Life Sentence

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Muriel
Seán Cronin

Re: Life Sentence

Post by Muriel »

Peg Leg wrote:
RoboProp wrote:Only one for thing for this type, a quick drop and a sudden stop.
This is a lot cheaper than

......this!
Muriel wrote:I'm completely against the death penalty, or capital punishment of any description. No one, not you, not me, not the judge, has the right to take another person's life. To me, murdering someone (which the death penalty has to be - the intent is there, isn't it?) because they murdered someone else, just lowers humankind to the level of the first murderer.

What comes next? Chopping off someone's penis because they're a rapist? Chopping off a hand for theft? Stoning a woman for infidelity?

No, murderers should be locked up with no TV, no phone, no smokes... And life should mean life. No time off their sentence for good behaviour, if they behave inside, let them see a movie every six months or have a bar of chocolate, whatever, just don't let them out until God, or nature or whoever you believe in yourself, desides to end their punishment.
Besides, been locked up in a jail like that for eternity is possibly worse than death!
So killing someone to save some money is ok now, is it?

Plus, where's the punishment if they're dead? They're just dead.
When I pulled my hamstring, I went to a misogynist. - Brittany (Glee)
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Muriel wrote:Plus, where's the punishment if they're dead? They're just dead.
There's no such thing as just dead. When you are dead, that's it. There's no parole from that.
And I suppose the fear of death would be considered punishment...

Btw, I am not in favour of the death penalty.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Muriel
Seán Cronin

Post by Muriel »

Avenger wrote:
There's no such thing as just dead. When you are dead, that's it.
That's what I meant, they're not being punished, they just cease to exist, no feelings, no pain, no guilt....
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Muriel wrote:
Avenger wrote:
That's what I meant, they're not being punished, they just cease to exist, no feelings, no pain, no guilt....
No but the rest of the world is safer.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Muriel wrote:
Avenger wrote:
You're assuming that there are feelings of guilt. Not always the case.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Muriel
Seán Cronin

Post by Muriel »

Avenger wrote:You're assuming that there are feelings of guilt. Not always the case.
Yes, I agree with you, but the majority of the time there will be eventually.
Muriel
Seán Cronin

Post by Muriel »

sheepshagger wrote: No but the rest of the world is safer.
If life means life, the world is still pretty safe. There's no need to kill anyone.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Muriel wrote:
If life means life, the world is still pretty safe. There's no need to kill anyone.
You and me (as taxpayers) still have to incur the cost though!
Muriel
Seán Cronin

Post by Muriel »

I'm quite 'happy' to pay those costs rather than needlessly take a life.
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

sheepshagger wrote:
Muriel wrote:
We also incur the cost of a lot of other worthless things thanks to our Government. I'd much rather they spend our taxes to ensure these people are never on our streets again than on another useless quango or tribunal.

Either way, I think we all agree that if somebody murders somebody and gets life, they should never see the outside of a prison again. Sod light sentences, sod concurrent sentences, sod being fearful of infringing upon their human rights.
Caveats apply as it is entirely possible that the information contained in the above post is either an attempt at a wind-up, an attempt at a joke or just plain wrong.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

I think the costs could be reduced by cutting out the $ky Sports subscriptions and the flat screen TVs.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
orfeo
Bookworm

Post by orfeo »

Either way, I think we all agree that if somebody murders somebody and gets life, they should never see the outside of a prison again. Sod light sentences, sod concurrent sentences, sod being fearful of infringing upon their human rights.
No , we cant all agree they should never see the outside of a prision again and as for infringing on human rights -wait until your son or daughter is caught up in the legal system !
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

orfeo wrote:.
No , we cant all agree they should never see the outside of a prision again and as for infringing on human rights -wait until your son or daughter is caught up in the legal system !
To be honest if they were found guilty of stabbing two men in the temple with a screwdriver because they bumped somebody outside a chipper then they'd be disowned immediately and I'd feel very little sympathy for whatever happened to them after that.
Caveats apply as it is entirely possible that the information contained in the above post is either an attempt at a wind-up, an attempt at a joke or just plain wrong.
Muriel
Seán Cronin

Post by Muriel »

sheepshagger wrote:
Muriel wrote:
It's actually cheaper to keep someone alive than to sentence them to death anyway.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

I don't know the costs of keeping someone in prison for a life term or to end their life but I'm not so sure that the cost involved should be a factor in determining whether to end someone's life or not!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Avenger wrote:I don''t know the costs of keeping someone in prison for a life term or to end their life but I'm not so sure that the cost involved should be a factor in determining whether to end someone's like or not!

it shouldn't be, but the cost issue often comes up.
I have Bumbleflex
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Muriel wrote:
It's actually cheaper to keep someone alive than to sentence them to death anyway.
Depends on how you execute them I suppose (what a pleasant topic to be discussing on a nice sunny day!) - it could be done Ryanair/No frills style!
Muriel
Seán Cronin

Post by Muriel »

In California...
Death Penalty Information Center wrote:Using conservative rough projections, the Commission estimates the annual costs of the present (death penalty) system to be $137 million per year.

The cost of a system which imposes a maximum penalty of lifetime incarceration instead of the death penalty would be $11.5 million per year.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Muriel wrote:In California...
Death Penalty Information Center wrote:Using conservative rough projections, the Commission estimates the annual costs of the present (death penalty) system to be $137 million per year.

The cost of a system which imposes a maximum penalty of lifetime incarceration instead of the death penalty would be $11.5 million per year.
That must be some drink and nibbles session after the execution! Don't think that is taking the cumlative cost of keeping people in jail :?
Muriel
Seán Cronin

Post by Muriel »

sheepshagger wrote:That must be some drink and nibbles session after the execution! Don't think that is taking the cumlative cost of keeping people in jail :?
Well... two trials are required, one to establish guilt or innocence, one to determine whether they would get the death penalty or not, more appeals are needed, more lawyers who specialize in death penalty litigation, more investigators and experts... And it costs more to keep them on death row than in the general prison population.

http://www.deathpenalty.org/article.php?id=42

In Texas, a death penalty case costs an average of $2.3 million. That's about three times as much as keeping someone in a high security, single cell for 40 years. In Florida, each execution costs $3.2 million. In California it's been reported that they could save $90 million annually by abolishing the death penalty. New York estimates that if the death penalty was implemented it would cost $118 annually.

http://www.fnsa.org/v1n1/dieter1.html