on Gaza aid convoy kills 10

Post by Leinsterman »

ronk wrote: They can't just open the border. Israel are controlling it from the Gaza side. Some aid is getting in that way but it's a longer, tougher route to transfer everything overland. Also, despite promises to allow aid in, Israel have frequently blocked it, delayed it, put up roadblocks and imposed wild arbitrary restrictions (such as allowed canned meats but not canned fruit) with no real purpose except awkwardness.

There's also tunnels that supplies are brought through from Egypt into Gaza.
Anything that can be deemed a "luxury good" is not allowed into Gaza so it is brought in through the tunnels, i.e. PCs, phones, radios, TVs, even cars!!!!

It's a highly dangerous job because the Israelis spend their time trying to blow up the tunnels.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
orfeo
Bookworm

Post by orfeo »

as a committed lifelong supporter of Israel I find I am just at a complete loss these last number of years.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

I have not had the chance to keep up to speed with this story, but I have read a bit from todays indo and I am starting to wonder about the aid flotilla.

Earlier on the radio, someone on the "Rachel Corrie" siad they wont be arriving till around Friday time. According to the paper they had "engine trouble", so they sailed from Cyprus all the way to Malta to get it fixed to sail back to Gaza(kind of like to Rosslare Pembroke ferry sailing to France to get the engine fixed so they could make it to Wales). Really it was supposed to be a Flotilla - whats the delay?

The figure given in the paper for the aid on the "Rachel Corrie" cant be right: 550Kg cement(thats just 55 bags), 57 Kg of printing paper and school books & Toys, 150Kg Med supplies including a CT scanner( I dont know the weight of a CT scanner but it must take up alot of the 150KG).

I am no Israeli supporter, but The Flotilla does not seem shy about its media message either. Now the message of what is going on in gaza needs to be put out there, but at what cost? Are these good willing people just pawns in a Israeli /Hamas propaganda war
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »