Life Sentence

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

orfeo
Bookworm

Life Sentence

Post by orfeo »

Mr Justice McKenshie's summing up in the Central Criminal Court really illustrated the barbarity that David Curran showed when he murdered Pawel Kalite and Mariusz Szwajkos. Where do you learn to inflict such unprokoked violence at 17 years of age ?

What is a mandatory life sentence ? 10 years ? Has life become become so cheap in this Republic of ours ?
bgmusic
Knowledgeable

Re: Life Sentence

Post by bgmusic »

Judge imposed two life sentences to be served concurrently,any one know why he didnt make them consecutive?
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

Generally accepted as a 20yr sentence in a single instance. This would then be reviewed at either 7 or 8 years into the sentence and a new reccomenadation could be made. the truly ridiculous element of this is that if the individual behaves well in an environment where they are locked up for circa 18/20 hours out of 24 hours, they shall be automatically entitled to just over a quater of the sentence being commuted. Put it another way, you would really have to try hard to behave so badly so as to loose this 'entitlement'. So do what you have to do and you will walk at the end of yr 12 or at worst 14.

In this individuals case it gets worse because of the concurrency of the sentences. Suffice to say it would be a widely held view that this guy should get 2 lots of 20yrs but this will not be the case. The two murder sentences shall run concurrently or in otherwards he'll serve 50% of what any sane individual would deem appropriate an would expect this guy to serve ........ Of course, i'm wrong and a terrible person, just as the Civil Liberties pinko's or Ivana Bacik........

Go back a few days in the IT and read the diary of the day for this individual( it's such a damming case that his own defence team had to put him up) ...... Starts with cans, splifs and a bottle of vodka, up to da centra and robs wine, more cans, robs a motor cycle ( flys through Rialto passed MANY boys in blue ...... more booze, burns the bike, heads back up the fields......... home with the brazzers that he was 'entertaining' having smoked close on 20 joints.......... and then decides to kill dem bleedin fucken foreigner dat wer after me da up the bleedin chipper ........

Broken home,never got on with his Dad, no job, no opera-tune-it..y ....... blah blah bla............... go f%~k yourself

One of the Worlds most famous Jurists Oliver Wendall Holmes advocated the sterilisation of the Gene pool (Buck -v- Bell, 'three generations of imbeciles' it's afamous one and he was slammed for it) which i have always opposed........ In this instance....... Just.

if you want to change any of that ,
consider the parole board and the early release scheme,
Concurrent sentencing,

but chance would be a fine thing.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

I've never got the point of "concurrent sentencing".

You can be convicted of two murders and get two life sentences but essentially you get one murder for free. So if you've already killed one person, you may as well 'do' the rest, cause hell boy, the judge will just throw it all in together and you'll be out in a same time anyway.

The legal system in this country is a sick and deseased place. But as they're the biggest friends of paedophiles (outside the catholic church) in the country, is anyone surprised?
Last edited by Donny B. on May 8th, 2010, 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

A 19-year-old man has been jailed for life for the murder of two mechanics in Dublin two years ago.

David Curran (19), Lissadel Green, Drimnagh, Dublin, was found guilty at the Central Criminal Court yesterday of the murders of Pawel Kalite (28) and Marius Szwajkos (27) on February 23rd, 2008

The two men, both from Poland, died after being stabbed in the head with a screwdriver outside their home on Benbulben Road, Drimnagh. The murders occurred after a row outside a local chip shop.

Curran had pleaded not guilty to murdering the men but guilty to their manslaughter on the defence of provocation.

The jury of eight women and four men took almost six hours to reach the majority verdict following a trial that lasted just over three weeks.

There was something "profoundly sinister" in the way the two victims were murdered, Mr Justice Liam McKechnie told the court this morning. Passing two mandatory life sentences on Curran, the judge said the men had been killed with lethal accuracy.

“From an incident of almost meaningless consequence in which David Curran had no part, he ended up killing, murdering these two people,” said the judge, referring to an earlier row involving Mr Kalite and three of
Curran’s friends.

“There was no fight. Neither of these people threw a punch. There wasn’t even a scuffle,” remarked the judge.

“There’s something profoundly sinister in what he did and how he did it. There were no blows to the arms, legs or torso and there wasn’t even an attempt to do so,” he said.

“With lethal accuracy, David Curran aimed at probably the most vulnerable part of the human body, the temple. Then by a single blow, which penetrated the skull, he caused his (Mr Kalite’s) death. There was no possibility of
recovery,” he said. “That blow wasn’t enough. He removed the screwdriver and with the same lethal accuracy, aiming it at the same point and in the same way, he murdered Mariusz.”

Mr Justice McKechnie noted the pathologist’s evidence that it required great force to penetrate a person’s skull to such a depth and to remove the screwdriver and repeat the process.

“It leaves a chilling and truly disturbing feeling as to what kind of person could do such a thing, brutal and savage, and one could well describe it as sadistic,” he added, before describing Curran’s behaviour after murdering the men.

“Within a few hours he set about scheming his way out of it. Phones had to be got rid of; alibis, concoctions abound. Then he tries to lay it off on Keogh,” he noted, referring to his blaming of his co-accused, Seán Keogh. He said that from that time on, Curran had done nothing but try to strategise his way out of it.

“Without pause for thought, I unhesitantly and without any reservation, wholly agreed with the verdict of the jury in relation to David Curran,” he said before jailing him for life.

The judge earlier heard victim impact statements prepared by the families of the two victims. Their former employer, Alan Kennedy, read both to the court.

In the letters to the court, both families spoke of their sense of loss and pain.

Mr Kalite's parents said his death left them with "a screwdriver in their hearts". Their son was lively, cheerful, honest, diligent and hard-working, they said.

Although enjoying his time in Ireland, his move to Dublin was supposed to be temporary. He was planning to move home and marry his girlfriend, Marcella. Hours before he was murdered, he was on the phone
making arrangements for the apartment they would share.

“All his dreams will remain unrealised, they will never have a chance to happen,” they said. “A stranger has decided about his future without considering him and his dear friend Mariusz, who also found himself in the
same situation running to defend his best friend.”

The family of Mr Swajkos said was not possible to find sufficient words to describe what a lovely and talented person he was. He was full of life and hopes, but his dreams were destroyed on the night of the killings. His father, who visits his grave every day, said he lost his son and best friend.

David Curran apologised to the families through his legal teams.

Seán Keogh (21), Vincent Street West, Inchicore, was found not guilty of the double murder. He had been charged on the grounds of joint enterprise. However, he was found guilty of assault causing harm to one of the men and will be sentenced later this month

Filthy vermin scum!! This evil scumbag will be back out on the streets in less than ten years to do it all again.

That's the f%~king legal system we have people, and nothing will change until we do something about it!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

An absolutely chilling crime from a very dangerous individual, unfortunately something that happens all too easily in Ireland (people violently overreacting to minor incidents). I'm uncomfortable with the judge's (mis)use of the word "sadistic".
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

This all happened just down the road from where I live and the more I read of it the more sickening it is.

This lowlife c**t and his scumbag family have destroyed countless lives in this but will no doubt see themselves as the victims.....

I remember when this filth was arrested and the judge took pity on him cause he was suicidal. "Please don't kill yourself, you've got so many other lives to ruin yet!"

FIONA GARTLAND

DRIMNAGH MURDER TRIAL: When Pawel Kalite clashed with a group of teenagers at a chip shop, it triggered events leading to his death and the death of his friend

FOR DAVID Curran, February 23rd, 2008, began as an ordinary day in Drimnagh, south Dublin.

In trouble from a young age, Curran, then 17, the eldest of five children, had been expelled from school at 15.

Known as “Schillaci”, he had been in a community detox programme. On this Saturday he was nursing a stab wound he’d received earlier in the week.

He visited an off-licence with his friend Seán Keogh, then 19, at 10am and bought vodka and a few cans. They went down to the canal with friends. They shared the purchases. They smoked cannabis and took benzodiazepine tablets. They went for a swim then moved on to a field at St Michael’s estate. They bought alcopops.

At about 5pm, Curran went back to the canal with another youth. They came across a parked moped. They took it back to the field and harvested it of two bottles of wine and a screwdriver.

They couldn’t get it started so they burned it out. Then they went to a nearby factory. Curran wanted to use the screwdriver to break into it and steal whatever he could find.

Not long after 6pm, Polish mechanic Pawel Kalite (28) walked down to his local chip shop on Benbulben Road, 70 metres from his home. He shared the house with his friend Marius Szwajkos (27), who was also a mechanic, and sister and brother Kamila and Radek Szeremeta.

The two mechanics had been at work that day at Ace Autobody and Mr Kalite was hungry. He bought himself some chips.

Outside the chip shop he was bumped into by one of a group of youths. There was a brawl and Mr Kalite ended up on the ground being kicked and punched.

Curran’s father, who happened to be passing in his car, had waded into the row when he recognised the youth involved.

The local butcher and his landlord came out of the butcher’s shop when they heard the noise. The landlord, Rory O’Connor, lifted Mr Kalite off the ground and told them “he’s had enough”.

The attackers backed off, Mr Kalite picked up his chips and walked away. As he passed two girls who had been involved in the row, one of them hit him over the head with a bottle. He walked on.

Mr O’Connor got into his car and followed him to offer him a lift home; he knew there was going to be trouble, but by the time he caught up with Mr Kalite, he was already at his house.

One of the girls involved called Curran at about 6.30pm to tell him about the row at the chip shop. He had had about 20 tablets, a good deal of alcohol and seven cannabis joints by then. He raced to the chip shop with his friends, including Keogh.

Curran was angry and shouting “was it youse?” He kicked out at a car and slammed its door closed on one of the occupant’s feet.

Curran ran up toward the home of Mr Kalite on Benbulben Road with three girls, Keogh and another teenage boy. He was shouting as he approached the house and he had the screwdriver in his hand. In the front garden, Kamila and Radek Szeremeta saw them across the road.

Mr Kalite and Mr Szwajkos were also in the garden. There was shouting and someone said “all Polish people are f***ers”. Ms Szeremeta asked “why?” Then Curran went for them with the screwdriver. Ms Szeremeta ducked, but Mr Kalite was struck.

The screwdriver penetrated his skull. He fell down, bringing Ms Szeremeta with him. Keogh kicked him in the head. Swiftly, Curran attacked again, fatally wounding Mr Szwajkos in the head. Onlookers heard his head crack as he hit the ground. It was all over within seconds. One of the teenagers shouted “run Schillaci, they’re dead” and Curran ran.

Gardaí and the emergency services were on the scene in a matter of minutes, but it was too late for both of the men.

At home, Curran had his dinner, a curry, and then got sick. That night, he sent text messages to one of the girls involved. She texted him “Ha, I just read what it says on the news. Ha sh!t xxxx”. He replied “Ha, Ha. You’re mad.” Then between them, they tried to set up alibis for the evening.

Mr Keogh sent the same girl a text, telling her how he’d burned his new runners. “No way,” she replied. “Swear to God, we’re f***ed!” he said.

They should name and shame this evil little slag too!
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

ronk wrote:I'm uncomfortable with the judge's (mis)use of the word "sadistic".
Very, very good point....... This drunk/drugged up piece of shite couldn't manufacture the most basic connivance to be deemed as somethin Sadistic........... it 's just base animalist neanderthal substance abuse induced thugery......
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
orfeo
Bookworm

Post by orfeo »

Mackman15 wrote:
ronk wrote:I'm uncomfortable with the judge's (mis)use of the word "sadistic".
Very, very good point....... This drunk/drugged up piece of shite couldn't manufacture the most basic connivance to be deemed as somethin Sadistic........... it 's just base animalist neanderthal substance abuse induced thugery......

Drug induced or not the level of violence is hard to fathom , possibly if it was just one lunatic individual. But the description given by Donny B above is of a mob mentality out of control over a really minor incident and having absolutely no fear of the consequences of their actions.

And I must confess I would be one of the card carrying Bleeding heart liberals that Mackman 15 refers to. At the end of the Celtic tiger years is this all we left with and no resources to do anything about it
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

When is the case not strong enough to bring in the death penalty?

There are, of course, a lot of ordinary decent civilians at home, but large parts of Dublin are infested with the worst type of scum and savagry. A complete sh!t hole.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

I'd generally consider myself a little on the liberal side, but compassion just drains out of me in the case of this Curran guy. As the judge says, an utterly inconsequential dispute that he wasn't involved in – and he stabs two people in the head with a screwdriver. It wasn't a fight, it wasn't self defense, it's murder ... utterly intended and yet mindless.

Let him rot. These are horrendous crimes, and I don't see realistically how any sort of rehabilitation is going to so change him that he could become a decent, hard-working and generally honest member of society [which isn't a huge ask for the vast majority of the population].
Skinfull
Mullet

Post by Skinfull »

As far as I know getting concurrent sentences is like keeping one for later if he f%~ks up. While in jail or possibly when he gets out if he f%~ks up his other life sentence is "stored" and he serves it then. They tend to give them to people on first offences or people they hope to rehabilitate.

Though for the life of me I cant think why this gobshite got them. His act was conscious, methodical and cold. Like Hugonaut I tend to err on the side of liberal but for the life of me I cant seem to in this case. :evil:
"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!" - Kirk
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Only one for thing for this type, a quick drop and a sudden stop.
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

Apparently Currans friends who witnessed the whole thing said the Poles "deserved it" for not buying them smokes
orfeo
Bookworm

Post by orfeo »

suisse wrote:When is the case not strong enough to bring in the death penalty?

There are, of course, a lot of ordinary decent civilians at home, but large parts of Dublin are infested with the worst type of scum and savagry. A complete sh!t hole.
Never, Suisse, never, it dos'nt solve anything.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

orfeo wrote:

Have to disagree.

This kid is evil, plain and simple. Anyone who even thinks about putting a screwdriver into another humans head (then taking it out and reinserting it) is NEVER going to change, it will cost the tax payer god knows how much money to jail this person and its highly liley that they will reoffend once released - by sentancing him to death they will a) will never be able to hurt anyone again and b) will save the taxmoney a lot of money.

If you take a life then your life should be taken in return - its as simle as that.

Stop this pussyfooting around defending scumbags who IMO are born evil, no amount of help will fix them.
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

I disagree with the death penalty, but prison should be an actual deterrent. He should spend his days digging holes and nights filling them in, not sitting in front of a TV watching Jeremy Kyle or browsing the net.

This scumbag will be out at the age of 26 and will think he's great for doing time.
orfeo
Bookworm

Post by orfeo »

sheepshagger wrote:
orfeo wrote:

Have to disagree.

This kid is evil, plain and simple. Anyone who even thinks about putting a screwdriver into another humans head (then taking it out and reinserting it) is NEVER going to change, it will cost the tax payer god knows how much money to jail this person and its highly liley that they will reoffend once released - by sentancing him to death they will a) will never be able to hurt anyone again and b) will save the taxmoney a lot of money.

If you take a life then your life should be taken in return - its as simle as that.

Stop this pussyfooting around defending scumbags who IMO are born evil, no amount of help will fix them.

would you apply this to drunk drivers as well then ?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

sheepshagger wrote:
orfeo wrote:

Have to disagree.

There's no such things as evil, plain and simple. This was a brief act of shocking violence during a drink and drugs fuelled crime spree in a crime-filled environment. Though he appeared to show no remorse, it doesn't mean that he won't later feel it and that he is now an incurably violent career criminal (though it is possible). I don't think it's right to jump to such conclusions as to write off the possibility (or the right to) reform.

I'm saving a lot of my anger (and lust for vengeance) for the women who played such a large part in the crime: whipping him up into a violent frenzy about something he wasn't involved in, sending him to them armed as he was and conspiring to conceal his deeds -- all without showing remorse or compassion themselves.
orfeo
Bookworm

Post by orfeo »

gfo wrote:I disagree with the death penalty, but prison should be an actual deterrent. He should spend his days digging holes and nights filling them in, not sitting in front of a TV watching Jeremy Kyle or browsing the net.

This scumbag will be out at the age of 26 and will think he's great for doing time.

What was it Dostoyevsky said- ''the degree of civilization in a society can be judged by the state of its prisons'' and if anyone knew a thing or two about prison,society and civilization it was Fyodor .