Munster Match is the 2nd april

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

munster#1
Shane Jennings

Re: Munster Match is the 2nd april

Post by munster#1 »

Hickiefan wrote:I don't want the match on Saturday for one. If the shoe was on the other foot would Munster supporters want their team to have only fives days rest before their biggest game of the season all for the sake of the publicans?
i agree with you 100% my arguement is not that it doesn't make sence to have it on friday, if the shoe was on the other foot i would want it for friday.
i was only pointing out why having this match on good friday is such a disaster for fans and bussinesses. BW was asking why people are making such a big deal out of it and i was just explaining.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Broken Wing wrote: I'm far from simple and wasn't being sarcastic. You're saying part time or casual rugby fans will miss out on a game as well as the publicans missing out on a bonanza? Seriously, so what? They'll have their pubs full when these same people go back to watching the English kicky ball on Saturday. I'm sure the whole of munster will survive missing one game and there are options available for those who want to see it to see it. I don't think this game, big and all as it is, is as important as people are making out, especially with the playoffs in the league this season. There are HEC QF's the following week which will draw the same part timers to the pubs.

I hope Celtic Rugby stand firm and the courts throw out the stupid self serving application.
Couldn't agree more.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

The only way it wont be on setanta 1 is if the Dubs are playing at the same time.

Will full strenght teams be wheeled out, or will most of the big guns be kept in cotton wool for the games that really matter the following weekend?
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Broken Wing wrote: and the courts throw out the stupid self serving application
Why on earth would you want the licencing application thrown out? Whats stupid about it? Why should people have their behaviour dictated by a bunch of pseudo-mithraic sun god death cult worshipping kiddy fiddlers?
I have Bumbleflex
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Broken Wing wrote: and the courts throw out the stupid self serving application
Why on earth would you want the licencing application thrown out? Whats stupid about it? Why should people have their behaviour dictated by a bunch of pseudo-mithraic sun god death cult worshipping kiddy fiddlers?
Because it's nothing to do with changing the staus quo and is just a cynical attempt to allow pubs in one city cash in on a game they wouldn't give a toss about otherwise.

If they want to remove the ban on selling drink on Good Friday then they need a nationwide campaign and to petition the government. Instead they are trying to get the courts to give Limerick publicans a "just this once" permission which I find to be stupid and self serving and, despite their claims, nothing to do with being for the benefit of anyone but the publicans.

Also I think you'll find that people's behaviour (if the ability to buy alcohol within a certain 24 hours counts as behaviour) is being dictated by the government and not any religion no matter how many derogatory terms you use to describe it.
Last edited by Broken Wing on March 11th, 2010, 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Broken Wing wrote:
Also I think you'll find that people's behaviour (if the ability to buy alcohol within a certain 24 hours counts as behaviour) is being dictated by the government and not any religion no matter how many derogatroy terms you use to describe it.
yeah, the reason you can't buy alcohol on a particulaar day with religious significance has nothing to do with religion. Of course not.

The only way anything gets done in this country is as a reaction to events. We don't ever act pro-actively. So if it takes a rugby match to remove this particular element of church interference from the operation of the state, so be it.
I have Bumbleflex
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Broken Wing wrote:
Also I think you'll find that people's behaviour (if the ability to buy alcohol within a certain 24 hours counts as behaviour) is being dictated by the government and not any religion no matter how many derogatroy terms you use to describe it.
yeah, the reason you can't buy alcohol on a particulaar day with religious significance has nothing to do with religion. Of course not.
So the Catholic Church has responsibility for the licensing laws in Ireland? Strange the Limerick publicans haven't been on to their local bishop for special dispensation so.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Broken Wing wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
Broken Wing wrote:
So the Catholic Church has responsibility for the licensing laws in Ireland? Strange the Limerick publicans haven't been on to their local bishop for special dispensation so.

Limerick is sede vacante
I have Bumbleflex
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

That'll be why they're in the courts so. They probably couldn't get to see the Archbishop as he was tied up discussing off licence sales restrictions for St. Patrick's Day.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Broken Wing wrote:That'll be why they're in the courts so. They probably couldn't get to see the Archbishop as he was tied up discussing off licence sales restrictions for St. Patrick's Day.
Ah you're just being obtuse now BW.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

DB I'm missing the Ireland Wales game due to a clash with a Kung Fu weekend (which was a sure thing as soon as I got the tickets), have the mother and father of all head colds and a queue of idiots waiting to ask me the same "when will it be ready" question instead of letting me make it ready and this frivolous outlet is the only thing keeping me sane.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Broken Wing wrote:DB I'm missing the Ireland Wales game due to a clash with a Kung Fu weekend (which was a sure thing as soon as I got the tickets), have the mother and father of all head colds and a queue of idiots waiting to ask me the same "when will it be ready" question instead of letting me make it ready and this frivolous outlet is the only thing keeping me sane.
Are you sure it's working? :D :wink:
Hickiefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Hickiefan »

I am all for the secularisation of the State and telling the Church to mind it's business and stop telling the rest of us how to live. I don't think that this really has much to do with this argument however other than being convenient. The publicans don't give a rat's arse about the bishops et al, they care about their bottom line and that's all, which they are, of course, entitled to do so but let's not dress it up as some kind of law reform campaign in the name of separation of church and State. I don't care if the pubs open and I don't care if they don't. All I care about it priortising the players, and the bigger picture, over profit.
Qui me amat, amet et Leinsterum meum.
bluedabadi
Knowledgeable

Post by bluedabadi »

Hickiefan wrote:I am all for the secularisation of the State and telling the Church to mind it's business and stop telling the rest of us how to live. I don't think that this really has much to do with this argument however other than being convenient. The publicans don't give a rat's arse about the bishops et al, they care about their bottom line and that's all, which they are, of course, entitled to do so but let's not dress it up as some kind of law reform campaign in the name of separation of church and State. I don't care if the pubs open and I don't care if they don't. All I care about it priortising the players, and the bigger picture, over profit.
Agree, players come first, end of story. The timing is just unfortunate for Limerick. This match was always scheduled for that weekend, and the HEC QF was always scheduled for the following weekend, so a Good Friday game was always a possibility. Was everyone just hoping that it wouldn't be on the Friday, or presuming it was too big a game for Good Friday and that publicans would be considered more important than the actual players??
This particular possibility has been there since September, even more so since the HEC dates were announced.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

This is the only Munster home ML match that many Munster fans actually care about. It's the biggest one in their calendar. It's different when you go to all the matches. You have a different attitude to things like this than people who are really only interested in the Heineken Cup and a few interpros, you just want to actually see the rugby and anything else is a bonus. Munster sold tickets to this game packaged with Italy tickets to try and sell more Italy tickets. This sort of thing will be inevitable for as long as Munster sell tickets this way.

If an exemption happens, it happens. There's scope in the licensing laws for exemptions so it's no huge deal, there are already certain pubs that serve booze. Won't affect me either way. It is unfortunate that this match is happening that weekend at all. Maybe that's where the lesson should be learnt in scheduling.
QBer
Knowledgeable

Post by QBer »

This is supposed to be a rugby festival not a vintners' festival. Against that I think that the fact the pubs (probably) will be closed takes away an enjoyable part of the trip. However I agree with the branch's statement on the timing of the fixture...
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Dave Cahill wrote:[Why should people have their behaviour dictated by a bunch of pseudo-mithraic sun god death cult worshipping kiddy fiddlers?
+ about a million! :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

Hippo wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:[Why should people have their behaviour dictated by a bunch of pseudo-mithraic sun god death cult worshipping kiddy fiddlers?
You can insult the Church all you want if it makes you feel big and important and smugly superior to your parents' generation but if you really think this is about a justifiable seperation of Church and State and not an excuse for publicans to line their pockets with the excuse that the only way to have fun is by drinking yourself silly in pubs then we're going to have to disagree with each other.

It's one day per year - get over it.
Caveats apply as it is entirely possible that the information contained in the above post is either an attempt at a wind-up, an attempt at a joke or just plain wrong.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

West Brit wrote:
Hippo wrote:
You can insult the Church all you want if it makes you feel big and important and smugly superior to your parents' generation but if you really think this is about a justifiable seperation of Church and State and not an excuse for publicans to line their pockets with the excuse that the only way to have fun is by drinking yourself silly in pubs then we're going to have to disagree with each other.

It's one day per year - get over it.
Why should I have to? I don't believe a middle eastern flying spagetti monster, so what if some palestinian got himself nailed to a two by four two thousand years ago, why should I have my behaviour dictated to by a bunch of holy ghostbusters. I don't particularly care about drinking on good friday - you won't see me in a mile long tailback at Molloys liqueur store on holy thursday night - what I do care about is being told what to do by some german lad in the VS.

Yes, the current fuss is about a sector of the limerick business community missing out on a days takings, the question that should be asked is why haven't the rest of us been making a fuss about it since 1924.
I have Bumbleflex
sally
Bookworm

Post by sally »

Hippo wrote:
- about a million and one. The Catholic Church invested enormous resources throughout the 20th century attending to the social ills caused by rampant alcohilism on this island - why should people have their behaviour dictated by a bunch of manipulative, mega-rich, domestic abuse fuelling, suicide facilitating hypocrites (since hyperbole is all the rage)?

BTW, Mithraism is a post-Christian phenomenon. Just so you can sound even more intelligent next time.